Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old August 11th, 2006, 12:39 PM

Chicken Soup for the Puppy Lover's Soul Ingredients Label

I kinda looked through this section but didn't find any mention of this. I guess my problem with most of the foods mentioned in the Adult Dog Food thread is that they are so damned expensive. This stuff looks like a decent compromise between price (about $32 usd for 35#) and quality. It doesn't appear to be top heavy with grain and contains no corn or soy. A little light on calories, but that's easy to remedy.

I'm sorry, I can't afford $2 per pound dog food. The nice lady at the boutique pet supply store gave me some samples of Foundation, California Naturals, and Solid Gold Hundchen Flocken and Angie seems to like them, but she likes the Chicken Soup stuff, too.

I am supplementing with lowfat yogurt and a tsp of canola oil each day. A little cooked chicken breast, too. And some cooked veggies when I have them--my 4 month old Poodle Puppy seems to like spinach pretty well. It's fresh greens and tomato season in the garden, so cooked veggies are not an every day occurance.

The one drawback my untrained eye can see is that it's a product of Diamond Pet Foods. I know there's been some controversy in the past. And I've read some not so nice things about dead mice in the kibbles. So I check for additional protein sources in the kibble.
Old August 11th, 2006, 01:12 PM
-

It's an alright food. The ingredient list shows menadione sodium bisulfite in it which is bad but I think Diamond has either taken it out or is in the process of doing so. I'll see what I can find out.

Canidae is also a decent food that isn't too expensive. And, perhaps Innova...it's made by the same company as California Natural. None of those foods have menadione in them.

Also, check the labels for the amounts to feed your dog, as that makes a difference when you're comparing costs.
Old August 11th, 2006, 04:18 PM

Sounds like your puppy is very well fed!!

It is a good food... if you are worried about the msb in it, have a look at Canidae. It's what I feed, I've been very happy with it. Costs 56$CAN for a 40 lb bag.
Old June 10th, 2009, 05:09 PM

Feeding trials

I have been researching dog food ad nauseum, and have found that the most nutritious foods have been put through feeding trials by an independent organization, such as aafco. This product label states that feeding trials were conducted, but by their own labs "up to AAFCO trial standards", which is nowhere near the same thing. Also, crude protein does not necessarily mean digestable protein - it could be old leather boots!! Be careful that you are aware of all the "tricks" in labeling. I am currently using this for my puppy, but only because I can not afford the higher end stuff and it was the best I could get at the time for the right price. As well, I am sick of my vet pushing Hill's and Medi-Cal on me!

Another thing is that although the meat is listed first (showing the highest volume compared to each of the other ingredients), if you add all of the different grains, rice etc. together, they end up as a higher combined volume than any of the meat.

The only way anyone can get past this is either feed raw meat or pay the price for food that is REALLY expensive.

Oh, yeah - apples are toxic to dogs, and canines do not naturally eat carrots, lettuce or any other vegie - these are fillers dressed up as "healthy" for dogs. Dogs are CARNIVORES, not naturally omnivores -WE ARE! Vegies are good for us, but provide no nutrition to the dog, they can not metabolize them. They only eat grass to clean out their stomaches, not get nutrition. Wise up those of you who want to feed your dog salad!
Old June 11th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasong View Post
I have been researching dog food ad nauseum, and have found that the most nutritious foods have been put through feeding trials by an independent organization, such as aafco. This product label states that feeding trials were conducted, but by their own labs "up to AAFCO trial standards", which is nowhere near the same thing. Also, crude protein does not necessarily mean digestable protein - it could be old leather boots!! Be careful that you are aware of all the "tricks" in labeling. I am currently using this for my puppy, but only because I can not afford the higher end stuff and it was the best I could get at the time for the right price. As well, I am sick of my vet pushing Hill's and Medi-Cal on me!

Another thing is that although the meat is listed first (showing the highest volume compared to each of the other ingredients), if you add all of the different grains, rice etc. together, they end up as a higher combined volume than any of the meat.

The only way anyone can get past this is either feed raw meat or pay the price for food that is REALLY expensive.

Oh, yeah - apples are toxic to dogs, and canines do not naturally eat carrots, lettuce or any other vegie - these are fillers dressed up as "healthy" for dogs. Dogs are CARNIVORES, not naturally omnivores -WE ARE! Vegies are good for us, but provide no nutrition to the dog, they can not metabolize them. They only eat grass to clean out their stomaches, not get nutrition. Wise up those of you who want to feed your dog salad!
The AAFCO is an oversight group made up of dog food manufacturers. Hardly what I'd call 'independent', and most any dog food, even the cheapest of the cheap will meet AAFCO standards. That in itself doesn't amount to a hill of beans IMO. Also, apples aren't toxic to dogs.

By the way, this thread is almost 3 years old.
Old September 18th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasong View Post
I know this was posted a few months ago, but I've just now gotten around to reading it and had to respond. Canines absolutely DO eat veggies naturally. My dogs (all 8 of them) line up and beg for veggies. I do not grind them up, dress them up or hide them in their food, they come to me and beg whether I'm picking veggies in the garden or handling them at the kitchen counter. In the kitchen I'll be surrounded by drooling dogs when I'm peeling carrots. They love nice crunchy carrots or beans just as well (if not better than) their dog biscuits and seem to have no trouble digesting them. They also voluntarily eat lettuce, berries, celery (some like it better than others, same with cucumbers), pea pods, potato peels and yes even apples. All voluntarily and to no ill effect. Then again, I do have dogs with iron stomachs, and I almost have to laugh at all the discussion about grain-free feeding because my guys go into the chicken coop with me when I'm doing chores and help themselves to the chicken feed, which is nothing but grain If they eat too much it will pass undigested in some very grainy looking poops but if they only eat a little I never see the grains again. My dogs truly are omnivores, they eat their kibble, veggies, grains, plus soups and stews I cook for them and extra meat when they're working. Our house has very little in the way of waste food, many scraps go to the dogs or else out to the chickens and turkeys.

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com

Last edited by Gail P; September 18th, 2009 at 10:06 AM.