Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old March 31st, 2007, 04:07 PM
Flyball Mom

Talking Willow's First BONE

I got some (smaller) raw bones today while out shopping. I gave her one when I got home and I think she liked it.

There are three left, I only want to give her one a week so she doesn't get sick. Can I freeze the rest?

www.dogster.com/dogs/563959

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me
Old March 31st, 2007, 04:09 PM
Flyball Mom

This one tells her true feelings about it:

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me
Old March 31st, 2007, 04:10 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Great pics, she sure looked happy with her bone
I love the second one...
"Must... get... yummy... innerds out" lol

Does she seriously have green eyes?
Old March 31st, 2007, 04:15 PM
Honest Contributor

awe! she's so beautiful and looves her treat!

just be careful though... those "wreck bones" can chip a dog's teeth pretty badly. I would inspect her teeth after a few chewing sessions to make sure everything is OK a safer alternative would be a turkey neck, for example.

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old March 31st, 2007, 04:16 PM
Flyball Mom

Her eyes are amber (that's her eye in my avatar).

Well, the bone is pure white now, all the yummy innards and outards (is that a word?) are all gone. She's still chomping on it though.

Old March 31st, 2007, 04:18 PM
Flyball Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by technodoll View Post
a safer alternative would be a turkey neck, for example.
Do I just give her the whole neck... raw? It won't hurt her or get stuck in her throat or anything?

Old March 31st, 2007, 05:03 PM
Honest Contributor

turkey necks are relatively large, and sold skinless (they kinda look obscene, LOL!). they are over 50% bone (porous and edible), so lots to chew on and kind to dog's teeth - of course if you have a gulper that thinks it's a meal and it must be inhaled, perhaps it wouldn't be a good idea.. serving a frozen or semi-frozen raw meaty bone does slow some dogs down though. and some just like to lick at it, nibble, gnaw, take their time... it all depends on the dog, eh?

Old March 31st, 2007, 05:09 PM
Learning fast

The neck bones are realy pliable and break down quicker, more like chewing gum for a dog than a bone. The heavy dense bones are sometimes stronger than teeth, so the teeth give way first. I use pork shoulder bones because IO know both my 2 can crunch through them easy and break them down enough to swallow without causing problems.
I have a friend whos dog (onle ever had kibble) has the leg bones of our claves, and chews through them in 5 minutes and has no problems, I am uneasy about giving them to her but it's either those or she will go and buy cooked bones from the pet store.
On a side note, watch out for the marrow poops. Another reason to give a less dense bone is that it would balance the squitty marrow poop with the chalky bone poop. Thats as bout as 'scientific' as I think dog food should get
She seems to have enjoyed that bone and it really is a case of 'know your dog' and always supervise with that kind of bone, you can always take it away, and if you have more you can replace it with a fresher one. If only the those bones were less dense, they would make the ultimate kong.
P.S. yes you can freeze the rest
Old March 31st, 2007, 05:13 PM
Flyball Mom

Willow's a gulper, she just doesn't stop until it's all gone.

LOL I know what turkey necks look like, we always have to cook them with the turkey because it's my bro-in-law's fave part. Very obscene.

I will have to see if I can find one to try... maybe the semi-frozen thing would be a good idea for her.

I'm gonna keep an eye out for the "marrow poops" and that's basically why I only want to do one a week or so.

Old March 31st, 2007, 05:57 PM
Learning fast

Most grocery stores sell them as do butchers. Mine won't touch them :sad: but you can buy a 15-18kg box usually for around $15 so they are cheap, addet to slabs of meat they make a great way to balance the bone ratio. Last time I got any they were around 50c/lb so cheap enough to try at least.
Old March 31st, 2007, 06:15 PM
Flyball Mom

Seems all the "waste" meat is cheap. I have a homemade food recipe and one of the ingredients is chicken gizzards and livers and they were so dirt cheap.

The bone is keeping her so occupied, she is nice and quiet tonight, I think I will go and make up that recipe now.

Old March 31st, 2007, 07:28 PM
Boss-lady!

My houndies love those marrow filled bones, too, Byrd-but each dog has a few small chips in their teeth, so I let them have the bones just until they get the innards and "outtards" done. As soon as I hear the first crunch-snap when they get down to trying to crunch up the bones, I take the bones away (and then deal with the sad puppy faces, lol!)

They LOVED the beef heart I got for them one day, too-but it was almost 3 bucks for a little slice of heart, probably less than 1/4 of the whole organ, so I need to find a cheaper source for beef hearts.

The last picture is priceless! Definitely shows how much she enjoyed that!

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad
Old March 31st, 2007, 07:35 PM
Flyball Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skryker View Post

The last picture is priceless! Definitely shows how much she enjoyed that!
HAHA She sure did. Good timing on that one, eh?

Yeah, I took it away, I was hearing too many "crunch snap" sounds. It's nice and white and she marked it up pretty good. Next Saturday she'll get to have some more fun.

Old March 31st, 2007, 07:42 PM
Boss-lady!

Yep, that's when I take it away! It does keep the front teeth nice and white, though!

Old March 31st, 2007, 07:48 PM
Flyball Mom

Well, her teethies are nice and white (she's only 2).

She was outside when I took it away, so no sad face.

She is very sleepy... LOL Worn out by bone. HAHA

Old March 31st, 2007, 08:13 PM
Boss-lady!

That just sounds bad!

Old March 31st, 2007, 08:15 PM
Flyball Mom

Oooops

She's spayed, she's spayed!!!!

Old March 31st, 2007, 10:27 PM
Flyball Mom

So, I made my first homemade dog food! This is the recipe I used http://www.i-love-dogs.com/dog-food-.../Ghoulosh.html tweeked a little bit. I had a pets.ca member look at before using it. So, my house reeks of fish, I actually feel nauseous but, Willow really, really likes it.

Cooking:

Seventeen baggies:

So good she had to lick the pan:

Close-up shot (that's brown rice btw):

I need a bigger freezer!!! Oh, and before anyone asks, so far she's good with all the different foods today (but, then again she gets a lot of different stuff on a daily basis anyway).

Last edited by Byrd; March 31st, 2007 at 10:32 PM.
Old March 31st, 2007, 10:41 PM
Honest Contributor

wow awesome! what is your recipe?... and you can wash those baggies in hot water and soap, just hang dry and they're so easy to re-use, too. OH and we used to measure out portions like that too but got laaazzzy... just pack up Large baggies and freeze the food in lots, let thaw one bag at a time and just scoop out what was needed per meal, stays good in the fridge for days. Much less labor intensive (just a tip from someone who's been there, and is still there LOL! ok it's raw ground meat but same principle) willow must be in heaven!

Old March 31st, 2007, 10:54 PM
Flyball Mom

Thanks for the tips. Those baggies are from the dollar store so I'm not worried about the cost.... but that is more environmentally friendly. I was thinking of the bigger portion freezing, but thought I'd try it this way this time.

The recipe link is in the post above. It's a ghoulash.

I used brown rice, ground beef, ground chicken, chicken innards (gizzards, hearts, liver), canned mackrel, carrots, sweet potatoes, and threw in some mixed veggies as well, garlic, and boiled eggs and crushed shells. I think that's all the ingredients.

Old March 31st, 2007, 10:58 PM
Honest Contributor

can i have some? (minus the fishy bits, LOL)

i recognized the bags too, LOL! you'd be amazed how many boxes you can go through in a month... that's why i started recycling them, I felt bad about the landfills... you can also use plastic containers (square stackables to get the max freezer space) or re-use yogurt containers... i've had way too many a baggie spring a leak on me while defrosting and spill liquid everywhere. I'm not saying this will happen to you, maybe i'm just unlucky

Old March 31st, 2007, 11:02 PM
Flyball Mom

I don't think there will be any leakies, the food is kind of pasty.

I don't think I'd eat it, too mooshy, but, hey, she loooooves it!

Now, can I mix something like that with kibble, or is it better to give as a seperate meal?

Old March 31st, 2007, 11:11 PM
Honest Contributor

you can mix with kibble, but remember it gives the dog's simple digestive system a LOT of different things to deal with... i'd just feed as a seperate meal. but if willow can handle it, why not?...

Old March 31st, 2007, 11:13 PM
Flyball Mom

I'll see what she says.

Or, at least, what her poo says.

Old April 1st, 2007, 09:59 AM
Flyball Mom

I flattened the bags and it only took up a small corner of the freezer (I only have the fridge freezer, I need to get a freezer but that takes $$$$). I also need to invest in a bigger pot, a stock pot, is that what they call it?

She had it for brekkie this morning, I must say it went down pretty fast, and she's very satiated... sound asleep.

Old April 8th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Flyball Mom

So, it's been a week now, so I guess this is the first week update and I must say that since I've started supplimenting with homemade Willow's poos are much more solid and waaay smaller. It makes the backyard clean up so much easier.

My mom asked if I could make some for her next time too. I'm going to make a double batch next time anyway, so I've already given her some from this batch. She has Shih Tzus so I can't see where they would eat that much. But, they do love it, and they are very picky eaters. Ah if only everyone else would listen to me about nutrition like she does.

Think I could start a part-time business making and selling homemade food, especially with the recent recall scare.

Willow is now enjoying her second bone, call it an Easter treat, but it's actually to keep her out of my hair while I work on the spare bedroom. It's frozen this time, so perhaps she won't hog down the marrow.

Old April 8th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Boss-lady!

Glad that Willow is doing well, Byrd, and very glad your Mom is willing to feed her guy the same!

It probably would be a good home based business since so many people are turned off because of the scare.

Old April 9th, 2007, 12:09 AM
Learning fast

Wow, good for you. You'll have to buy that bigger pot now I think a LOT of people are willing to try the home prepaired diet now, it's more work definatly but if it works, it WORKS.
Many people have approached me at work asking about RAW, one has been thinking about if for about 3 months and ran out of kibble this week so she's committed now to make it work, many others I ahve passed on the recipe you have used as a atarting point to get them on their way as they would be going to raw for the wrong reasons and think they are half way their because they give the odd raw bone
I think you have made a great choice for BOTH of you and hope it keeps going so well for you.
Old April 9th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Flyball Mom

Thanks.

x.l.r.8 Great that you passed on the recipe, but you have to be commited to it to make it as it's rather gross when you do the mackrel. I also lessened the amount of garlic I put in as well. Smells fishy, the whole house smells fishy.

I borrowed my mom's big pot, so I will have two going next time round.

Old April 9th, 2007, 09:35 PM
Learning fast

I told them about the smell and she cleverly did it on the camping stove in the garage smart cookie. The other one however did it at work (they own a chinese takeaway) and my name is MUD. there goes my supply of chicken feet They both have seen the same results and one had a defiante chicken allergy and has had NO issues with the goulash, so i guess she will be fine tuning the recipe to see if she can find out what he was allergic to.
I seared a pork liver this morning as Missy doesn't liek it cold, however I had already put the omega 3 oil on it, the smell is either burned into my nostrils, or it's still lingering if it smells anything like that I pity the person stirring the pot.