Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old June 28th, 2011, 09:30 AM

Cool Thank you Luckypenny

I really liked that link you posted of the pallet planter, and I made one. It's working really well, even though it only got filled up halfway because I ran out of plants and dirt at about the same time. Only one plant didn't survive all the rest are thriving. Here's the planter built but empty, the planter just after planting, and the planter after two weeks. In case your interested, these are the plants. I'm experimenting to see waht will grow.

bottom row, left to right.: watermelon, Purple ruffles basil(died), lemon balm, spearmint, cinnamon basil, butternut squash.
2nd from bottom: oregano, chocolate mint, spearmint, spearmint, garden sage
3rd row from bottom: grand rapids lettuce x 8, Romaine lettuce x 6, spearmint
4th row from bottom: romaine lettuce x 2, supposed to be head lettuce x 4 (Aunt Lois says 3 of the plants look more like Bostone lettuce, possible mix up at the green house?
All by itself up top: garlic chives.
Attached Images

Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-

Last edited by ownedbycats; June 28th, 2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old June 28th, 2011, 09:32 AM

Oh, those white things in the middle behind the boards are pipes with holes drilled in. Someone in the comments on that site suggested it, it helps get water all teh way to the plants on the bottom.
Old June 28th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Senior Contributor

oh man, that is so cool!!! thanks for posting the pics of it
Old June 28th, 2011, 01:06 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Wow, that's incredible!!! I remember thinking it was a cool idea, but I might actually remember to try it next year now that I've seen pics. I think I could put something like that up against the garage, outside the dog yard.

As it grows, could you post more pics, pls, obc?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 28th, 2011, 02:12 PM

I can post more pics, but unless the squash and water melon grow, new pictures will look pretty much like the third picture, because I have already started harvesting the plants. We have picked the lettuce to use on hamburgers and I made peppermint tea on Sunday. I kind of overdid it on the mint plants, but they were the one plant I was pretty sure would grow, and I wanted something to survive. I wasn't expecting almost everything to grow! This year I'm kind of experimenting. I put the lettuce up high in the middle and that seems to have kept it out of reach of the rabbits.
Hazel, the wall the planter is leaning against is the wall of our garage. It might be hard to see, but the planter is a little slanted because there is a stump behind it right up against the garage that we have never been able to fully remove. If you do make one either have several people with muscles available to move it after it's full, or put it upright, pack in one row of dirt really tight, put in plants, fill next row with dirt, pack tight, repeat. This thing is HEAVY and mine isn't even full all the way. If I had filled it up, I'm not sure we would have got it standing.
Old June 28th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Senior Contributor

That is way cool! I can't imagine how people think of this stuff. That would be really good for people in an apartment.
Old June 28th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Senior Contributor

I wonder if I could use my plastic skid???
Old June 28th, 2011, 03:03 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
If you do make one either have several people with muscles available to move it after it's full, or put it upright, pack in one row of dirt really tight, put in plants, fill next row with dirt, pack tight, repeat. This thing is HEAVY and mine isn't even full all the way. If I had filled it up, I'm not sure we would have got it standing.
Good point. Will do!

And I'll settle for more pics only after the watermelon and squash take off!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."