Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Thank you - Heros big and small

Old August 1st, 2005, 12:42 AM

Thank you.

I brought cupcake to the vet. $274 dollars later, she's doing better. She does have holes in her head from the maggots, but at least she was able to get medicine and the maggots removed. They shaved her head so they flushed out all the maggots, and she is doing better.

Maybe it was the fact that you closed my thread, pissed me off, but I went to the vet because of it. Just wanted to say thanks.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=4181
Old August 1st, 2005, 12:52 AM
-

Find the stickies regarding sick pets, just incase there is a next time. I hope you will now enjoy yourself here.
Old August 1st, 2005, 07:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Kevin,I was just thinking of the poor dog and pictured all kinds of horrible things,at first I thought you were a"troll"
I saw a similar thing with a Bunny brought in to my vet,he had maggots on his backside,absolutely disgusting things...but all it needed was cleaning and meds.
I am glad you came back,I kept thinking of this poor dog,glad he's been looked after
Old August 1st, 2005, 08:38 AM

I think this is the first time that anyone has thanked us for locking a thread. We are glad to hear that you took your pet to the vet and that everything is looking good.
Old August 1st, 2005, 11:01 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

WOW a truly decent caring individual who came back to let us know what happened!!

Thank you for taking her to the vet and thank you for coming back to let us know!
Old August 1st, 2005, 12:02 PM
Senior Contributor

So glad to hear the dog is feeling better
It must have been tough, since, if I read the original post correctly, cupcake isn't your dog! Very responsible!!!
Old August 1st, 2005, 01:09 PM

Yey you went to the vet!! I'm glad the mods ticked you off enough to do so. Lucky doggy!
Old August 1st, 2005, 04:13 PM

Sorry for being abrupt in the thread, but I'm glad that you brought the dog in and it got the help it needed. Thank you so much for the update.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 03:34 PM

I wonder if, sometimes, a thread is closed too abruptly. Yes, sometimes a situation might be urgent or serious or ? but I have found that when someone posts who's new and the reply is " go see your vet" they might be turned off by it's abruptness and , unlike the above poster, not go to to a vet. I have the impression(maybe incorrectly so) that because of the abruptness , the sense of urgency is not relayed as much as what could be taken as a fast, easy, impersonal reply. Is it possible to say something like " this sounds very serious and you should have a vet look into that. If an animal is allowed to have diarrhea and vomiting for that long they can get dehydrated so please go to a vet now" or " this is very serious, your pet is in pain, and we here would only be guessing, please take your pet to a vet and let us know because we are concerned...."
Old August 2nd, 2005, 05:45 PM

Kevin - great news about cupcake! At least it sounds the worst is over for the poor thing. We once had a kitty who had a little bitty unnoticed spider bite on his head which then became infested with maggots. EW EW EW. By the time we got him to the vet he was already weak and wobbly. A good head-shaving and some topical medication for a couple of weeks and he recovered completely. REALLY nasty scary stuff though!!!

I'm glad you got her to the vet... and kinda glad the abrupt thread-closing made you mad enough to go. I hope you'll stick around and post with us some more!!

http://www.vasavana.blogspot.com
Old August 5th, 2005, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justncase
I wonder if, sometimes, a thread is closed too abruptly. Yes, sometimes a situation might be urgent or serious or ? but I have found that when someone posts who's new and the reply is " go see your vet" they might be turned off by it's abruptness and , unlike the above poster, not go to to a vet. I have the impression(maybe incorrectly so) that because of the abruptness , the sense of urgency is not relayed as much as what could be taken as a fast, easy, impersonal reply. Is it possible to say something like " this sounds very serious and you should have a vet look into that. If an animal is allowed to have diarrhea and vomiting for that long they can get dehydrated so please go to a vet now" or " this is very serious, your pet is in pain, and we here would only be guessing, please take your pet to a vet and let us know because we are concerned...."
You do have a valid point. Unfortunatly, the rule is designed to err on the side of caution. The worry is that someone will post thier question, then wait to see what answers they will get, possibly waiting for a couple of days to see if they can get an answer. By closing the thread immediately, it at least eliminates the possibility of someone delaying treatment because they are waiting to see if someone has the answer. You are right, there is the danger it will turn them off and cause them to go somewhere else, but, unfortunately, we can only do so much.
Old August 5th, 2005, 11:29 PM

I agree with Ford.

Sometimes, we can't really help either. We can suggest what it could be, what the vet will say, but we can't relieve the symptoms and every minute the OP sits in front of the computer waiting for ONE response that makes the situation less serious is a minute wasted.

Even if a problem is not serious in the end, we can never know that for sure. People describe things based on their perceptions, and those perceptions might be way off, but you would only know if you saw the animal in person, which we can't. What if we tell the OP not to worry and the problem really is an emergency? We're here to protect the animals and part of that is erring on the side of caution.
Old August 6th, 2005, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Is it possible to say something like " this sounds very serious and you should have a vet look into that. If an animal is allowed to have diarrhea and vomiting for that long they can get dehydrated so please go to a vet now" or " this is very serious, your pet is in pain, and we here would only be guessing, please take your pet to a vet and let us know because we are concerned...."
I agree with justncase. Could it be possible for the mods to maybe say something like what's written above and then close it? Some new posters may not think it's a serious problem and if the mods can explain a bit more as to why the thread is being closed, it may get their attention more effectively. It may be worth a shot.
Old August 7th, 2005, 10:25 PM

Usually when we close a thread of this nature, we do say to take the animal to a vet. But we are not inflexible, and if you think that expanding on that by a line or two would be more beneficial and less harsh, I think that we as mods are certainly open to taking that into consideration. At the end of the day, it isn't about being harsh, or the Pets.ca SS, it's about making sure the pets get the help they need.
Old August 7th, 2005, 11:30 PM

Sometimes it's all you can say. Sometimes they come here with really horrible suffering animals, and there is nothing to say but "That animal needs to go to the vet RIGHT NOW!!"
Old August 9th, 2005, 02:00 PM

Hey I was glad after reading the replies. I was also glad that when they came home from vacation they shook my hand and told me I did a good thing. I go there to check up on her now and then, she's doin' great, runnin' around with the other dogs. The medicine must of worked, and the soars on her head are almost completely gone.

Thanks again guys.
Old August 9th, 2005, 08:25 PM
Helicopter Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford
You do have a valid point. Unfortunatly, the rule is designed to err on the side of caution. The worry is that someone will post thier question, then wait to see what answers they will get, possibly waiting for a couple of days to see if they can get an answer. By closing the thread immediately, it at least eliminates the possibility of someone delaying treatment because they are waiting to see if someone has the answer. You are right, there is the danger it will turn them off and cause them to go somewhere else, but, unfortunately, we can only do so much.
One thing that has to be kept in mind is that immediate vet access can be an issue. Ppl may be posting to try to get some info and or figure out some questions to ask while they are waiting to get their pet into the vet. I have recently experienced (as of this week) the frustration of trying to get Monty in to our regular vet to deal with some diaharrea that has been ongoing for a few days. We called our vet on Monday just as they opened to try to get him in and got the run around from the receptionist. The only thing they could give us was a time for Wed.

Today, his symptoms seemed to be getting worse so we tried the 'we think it is really serious' approach with the vet clinic, only to get the same line of BS from the gate-keeper. Rather than wait for tomorrow, we managed to get him into the emerg clinic this evening (the emerg clinic is a nights and weekends clinic only so is only open when the reg vets are closed). Thankfully I am in a location that has an emerg clinic - many smaller centers do not have this luxury.

While waiting for the clinic to open, I thought about posting his symptoms just to get some insight into what may have been causing the diaharrea basically to give me something to think about while waiting. However, I anticipated that I would just get a series of posts that said 'take him to the vet', which would have defeated the purpose. Anyways, just my 2 cents worth. [BTW, I'll give an update on Monty in the next couple of days - hopefully all will be well in colon country ]
Old August 9th, 2005, 09:34 PM

If you post something like "Diarrhea Problem- Seeing the vet today" as the title, people go in with a completely different attitude. I often edit titles to add the "vet" part so that people know it's not a troll or somebody coming here as a cheaper alternative. If people know you are responsible, they will take the advise to a deeper level. Make sure you add it in the title, so they don't jump to conclusions before even opening the thread.
Old August 10th, 2005, 07:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Dogastrophe,your point is taken and I understand what you mean..I came on to this Forum because of a problem with one of my cats and have since asked for advice on several occasions.
Getting a little more insight from other experienced pet-owners will arm you with a little more knowledge when you see the vet,but in serious cases an emergency vet is the only way to go.
I too am lucky to have one,just 20 minutes away.
Old August 10th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Helicopter Champion

Chico2

I agree, getting to the vet / emergency vet if available is extremely important in some circumstances. I think that the problem is that we get so many "my dog has been lying in a pool of their own blood for three days, what should I do" posts that we fail to differentiate between these and the ones where ppl are asking for advice / information while waiting to get to the a scheduled vet appt.

As an aside, Monty's temp and heart rate were normal, eyes were bright and responsive, he was down about 1/2 pound, which may have been a combination of the diaharrea and scal combination. His fecal float didn't show anything abnormal. He was given an anti-diah med last evening and again this morning. Also have another med (cannot recall the name right now) that he will be on for a week. He is fasting until this evening. Will be on a bland diet for a few days to settle things down. I am happy to report that, although still mostly liquid this morning, he finished off his squat with an almost solid looking piece (it at least had some resemblance to form).

My wife called our vet this morn to cancel the afternoon appt. She told them that we took him to the emerg clinic last night. Person she was talking to today (Vet Tech answered the phone, not regular receptionist) says "oh yes, I see that they sent some paperwork through to us .... is he doing ok. Then she says, next time if something serious comes up during the day give us a call and we can squeeze him in." My wife, being far nicer than I just gave her an uh-huh and left it at that. I, on the other hand, am drafting a nice complaint letter to my vet in the hopes that I will see new reception staff my next time in.
Old August 10th, 2005, 08:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Dogastrophe,I am sorry,I meant to wish all the best for Monty and for a quick recovery
What I do with my vet,if there is an emergency,I don't even call,I just put the animal in question in the car and go to the vet.
An emergency to some,might not be an emergency to others,but better safe than sorry.
I too would have complained about your vets receptionist..
Old August 10th, 2005, 08:19 AM
Helicopter Champion

Thanks, he's a tough old guy so I have no doubts that he will be fine in a couple of days. Other than his plumbing troubles he has been in a fantastic mood. Yeah, we probably should have just walked into their office with him in tow. Would have been harder for them to brush us off. Always a next time!

Kevin, sorry that we've sort of hijacked your thread.