Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 16th, 2004, 09:01 PM

Dog peeing in house.

I have two dogs. One is a three year old female Australian shepherd mix (her name is Henna) and the other is one year nine month old a male American pit-bull terrier pure breed (his name is Meathead), both have been fixed. This is about Meathead just recently in the last week he has peed in our bed and just about 15 minutes ago he peed right in front of us in the den like it was nothing. He hasn’t done this before and no one was scolding him prior in either occasion. As for this most recent incident he was just out about three hours ago for a half hour and didn’t go to the back door to let us know that he needed to go out. He is typically required to hold it for six or more hours during the week until my wife comes home on break to let them both out. We have had him since he was eight weeks old and he was a quick study when it came to potty training him when we got him. There is no conflict with the other Henna as she was our first dog and we got him when henna was a year old. They play and get along very well. I am not sure what to do.
Old June 16th, 2004, 09:31 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Male dogs get urinary track infections too. And stone's, but Meathead may be too young for that. I see a vet trip in your future.
Old June 16th, 2004, 09:48 PM
Senior Contributor

"Meathead" poor guy,not a very dignified name for a pittie (just kidding!!) Take him to a vet like Karin said,it can probably be easily corrected.
Old June 16th, 2004, 09:54 PM

"Meathead" is just another name for a goober. From the Archie Bunker fame, "All in the Family".

Ciara is a goober too. A super, uber goober.
Old June 16th, 2004, 09:55 PM
Senior Contributor

That name makes me think of All in the Family.....LOL

Have there been any recent changes in the house recently?

Your not scolding him for this I hope???

I would take him to get checked.Just to rule out any health problems.

Any pics of them?..........
Old June 16th, 2004, 09:59 PM

When you gotta go, you gotta go!

If you had him out 3 hours ago, don't you think that it was overdue time to take him again? Maybe he was drinking more and just had to go. I let all my crew out about every 1/2 hour when we are at home. This is because they are more active and do drink more, than during the day, when it is very quiet. I would rule out a medical problem, and then start to let him out more often in the evening.

Let us know how it goes.

Heather
Old June 16th, 2004, 10:00 PM

Sssshhh Mona! ( Our age is showing)
Old June 16th, 2004, 10:03 PM

I am going to call my vet tomorrow and bring him in. Here is a picture of Meathead and Henna; it was taken in January so He is a little bigger now. Aren’t they cute!!
Attached Images

Old June 16th, 2004, 10:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Ummmmmm,I was talking about the reruns...Yeah that's it.......
Old June 16th, 2004, 10:06 PM
Senior Contributor

They are simply gorgeous......
Old June 16th, 2004, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b
Ummmmmm,I was talking about the reruns...Yeah that's it.......

Liar....

*snicker*

*snort*
Old June 16th, 2004, 11:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Beautiful dogs!!

As the others said, he could have a urinary tract infection. If not, and if he is actually marking in the house as he nears maturity, you will have to try other method to stop this.

One thing that seems to work very well for male dogs is a belly band. This is basically a band of fabric that wraps around his middle and goes over his penis. This will make him wet and very uncomfortable if he pees while wearing it.

You will have to keep him in your sight when you are home, and if he even looks as though he is thinking about peeing - a sharp "NO!!!!", clap your hands, then take him out immediately and praise for peeing outdoors.

Just a note - do not leave him alone with your other dog when you are out.If you already know that - sorry!
Old June 17th, 2004, 06:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Mona,Karin I know you are a"few years"younger than this old broad but I certainly remember All in the family,one of the few sit-coms I actually laughed at Before anyone gets excited,I know Archie was a BIG ingnorant bigot but it was fun!!
That's why I figured "Meathead"was not very dignified
Beautiful dogs.....ahhhh those wet kissable noses again!!!
Old June 17th, 2004, 12:11 PM
Senior Contributor

They are adorable! I'm starting to appreciate large dogs more and more! I may get a 6wk border collie puppy this weekend (just babysitting for a friend) but I don't know for sure yet.
Archie was an ignorant bigot, but that was the whole point. The show was a satire of bigotry and made people laugh at themselves and see how ridiculous it is. I wish more issues could be address this way!
Old June 17th, 2004, 12:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karin
Liar....

*snicker*

*snort*

Am not.....

That it was Anita...
Old June 17th, 2004, 08:05 PM

I called my vet and going to bring him in tomorrow morning. "LuckyResuce" mention that belly band and I will bring that up with the vet if he doesn't have any medical condition. One thing though why would I not want to leave them along together? They have been raised together and have never been separated when we are not home. Part of us getting him was to keep Henna company when we were not home.
Old June 17th, 2004, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2
Mona,Karin I know you are a"few years"younger than this old broad but I certainly remember All in the family,one of the few sit-coms I actually laughed at Before anyone gets excited,I know Archie was a BIG ingnorant bigot but it was fun!!
That's why I figured "Meathead"was not very dignified
Beautiful dogs.....ahhhh those wet kissable noses again!!!
"Meathead" was a big, lovable goofball with a hint of toughness..his father -in-law was able to abuse him into submission. He always gave way to Archie.
He tried to justify himself to no avail...once a bigot, always one.
I hated the show for what it represented but look at what the outcome was...toilets can now be aired live! Little step's, I know...
Domestic violence was once left unspoken, like tabu. I was afraid to talk about anything..self esteem is the first to go.
Women are not the only ones to suffer from abuse. I have a long time male friend I have seen left with broken bones and bruises..many bills also. His wife is a friend also and a pediatric nurse/midwife.
This happens in all enviroments, anywhere.
We have come a long way and must face it, so it is not repeated.
Old June 18th, 2004, 02:14 PM

Just got back from the vet, they took a urine sample and he has a urinary track infection. They prescribed some medicine and said it should clear up in a few days. I am glad that it was a medical thing and not an attitude thing. Thanks for the advice.
Old June 18th, 2004, 05:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
If you had him out 3 hours ago, don't you think that it was overdue time to take him again?
My small dog can wait 8 hours, but if this is a puppy it might be different.

As for the "why would we not want to leave them alone together" question, LR could answer this one better, but I'm going to try, so look out.

APBTs are bred to fight other dogs, and even kill them if they aren't dragged away from each other. They were bred to be dog fight dogs, and don't recognize submission. APBTs are very strong dogs, and can kill another dog of a different breed quite easily. While they may seem friendly with other dogs, one day their dog agression will most likely show through, and they will be agressive to other dogs. This happens with most APBTs somewhere in their lives, so you should always be home in case you are needed to drag the dogs apart.
Old June 18th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm glad you found out the problem!

Why you should not leave them together is as Spoiled says. Pit bulls were bred to fight other dogs, and not to quit. Your dog is still very young, but the time could come when he decides he doesn't like the way your other dog looks at him, or plays with him, or there just may be a loud noise in the street, or a crumb under the counter, that could start a fight.

Getting a pit bull to keep another dog company is a No-No! Yours may be okay together until Meathead is 2 or 3 or even 4. Anything could start a fight, and your other dog WILL lose. If you don't want to come home to a dead or mortally wounded dog, separate them when you are not home. This is fact of life for people who know about this breed.

I know you will say "But they love each other!" and they may continue to love each other until the day your pit bull decides he doesn't love your other dog, and that will be too late, if you leave them alone together.

Please read the information on this link, and take it very seriously. I know many people with this breed ( I have a pit bull too) and they have had serious fights and deaths, from just a moment's inattention. If you think you can train, or love, or socialize the aggression out of your dog, you cannot. The aggression is genetic, and there are very very few pit bulls who show NO aggression to other dogs for their lifetime. I wouldn't count on having one of those dogs. My pit bull is not even aggressive, but I would never leave her alone with any dog, not even for 10 minutes. The damage these dogs can do in seconds has to be seen to be believed, and I've seen it!

You will do as you please of course, but I'm just trying to save another pit bull from dying in a shelter for doing what it was created and bred to do.

The Real Pit Bull
Old June 18th, 2004, 07:46 PM

Possible causes

Hi read you post about meathead and I'm replying to you as a registered nurse. There can be several reasons why he may have started peeing in the house. I'll just go over the most common: urinary tract infection (most common), diabetes or diabetes insipidus (with these two there are other symptoms such as drinking excessive amounts of water, weight loss, etc), Cushing's disease (most of the time from excessive use of steroids and it causes a lot of other symptoms as well). If he doesn't seem to be drinking excessive amounts of water all of a sudden then it is probably something pretty benign like the urinary tract infection. There is also the possibility that you've just pissed him off somehow and he's getting back at you. Either way he should be taken to the vet.
Old June 18th, 2004, 08:26 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

You can build up your dogs immune system with shark cartilidge

and btw those are absolutely the most adorable doggies, big doggie huggies to them!!