Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 26th, 2004, 09:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Right Chico - cats are not maintenence free or necessarily cheap either. Not to mention those stinky litterboxes...P U!. They are easier to keep than dogs of course, but even goldfish take some work if you care for them properly.

Agree that a laid-back young male, preferably declawed, would be a good choice. Boys aren't overly bright, but are up for cuddles ALL the time. The girls CAN be snotty, can't they!

Anyway, Damien is not gone yet, and may not be.
Old June 26th, 2004, 10:36 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I agree, which is why I suggested she put off her thoughts on getting one until the situation with Damien is handled. She can the focus her thoughts appropriately and not scattered.
Old June 26th, 2004, 12:47 PM

I'm sorry to say that I disagree with some of you who say that Heidi should get an older cat. I really think she should get a kitten - that has no "baggage". Heidi has trouble when her Damien has issues, so if she gets a cat that has issues, it might cause her some problems. A kitten from a shelter would be better because kittens are "easier to train". Especially for a new owner. I lived with cats all my life, but I never had one that was my own responsability, so I got a kitten. I got it used to being groomed when he was young. If Heidi gets an older cat that has never been groomed and she tries brushing it and the cat bites her, there will be new posts started and a whole new set of arguments. Kittens aren't much more work than older cats and they easily get used to your lifestyle.

I really think someone with little experience with cats should start with a kitten.
Old June 26th, 2004, 01:22 PM

Hey Folks! How's it going? Haven't been around in a while...So? Anything new? What's up?

Just kidding.
Old June 26th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Ahh so u finally showed up LOL
Old June 26th, 2004, 01:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Hey, it only took him FIVE pages this time!!!!!! LMAO
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old June 26th, 2004, 08:12 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Maybe this does not apply...

..but coming out of an abusive relationship, large breed dogs do offer some sort of comfort and security. I know, been there done it. Only I have had experience from day one with large breeds.
Maybe this has something to do with it...I don't know.
Old June 26th, 2004, 08:18 PM

disturbed contributor

Tonight has been a tough night for me. I recently found this site when I was looking for input regarding my, now 7 month old, puppy. I did get some good advice from some experienced dog people and have benefitted from that.

Anyway, tonight I was catching up on some of my surfing and have been reading this BB and the one at "terrificpets.com". I have been disturbed by a trend that I have noticed. It is the way a person's request for assistance can become a string of nasty, hateful and judgemental posts. This string recently took a ridiculous turn and that is why I wanted to post; to mark my disgust with those of you who jump to conclusions and post hurtful, irrelevant drivel in response to balanced, objective posts.

I would like to suggest that we all think twice about what we post and to try to be objective. If all the facts aren't there...ask for clarification before commenting. I think that we all owe each other that.

Thanks for hearing me out!

hfd a.k.a. Parker's mom
Old June 26th, 2004, 08:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I'm sorry to say that I disagree with some of you who say that Heidi should get an older cat
I must respecfully disagree with that. Kittens bite and scratch and they wreck your house, and they continue to do it for a long time! They could try the patience of a saint. And for someone who has no experience with cats, and puts a high value on furniture, I wouldn't recommend them unless you are willing to put up with a LOT of aggravation. Also, if you are not home all day, it's unfair to get just one kitten. Two do twice the damage! My own Stinkerbelle has so far done WAY more damage than my dog has ever done. A litter of kittens I fostered pretty well destroyed my guest room.

A nice mellow tom, about 9 months and up (preferably already declawed) would be a better choice for this particular person.
Old June 26th, 2004, 08:44 PM

declawing

This thread is heading off-topic...but...

I disagree with declawing, it is very painful for the cat, takes weeks to heal from, and exposes them to risk of infection when they use their litter boxes. My two, both rescue cats, came with a clause in the contract that I do not declaw them that I happily signed.

My first, Copper, has made it her mission to claw everywhere but the $200 cat tree that I have for her, along with many other sisal posts, tree trunks, pieces of pine furniture, and other manufactured claw-friendly cat items. So, I do not speak from inexperience...I know the consequences of not de-clawing a cat!

The second, Kai, didn't have the same need to claw the furniture and always used the cat trees. While, from time-to-time, he has tried to pick up on her bad habits, he is much more reactive to my admonishments. Clapping immediately sends him off when he leans on an inappropriate piece of furniture.

Anyway, there are so many management tools out there that there is no reason to declaw a cat. Bitter apple spray, sticky paper, tin foil, press-on nails, the list goes on and on. Find something that works and stick with it.

Me...I have chosen not to fixate on the material possessions that Copper is damaging. She brings far too much to my life for me to worry about a couple of pulls in my couch fabric. It is all about perspective (and a lot of positive reinforcement when she does claw on the cat tree or other cat-friendly piece)!!

Please consider this in your decision to adopt a cat. If the cat is not already declawed and you cannot deal with the potential that it might damage your furniture, then do not adopt it!!!

Thanks for giving this some thought!!
Old June 26th, 2004, 09:41 PM

I don't agree that she should have a male either. I have one of each the female I got at 1.5 years and the male I got at 9 weeks, I find that even though my male might like to cuddle (only in bed) more, he is way more of a psycopath(running around the house breaking things like he's spider man or something) than my mild mannered laid back female who has never acted like a heathen in the 6 years i've had her, mind you the male I've had since kittenhood tries my patience on a daily basis. I think it all depends on the individual cat, regardless of sex. And my female isn't stuck up, I like to think of it as reserved and lady like.... And my 3year old male is Dennis the menace.
Old June 29th, 2004, 03:15 PM
Senior Contributor

I just read some of these posts,yes damien, training was gonna be alot of money,that i didnt have and could not take the risk that it would change him into this sweet loving animal,it would always be in the back of my mind that he could turn,as for the furniture,yeah i just got brand new furniture that i do value cause i will not be able to get new furniture again..and for all the other rude comments ...You have no idea what it is like to give up someone you love..............so shut up if you dont.............
Old June 29th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Senior Contributor

HFD,no real cat-lover agrees with declawing,if you had read some more of the different posts you would know how most of us feel about mutilating a cat.
However,there are plenty of cats in shelters already declawed and would have been suitable to Heidiho.But it's now a non-topic,since she no longer wants a cat.
Old June 29th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfd
I have been disturbed by a trend that I have noticed. It is the way a person's request for assistance can become a string of nasty, hateful and judgemental posts. This string recently took a ridiculous turn and that is why I wanted to post; to mark my disgust with those of you who jump to conclusions and post hurtful, irrelevant drivel in response to balanced, objective posts.

I would like to suggest that we all think twice about what we post and to try to be objective. If all the facts aren't there...ask for clarification before commenting. I think that we all owe each other that.

Thanks for hearing me out!

hfd a.k.a. Parker's mom
This is very true hfd - I am wondering though, did you read all of the threads and posts regarding this issue or have you assumed that we are all hurtful, rude and difficult people? This has been a difficult subject for all that have been posting and I think at one time or another most of us have lost our cool. This doesn't mean that we are all here to tear people apart. I suggest to read some of her 600 posts and see where were are truly coming from. She has had a rough time of it, and unfortunately the internet does not always convey emotions as they were ment to be....i didn't mean to be harsh or rude...
Old June 29th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Senior Contributor

I do think it would be cruel to de claw a cat..I also think it is cruel to cut half of a dogs ear off just for looks,but thousands do it...I do love cats and dogs , i just want time to get over damien and go from there,the cat would be ideal being in an apt and all,and i do feel i have alot to offer a poor animal in a shelter,but for now it will be a couple of fish.....................
Old June 29th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidiho
I just read some of these posts,yes damien, training was gonna be alot of money,that i didnt have and could not take the risk that it would change him into this sweet loving animal,it would always be in the back of my mind that he could turn,as for the furniture,yeah i just got brand new furniture that i do value cause i will not be able to get new furniture again..and for all the other rude comments ...You have no idea what it is like to give up someone you love..............so shut up if you dont.............
heidi, heidi, heidi.. are we gonna rant again?!?! you have done the right thing! don't think otherwise. Damien needs help and unfortunately you cannot provide it to him at this time. Therefore rehoming is a necessity.
I watched this show "Animal Patrol" on Animal Planet this weekend and I thought of Damien; there was a mixed breed that was "abandoned" in the backyard with gapping wounds to his neck from the chain that was imbeded in his neck (BEFORE YOU FREAK THIS WAS NOT THE PART THAT REMINDED ME OF DAMIEN!!! )
Anyway, the dog was awesome through the whole thing kissing and very freindly... when the healing process was near completion and it was time to temperment test the dog, before adoption, is where things turned for the worst - Atlas (the dog) had a serve food aggression problem. He attacked the testing hand numerous times to protect his food. Atlas could not be adopted because of this. He was euthanized.
The good news is that Damien is MUCH younger, and with the proper training done now he will have a chance to be adopted again!!!! You did what was best for this dog and for that I am proud of you!
Old June 29th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Ok i will deop it ,i just read some of those things i didnt see before,and just get a little upset,he is gone,enough saud,when i talk to her i will update everyone,yeah that show animal police ,that is being a bad pet owner,i cannot believe the stuff people do,chaining dog outside and never adjusting the collar,i would shoot them//////////////
Old June 29th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Senior Contributor

hfd, it is hard to handle sometimes thats all, we are not a nasty bunch, please dont think that.

an appropriate little poem for life i think-

ever mind the rule of three,
three times what thou givest return to thee,
this lesson well
thou must learn
thee only gets
what thou doest earn.
Old June 30th, 2004, 01:15 AM

Quote:
I think it all depends on the individual cat, regardless of sex.
I couldn't agree more! Any animal, (canine, feline, human, cripes even crustaceans etc) are individuals. The genetics are fascinating.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
Old June 30th, 2004, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzart
Have you been to puppy/obedience school??? If not you must RUN not walk to sign up now! I've read some of your other questions, and it's great that you are asking lots of questions and obviously want to do well with Damien. But - it will be very irresponsible not to get control of your dog's behavior now. He deserves a chance to be a great pet, but needs to be shown how by somebody in charge. That would be you.
WHAT BREED IS DAMIEN?
Old June 30th, 2004, 06:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUTHERNPHILLY
WHAT BREED IS DAMIEN?
read at least part of the thread before you post... Damien is a GSD - German Shepard