Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old November 23rd, 2004, 08:22 PM

Question After the last heartbreak... seeking advice FIRST

Hi Guys,
After having our last adoption fall through at the last minute due to questionable rescue.... I am doing my research first!!! I do have a couple of questions for you all, as I am still a Newbie with the whole rescue thing.
I found a listing on petfinder in NY state (western), I live within 40minutes of there.... but I am in Ontario....
The rescue is called "Paws of Gold Pedigree Feline Rescue" however they also have numerous dogs listed on Petfinder. The adoption price is $450US for a Boston Terrier. (not sure re spay or vetting... but will find out for sure before I proceed any further!!)
I am also going to read up on how to find the right rescue, and make sure it is actually a rescue... I believe it is on this site somewhere....
Any input, comments, advice is very much appreciated..... I am not walking into this one blinded by my heart!!LOL
Thanks in advance
Old November 23rd, 2004, 08:59 PM
Senior Contributor

I"m kind of curious about their adoption fees. They say the purebred puppies/dogs are 450.00$ yet for a mixed breed, they say:

Quote:
Brock is a Boston Terrier/ Corgi cross male puppy, adorable and very handsome! His adoption fee is $350 due to the cost of rescuing him
I don't understand that.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 09:06 PM

Will they let you adopt even though you are from Canada? Many orgs in the US seem to want to keep the dog within the state...
Old November 23rd, 2004, 09:07 PM

Lucky.... there are a few things that are making me extra cautious. One being what you just pointed out, the second being on their adoption form is says "do you plan to have your new pet spayed/neutered", third- they ask why you want to adopt and give a few eg's (pet, companion, gift, breeding). Now, this could just be to weed ppl out.... but ??????? I'll keep you informed.
PS Lucky Rescue, what do you rescue? Sorry, I was just being nosey!!
Old November 23rd, 2004, 09:11 PM

Lil' They say because we are so close to the boarder, they will consider us, if we are willing to drive up to meet them.... I don't know what they will do in regards to home visit, but that will be a question I ask...

I have another question..... Should I be looking more in SPCAs for our new addition?? Wouldn't they be more at risk, and kept in a more stressful environment then a rescue dog? I see a lot of the rescues have "foster families", so at least they are being loved and cared for.... what about the SPCA dogs though? Any comments/ advice.... putting me in my place!! LOL
Old November 23rd, 2004, 09:35 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

Quote:
Should I be looking more in SPCAs for our new addition?? Wouldn't they be more at risk, and kept in a more stressful environment then a rescue dog? I see a lot of the rescues have "foster families", so at least they are being loved and cared for.... what about the SPCA dogs though? Any comments/ advice....
i know that we (boxer rescue canada in montreal), save alot of boxers from the spca when they are going to be euthanized. usually this is due to their age (not even that old!)and some fixable health problems. we pick them up, get them vetted, place them in foster homes and get them healthy before being adopted out. even tho our dogs are in foster homes, we still need to adopt them out because we (and rescues in general) never have enough foster homes. the more dogs we adopt out, the more dogs we are able to take in and save, whether it's from the spca or anywhere else. i guess what i'm trying to say is either way, you're saving a life. just try to find a reputable rescue/shelter and the perfect poochie for you!
hope i helped...
crystal and vegas my boxer love of my life :love:
Old November 23rd, 2004, 09:39 PM

Some information that may help people help you!

Do you have a preference of what kind of dog you are looking for? Are you loooking for an adult or a youngin? Are you willing to take on a dog with medical needs or special needs? Are you seeking a small breed or large breed?

This information may help people answer your questions or even direct you to rescues in your area (or within driving distance) where your future furbaby is waiting!!!

Good luck
Old November 23rd, 2004, 09:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Seems like quite a few purebred pups for a feline rescue. And very high amounts for ones that aren't altered (I see some are altered).

You're right, shelter dogs are more at risk, you could try your local shelters and pounds, there are alot of dogs being euthanized in Ontario. There are also alot of dogs in foster homes or in kennels in rescues, are you looking for only BTs and BT crosses, or would other breeds and crosses be ok? You can find almost anything here.

If you want to check this place out further, I would call their local humane societies and SPCAs, and ask if they release animals to them. Also if there are complaints on file, that kind of thing. If they don't want to say, which is rare, you could ask someone in rescue to do the asking. They are usually very forthcoming about this kind of stuff, and can tell you who to watch or for if they are aware of concerns, and which rescues are great to deal with. You may also want to ask the rescue where the pups come from and about the question Lucky posed.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 09:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Of course if animals are in foster homes, their temperaments and personalities etc (good with kids, cats, other dogs) would be known.

If you want to adopt a dog from a shelter, I suggest you take the time to get to know it by visiting, taking it for short walks or whatever the shelter allows.

If you really want a Boston, you'll be hard pressed to find one in a shelter, but of course it's possible. I believe a shelter may put you on a list and will call if your breed of choice comes in..?

It's a fallacy that shelter animals are in some way defective. Most of them are there because they are dumped for not being trained, chewing, shedding too much, getting "too big" or owners are moving, having a baby, got allergies, too busy, and blah blah.

Yes of course shelters are very stressful for animals, but a dog with a stable temperament should be able to overcome it, unless it's been there for a very long time which may cause some behavioral problems. Sometimes all they need is a home of their own and security.

Quote:
Lucky Rescue, what do you rescue?
Cats mostly but dogs once in awhile. Or rabbits. Anything that is in need really, if we have a place for it.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 09:48 PM

I'm not sure if you are interested, but there are a number of Jack Russell Terriers in need of forever homes. If this link works it will take you to all of the doggies listed on Petfinder from this rescue.

http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?act...helterid=ON134

JRT are similar to Boston Terriers in that they are of the same line---Terriers---they are diggers, hunters, prey driven and are very active.
Old November 23rd, 2004, 09:51 PM
Herbie the Love Pug's Mom

I would have a Russell in a second if I was a SAHFM (Stay-At-Home-Fur-Mommy)

They are too hyper to be left alone for hours at a time, and sadly I work 9-5... :sad:

- Woodrow Wilson