Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old April 17th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Kitty Consort

Serengeti Cat Food

My cats have been on Felidae dry for at least 3 years now. I give them tinned as well, but this is there mainstay. Sometimes they seem to tire of it.
To offer a bit of variety, I mix in a new dry food every so often.

Yesterday, I bought a trial size Orijen- which they loved, and I know to be a good food.

I also picked up a 4'lb bag of Serengeti.. which I've not introduced yet.

Does anyone else use this food? The ingredients "appear" good, but I'm far from any pet food expert. Is there anything with this product to raise any red flags?

Ingredients:
Chicken Meal, Fresh Chicken, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and rosemary extract). Low Ash Salmon Meal, Potatoes, Sardine/Mackerel/Anchovy/Tuna Oils (preserved with mixed tocopherols and rosemary extract) Eggs, Dried Chicken Liver, Dried Whole Milk, Dried Whey Extract, Kelp, Alfalfa Leaf, Casein, DL – Methionine, Potassium Chloride, Lecithin, Taurine, Lysine, Carnitine, Choline Chloride, Creatine, Probiotics: (Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Bifidobacterium Thermophilum Fermentation, Bifidobacterium Longum Fermentation Product, Enterbacter Faecium Fermentaion Product, Bacillus Subtillus Fermentation Product, Blueberries, Cranberries, Mixed Tocopherols (a source of vitamin E), Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Thiamine, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Iodine Proteinate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine (a source of vitamin B6), Cobalt Proteinate, Papain, Yucca Schidigera Extract.
Old April 17th, 2007, 06:38 PM

Serengeti

I switched my two cats to the Serengeti, when I put my Golden on the ocean blue. They have been on it for almost 3 months now. They love it!! and are doing very well on it. My oldest who is 13 is like a kitten again. shiny coats vibrant eyes, good energy level. were very happy with the serengeti.
Old April 17th, 2007, 06:47 PM
-

I haven't used it but it's a good food. All of TO's pet foods are good quality.....it's their customer service that sucks.
Old April 17th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

My cats tend to get bored with dry food if it's all the same size and shape, I had just switched them over to Orijen which they love. Decided to nip the boredom bug before it starts and I picked up a bag of the serengeti and mixed it with the Orijen. They love both foods. The serengeti is a lot more expensive than the Orijen, but when mixing the 2 foods together, it makes it go a lot further.

Cindy
Old April 17th, 2007, 07:34 PM

Looks great. Rainbow said it- it's their customer service that bombs out... Hopefully they're fixing that...
Old April 17th, 2007, 08:20 PM
Kitty Consort

Thanks kindly for that input on the Serengeti food - I will start them on a mix of this tonight.
I didnt realize there was a problem with their customer service. . will do a search on T.O. threads to find out more about that.

Cindy, yes, I was thinking of doing a gradual changeover to a mix of Orijen and Serengeti, and just phasing out the Felidae completely for a while.
It's a great food, but I would like a change for them