Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 16th, 2005, 11:55 PM

toronto area: pets acting strange?

Hello..

Tuesday night my dog started behaving VERY strangly around midnight(panting, trembling, very obviously terrified about something) and since then i have talked to other dog owners in my building who have confirmed that their dogs were also acting similarly around the same time.

I have also spoken to several people with pets in the GTA who have also noticed this strange behaviour, again around midnight tuesday. a couple dog owners in my building also noticed this behaviour in the past two days.

has anyone else here noticed their animals behaving strangly in the past 48 hours?
Old February 17th, 2005, 09:21 AM

Yes, my she was up most of the calling me to let her out of her crate because it's the start of racoon season! With the warmer weather they are out and about again. She can hear or smell them from a few hundred metres. Usually happens every Thursday night too. That's banquet night for the racoons as Friday morning is garbage day.
Old February 17th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Senior Contributor

I haven't noticed a difference. My dog is always strange though....just not stranger then normal! LOL!
Old February 17th, 2005, 09:32 AM

They were talking about this on BT this morning (didn't really hear what the verdict was, though). A bunch of people had sent in letters about how strange their animals have been acting lately. I totally buy the raccoon theory, though. Raccoons, foxes, rabbits ... they're all starting to come out of hibernation now, aren't they? Hopefully that's all it is and not some impending storm or earth quake!
Old February 17th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I heard that animals can sense things humans can't, I believe they have a 6th sense (boy if they could talk) maybe there has been a slight earthquake or something?

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old February 17th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

I was thinking earthquake too. In California there is a marked increase in runaway dogs 24 to 48 hours before a tremour.

I remember the earthquake back in the early '90's when I lived in Toronto. It struck around supper time. We lived on the 12th floor of a high rise apartment building. It felt like I was a french fry being shook on a cookie tray. The ex was playing computer games and never felt a thing !!! Lots of people called CFTO and CTV, some walls were cracked, etc. I thought I was having a migraine aura until the crystal glasses started ringing in the wall unit and our golden and cat both leapt onto my lap shaking.

It might be raccoon season, I have not noticed the same behaviour with my guys (and we stayed in the country last weekend), but Montreal may be a bit behind with our colder weather.
Old February 17th, 2005, 10:25 AM
Senior Contributor

That is really strange I noticed that on Tuesday night and last night as well Buddy was pacing around and panting and just not his normal self or as close to normal as he gets. On Tuesday I was a bit worried so I was checking his gums and pads of his feet and trying to figure it out and then he calmed down and went to bed. I though it was weird. Buddy could really careless about raccoons he has no prey drive. So I don't know if that would be what it was.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old February 17th, 2005, 10:26 AM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Yes, on BT this morning they had a medium or psychic(SP?) on the show and he said pets can sense changes in the earth!! There just might be something happening soon! One lady wrote in that all of her cats howled and cried at the window. Spoooky! Maybe they are predicting a good dumping of snow!!!

But too, it could be all of the creatures coming out of hibernation!!
Old February 17th, 2005, 10:29 AM

This is really really strange. My animals were acting up on Tuesday night as well.

They kept asking out during the night which they never do. I got up about three times and they were outside for about 20 minutes each. They didn't really sleep the whole night, they were pacing.
Old February 17th, 2005, 10:32 AM

Could very well be something is about to happen. My cats,well 2 of them have been meowing very loudly since yesterday. My cat nutmeg has gotten very loud and kept me up all night,my kitten too with the loud meowing. I'm gonna ask my mom if she has noticed the strange behaviour too.
Old February 17th, 2005, 10:35 AM
<-----nut ball

Keeping in mind I have only had odin for close to two weeks now, but he has been a little more "odd" in the last few days. He was barking a lot tuesday night in the middle of the night, and was really rambunctious when playing....

hmmm...
Old February 17th, 2005, 10:36 AM

hehe.. i was one of the people who wrote into BT about this, unfortunantly i just missed their story! *curses*

i don't know if my dogs would bother worrying about raccoons. we have a family of them who have lived outside our building for the past 4 years and we see them regularly all year round.

also, some of the people i've talked to have animals that wouldn't have a way of smelling the coons..

according to the geological survey of canada site there was a 2.0-2.9 magnitude shake up north in the James Bay area around the time everyone's animals started acting up, but so far the weird behaviour seems to be confined to the GTA. there is a fault line under lake ontario, maybe it has been experiencing some stress lately?

this is most peculiar! i'll share more as i find it.
Old February 17th, 2005, 10:41 AM
Senior Contributor

So creepy!

LOL - if I could stay awake past 9pm, then maybe I would notcie something. Neither of them have been waking me... I don't even know if they've tried! LOL!
Old February 17th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Senior Contributor

The Ontario Legislature is back in...Bryant came back to town Tuesday.
Old February 17th, 2005, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwinn
The Ontario Legislature is back in...Bryant came back to town Tuesday.
Well, that would certainly explain it! LOL! We missed ya, Schwinn!
Old February 17th, 2005, 02:34 PM

hehehe..
Old February 17th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Senior Contributor

WoW,that's kind of eerie....I did not notice anything with my cats,but I had a BIG coon come up on my deck for peanuts,it does not bother my cats.I think maybe Bryant had something to do with it,for sure
Old February 17th, 2005, 05:06 PM
banned user

This is very weird to me.
I don't live anywhere near Toronto! But the last 2 nights after we went to bed, Yukon was throwing a fit... especially Tuesday night, we put him in the crate, turned everything off, locked doors, etc, like we do every other night and went to bed... two minutes after laying down he started barking his head off.... he's never ever done this. He did it last night too but not as bad as Tuesday.
I checked on him both nights and he was fine... I took him out, I thought maybe he really had to go or something, he just stood there looking at me like why did you bring me out at this hour?
Strange...
We are expecting a storm this weekend but we've had 3 good ones already this winter... I don't know what it is.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 10:28 PM

California, here

My parrot is being an absolute freak today. Wont eat her fav foods, doesn't want to leave her cage. If we take Canada and divide it by California, hmhmhm . . . perhaps Mt. St. Helens or Yellowstone is acting up?

Earthquake here a couple of months age, same strange behavior then.