Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a cat - listings

Old August 24th, 2007, 09:45 AM

Well, today is friday and last night I told the vet that I would come and get Martin (and one other) for re-releasing.

They were very sad at the vet.

But lucky for Martin, it's pouring rain today in Montreal. How can I release him in the pouring rain?

Even mother nature is on his side! I don't know, I'll give him today waiting for the rain to stop and some miracle.
Old August 24th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Poor Marin, I wish I could help.
Old August 24th, 2007, 12:31 PM

I know. He has to come out of the vet's office over the next few days. My bill there is insanely in the thousands!
Old August 24th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Aww C-S,how sad,I've also asked around,but everybody is full up with cats.
Talked to Tom's wife(5 FIV cats)and he's not doing well at all,so no more cats..
I too for a miracle-person to show up
You moved from one place with a lot of strays to another with a lot of strays
Old August 24th, 2007, 03:54 PM

Thanks chico2, Iwould've brought him there in a second!

I'm at the same place. He was the last one left. He got a female stray pregnant. She had 4 babies. I fixed them all. Only one kitten left to find a home for.

After that, it's him and his lover.

@!@$& With the money it took to save them, I could'a just gone to the carribean for the summer.

I have to pick him up and put him back. I have no one.
Old August 24th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Looking at my 3 sleeping so contently,the way ALL cats should live,just makes me so sad for the thousands of cats with noone
Martin is still a lucky boy,someone cared for him,as I know you definetly do...+all the other cats you've rescued
Old August 25th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Can I suggest calling cat rescues groups that might take in FIV cats? I know some do. On Monday, when I am at work, I can ask one of our cat rescue groups. SHe knows of a organization that takes in cats that have FIV.

Also have you checked on the internet? I am sure there are lots of agencys that take in special needs cats that have FIV..just be sure to do your research on them..before going ahead.

ACO22
Old August 25th, 2007, 04:28 PM

Thank you AC022....

I'm not too keen on giving a cat to a rescue for 2 reasons:

1. they are overloaded. I don't want to put Martin in a room with 10 or more cats. Situations like that are not always a better solution.

2. I don't want to pass on the responisibility to someone else.

Thank you AC022 for your help. You never know someone at the rescue may know someone....
Old August 27th, 2007, 09:30 PM
-

I am so sorry, I didn't hear from anyone .... I will keep asking , there must be someone , somewhere ....
Old August 27th, 2007, 11:20 PM

Why not just build him a cozy house of his own?

Like a warm dog house type shelter lined with carpeting and maybe big enough to put inside a warm sofa cushion from some discarded sofa and make the entry hole large enough so he can easily get in it but small enough so that once inside he can easily defend his "turf" it might be ideal to find him a family home but if that isn't possible then at least give him comfort and safety where he is at so that he has freedom and by all means keep him friendly so that he can be given his annual immunizations, unfortunately there are not enough homes for all feral or abandoned cats so if you can at least make him cozy that will matter a great deal, once I made a cardboard cat house similar to a box cave type and put an old sofa cushion in it and set it on my porch and went in to get food for the ferals that eat on my porch and i wasn't gone three minutes and I looked inside in winter and a cat had jumped in and gave birth in that short time. When you can't do all you want to do on behalf of the feral or abandoned cat population at least do what you can do, our open garage is the home to many feral cats and abandoned ones and I maintain a recycling bin on my front porch filled with high quality Nutridiet cat food and containers of fresh water as well I give the going sour milk to the Mom feral cats and often while weaning kittens the feral moms bring their kittens to the bin to teach them where to try for food and often I can capture these kittens and tame them. Once a female feral cat in labor came to me she appreciated my kindness her kittens had died inside her and she was unable to finish birthing them she was in pain I took her in a crate to the vet and he said the deceased kittens inside her were decomposing and toxic to the Mom he euthenized her but at least before she died she had that shot that gave comfort and she had turned to me the only one she trusted when her pain was unbearable she knew I supplied them their food. I cried for her, she might have been feral but her spirit was still very beautiful

Last edited by ellendar; August 27th, 2007 at 11:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old August 27th, 2007, 11:40 PM

He has your friendship and that does matter to him

god brought this cat into your life for a purpose, releasing him is not so bad if you do as I suggest and build him his own shelter where he can live near you and on the fringes of your life, you are already his friend, I have a number of feral cat shelters at my house cupboards on the porch and many in my open carports with shelter and food and an occasional petting he will be just fine he just needs to know where hisa next petting is coming from so get together some bartgain 2x4's and some carpet scraps and get someone to fix him his shelter make it big enough so you can set a food dish in there that is just for him, I have feral kittens that live in my house in a crate occasionally and occasionally they have the run of the house eventually they will be neutered and either released or adopted I make shelters for feral and abandoned cats and they really love their houses cats have an independent nature anyhow just as long as he has shelter and food and love it is all he wants, trust me on this

Last edited by ellendar; August 27th, 2007 at 11:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Old August 27th, 2007, 11:52 PM

YOU are Martin's miracle

In my community and at my house ten feral cat shelters at my house and in my garage, they do no harm and occasoinally get trapped and altered.
Once he has his good warm carpeted shelter there is no reason that they must live en he will be fine,in his own condominium.
utter misery just because a cat lives outdoors does not mean th at he must live in utter misery and be uncomfortable or unsheltered, I think spay neuter and release is the best plan for feral and abandoned but I go a step further and provide them their little comfortable houses and shelters like cabinets and cupboards and my recycling bin filled with dry nutiplan cat food and lots of fresh water and I mix canned cat food with carrots, brewers yeast, olive oil ( it helps with furballs and constipation and you know what those feral and abandoned cats that live around my place look very healthy and when I can trap one they get altered We cannot do everything for these creatures but there are things we can do I even give them toys to play with imagine that I have feral cats on my porch chasing little ping pong balls and they are happy even 'though they come from a feral lineage

Last edited by ellendar; August 27th, 2007 at 11:55 PM. Reason: spelling
Old August 27th, 2007, 11:57 PM

keep him crated in your house for several days after he comes back from the vet

he needs a little break
Old August 28th, 2007, 08:01 AM

there is a sturdy shelter under my balcony already. But trust me, the winters in Quebec are very brutal and not the same as the winters in Idaho.

I would re-release him without a second thought but Martin is a house cat who literally stalks us to come inside.

But I have no choice anymore. He's been living it up at the vet since august 8!
(20 x 16$ /day boarding x 3) + tax = Martin is being re-released.

The 4 kittens he fathered have been adopted (of course). The last one is being operated today and transported to her new home on Friday.

The Mom cat has been fixed. She is also tame and adoptable and beautiful and about 4. If there is anyone who can integrate her into their home, let me know.

I have pics, I just didn't want to take the spotlight away from Martin.

Thanks Everyone. Please don't forget about Martin. Keep asking around (as will I). Winter is approaching and he's still homeless.
Old August 28th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Catsnatcher I'm waiting for a call from a lady I know...I can't promise but I'll do my best. Can you hang on a few more days?
Old August 28th, 2007, 10:18 AM

YES!

I have to pick up the kitten on friday. I can keep him there until then.

I also have Tiger's sister who is adoptable and friendly. But I don't want to push my luck.

So for Martin!

I'll deal with her next.
Old August 28th, 2007, 11:25 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpietra16 View Post
Catsnatcher I'm waiting for a call from a lady I know...I can't promise but I'll do my best.
Old August 28th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Ditto..........

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old August 28th, 2007, 08:02 PM

OMG! I keep checking here every hour!!!
Old August 29th, 2007, 02:41 AM
-

Old August 29th, 2007, 06:57 AM
Senior Contributor

Catsnatcher, the lady could not come through. Her old cat is very close to the rainbow bridge and she does not want to stress her at this time with a new cat. I am waiting to hear back from lady number 2. She will be calling me today. I don't want to give you too much hope. If I had a bigger house I would take him in myself. Can I help with his stay at the vet. I may be able to pay at least for a few more days. Let me know
Old August 29th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpietra16 View Post
Can I help with his stay at the vet. I may be able to pay at least for a few more days. Let me know

What an you are!!! And what a great idea, maybe with some financial help we could help keep Martin safe for a while longer.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old August 29th, 2007, 10:05 AM

Thanks everyone,
I'm gonna have to think about what to do.

:sad:

I'll keep you posted.
Old August 29th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Catsnatcher , Just got some positive feedback. I will know soon. My friend's mother in law is looking for a cat, but she doesn't know what she's looking for. I will call you later or you can reach me for details. Don't give up girl. If you can place 5 ferels, you can place Martin....where is the catsnatcher I know...goldielocks thinks you are cool and cool people don't give up that soon..have faith...
Old August 29th, 2007, 03:24 PM

I'm so crushed! I brought a friend to see him, he agreed to take Martin right away but needed to ask his landlord (who has 2 dogs, so of course he'd say yes) AND THE LANDLORD SAID NO! I tried everything! Every argument I could come up with.

F***K!!!!!!!!!!

Cpietra,

I saw them today. I'll leave them until Tuesday morning. They are getting too restless in the cage.
Please, you have my number. Call me...whatever time.....
Old August 29th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Kudos to the wonderful people at Pets.ca putting their heads together trying to help Martin,CPietra you are a true as are you Catsnatcher..
This lady will work out
Old August 29th, 2007, 04:34 PM

You had to see how he was meowing and reaching for me to come out of the cage today. And to have finally found someone I trust willing to take him and then lose him, all in one afternoon.

Je suis si désespérée....:sad:
Old August 29th, 2007, 08:26 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsnatcher-CDN View Post
Je suis si désespérée....:sad:
Old August 31st, 2007, 08:50 PM

Any updates? I really think about this little guy often.
Old September 1st, 2007, 08:23 AM

nothing.

I'm going to pick him up on Tuesday morning.
I had found an adopter for the 10 week old female kitten but her husband now changed his mind.

So if anyone knows anyone who wants a kitten.... (mostly white with grey patches; friendly, female, fixed, vaccinated)