Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old March 29th, 2005, 03:12 PM
banned user

What to do with baby bunny

My husband found a baby bunny outside laying under the jack for his car! He brought it in to me and I thought wild bunnies (if there is such a thing) can't live inside? So thinking it was okay, I let it go outside and now 3 hours later it was sitting on the windowsill to our basement window. This is very odd because every single bunny we've ever seen outside has taken off running with the slightest movement. I don't know if it's sick or hurt, or if it's just that young... will the mother ever come back now that we touched it?

My mom always used to tell me that wild bunnies would tear their hair out if we caught one... although she could've just said that so we wouldn't
Now what do I do?
Here's a pic!
Old March 29th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Senior Contributor

yeah he does look wild, maybe call the vet and see what they suggest to do

poor lil thing, hes a cutie but im a beleiver wild animals really do best outside, however ive heard in the past mothers refuse wild babies if they ahve been handled by humans, wether its true or not i ahvent a clue, im sure your vet or even a rescue might be able to help you out and give you info

Eleni
"I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.'" - Fred Jungclaus
Old March 29th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

He is such a cutie

I suspect mommy has met with a sticky end, which is why he is wandering around.

Our Humain Society here has a wild life department that takes care of these little ones and tries to re-integrate them into the wild.

Hopefully your HS or SPCA has a similar department.

If not, then maybe an outdoor hutch (exercise pen with tarp over it in a pinch) and bunny food from the pet store. At least he will be safe from preditors that way, until he gets bigger.

Please keep us updated on the little one
Old March 29th, 2005, 03:52 PM
cat slave

gosh look at the little cutie!

i think you should keep it and feed it.maybe he's an orphan. WHo knows?
This is a bit tricky i think. Will the bunny mom come back? WILL she take it back? wouldn't it be safer for him to stay with you and feed him?
If bunny mom comes back and she won't want it cos it smells like human, poor thing could be in danger. I think getting advice from local SPCA would be wise. If you keep it though have it checked out for diseases.
Old March 29th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Kitty Consort

Could this by chance be someone's Easter present escaped? A neighbour childs?
Its a coincidence, isnt it?

Seems so tiny though, and does look like a wild rabbit. What a sweet and adorable little thing. Likely the poor mom's met an unfortunate end, as mentioned

I dont know a thing about rabbits .. I also wouldnt know what to do now..

Maybe call the Wildlife Federation for advice .
Tel.: 1-800-563-WILD
Their Website
http://www.cwf-fcf.org/
Old March 29th, 2005, 03:59 PM

oh my gosh he is so cute!!! call the humane society some have a wildlife part or you can try a wildlife rescue.....poor little guy he should be with his mommy. When we lived at our old house we had babybunnies every spring we used to sit for hours and watch them hop around the backyard eating my plants but they were too cute to watch.
Old March 29th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Kitty Consort

Sorry, Sneaky.. I was thinking you were in Ontario.
Those are Canadian reference numbers above

1-800-822-9919
http://www.nwf.org/
Old March 29th, 2005, 04:03 PM
banned user

Well I talked to the HS and they couldn't help, but gave the number for a critter catcher that deals with wildlife. I have the names of a few animal hospitals that take wild bunnies and will get them to the people that can help and nurse them back to health but they said unfortunately the survival rate of baby bunnies is not that high :sad:
At least he has a chance now!
I still don't know what to do with him in the mean time, I can't get there until tomorrow at the earliest.
Old March 29th, 2005, 04:11 PM

I would suggest calling the humane society and asking them what you should do. It seems awful young to be on it's own. I'm not sure if the mother would reject it or not but it's doubtful. I read an artical the other day on birds that said the mother rejecting the eggs or babies you touch is a myth, that birds actully do not smell that well and unless they see you they may never even know. I had a friend who raised a batch of baby bunnies once because the mother got hit by a car (their car, it was an accident). she raised and released them without a problem, unfortunetly we no longer talk so I can't ask her what exactly she did. Hope everything turns out well for you and baby bunnie.

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat
Old March 29th, 2005, 04:15 PM

I would say bring him inside, borrow a dog crate, or other form of cage and get some bunny food from the pet store.

Critter catchers tend to just take them out to the woods and dump them, so you might want to check what they are going to do with bunny.

Let me try to google for wild life rescues/sanctuaries in PA
Old March 29th, 2005, 04:25 PM

That is a wild rabbit and should be treated as wild. Handle it only if you must and call your local HS. If they cannot take the rabbit, then maybe they can point you to the right people.

IF you so decide to try raising this rabbit on your own (not suggested!), then do LOTS of research on what they eat and make a hutch outside. Put solid sides on the wire, so predators can't see it and scare it to death. Put a roof on it and only have enough bare wire near the top for proper air flow and so you can toss food and pour a little water in. The more you handle the rabbit, the more it becomes accustomed to people, the more likely it'll meet a bad end later on. It should remain scared of humans for it's own protection.

Remember, rabbits can be scared to death VERY easily. They have fraile hearts and too much stress can lead to disasterous results.

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!
Old March 29th, 2005, 04:32 PM
Senior Contributor

I had a much beloved bunny who lived to be 13 - he was a Dwarf Netherland. This fellow does not look like a wild one to me but then it is hard to tell with just that one photo! He certainly does not act like a wild bunny if he has come to you for food. He may well be someone's pet.

I would post pictures, email that photo to the various human societies or the local rabbit rescue if you have one. It is also not long since Easter and it would not surprise me if someone foolishly gave a child a real live bun for Easter!!

If it is wild, there is ONE certainly. It will NOT survive in the wild on its own. Baby bunnies who loose their mother often need what is called a "rehabilitator", someone who will care for him or her properly and remind him/her how to live as a bunny.

Here is a directory of skilled rabbit rehabilitators:

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~devo0028/contact.htm

IF it is wild:

Provide a soft nest area in a box with clean towels Do NOT provide extra heat if the room temperature is at least 65 to 70 degrees F because excessive heat can be fatal. If the room is cooler, then you may place a heating pad on a low setting. If this is a wild rabbit, handle it ONLY when during feedings as excessive handling can be extremely stressful and potentially fatal. Wild rabbits usually don't need heat if furred and healthy.

You can use Regular Goat Milk found in the carton at your local grocery store.You can also use KMR (Kitten Milk Replacer) available at most pet stores for the handfeeding formula. Avoid ANY regular milk, puppy formulas, etc.

IF it is a domestic and you want to keep it as a pet, there is more than you will ever want to know here:

http://www.rabbit.org/care/new-bunny-index.html

Good luck, what a cutie this bunny is!
Old March 29th, 2005, 06:39 PM

He is SO sweet. He looks well developed (i.e. not a brand new baby) so he probably has a good chance of surviving. Until tomorrow, I would suggest some good old fashion carrots and veggies. Also give him a bowl of water as rabbits won't eat unless there is water available.
He looks like a wild rabbit to me based on the coloring and the shape his little head seems to be taking. You don't find that coloring in your typical pet store bunny.
I don't know where you live but if someone in the area can do a gradual release for the fella that would be best. Just letting him go now would be a not good thing to do since he obviously doesn't know what to do when he sees people - he has to learn that from momma.
I hope you can find someone to help you out. Keep us posted. I'd take him if I lived anywhere near you but I'm in Ontario so that doesn't help.
Old March 29th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Owned by goldens

bunny

That is a wild bunny. Judging by his size he looks old enough to eat solids. You can try leaving him some lettuce leaves, carrots and a bowl of water. A few years ago we found a litter of bunnies under our deck. Their mother was still taking care of them and when some kids picked them up they screeched in fear. If this little guy is alone and not making any noise when touched he is probably scared, hungry and looking for some companionship.
If you don't plan on taking care of him the rest of his life do not handle him and make sure he finds his food and does not see you giving it to him. You don't want him to associate food with people. You can put an upside down box with a hole cut out for a door nearby so he will have some shelter. Cover it with a plastic bag and weight it down with a rock.
It is odd that he is on his own. Even if he lost his mother you would think he would have some siblings around.
Old March 29th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Sadly, it may be that someone got his sibs and mama, sigh! He looks wild but it would appear he is already used to humans (not so good) but he can still be rehabilitated. I think it must be established first that he is wild, then rehabilitate him. Domestic and wild bunnies are quite different - but you need to know. Plesae don't just send him nack out there alone. Even if he is not a newborn, he is not yet ready to be on his own. He is essentially food for any critter bigger than him right now in the wild.
Old March 29th, 2005, 07:55 PM
banned user

just wanting to wish ya good luck with the bunny. have no idea how to help.
I only ever find baby birds
Old March 29th, 2005, 10:49 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

What a cute bunny!! My cat brought a baby bunny in the house a couple years ago......looked just like that one!(I have a pic, but not here!) She never left a mark on it. I put it back outside in the long grasses beside our house. We have bunnies everywhere!!! I don't have a clue whether or not it survived though. I realize we want to save them all, but just the same, we have no shortage of bunny population. (hope I don't sound harsh because I don't mean to!)
Old March 30th, 2005, 02:17 AM
banned user

Thanks for the replies guys! :love:

We found a place that will take him, it's about an hour away but my husband works near there so he's going to take him on the way tomorrow.
I really believe he should be out in the wild too but every bunny I've ever seen takes off instantly upon ANY human noise or movement and since he didn't I think he needs help. He has nibbled on a carrot and pooped two of the smallest turds I've ever seen! I think he'll be ok.
Old March 30th, 2005, 05:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Sneaky you did the right thing your an

The Bunny now has a fighting chance at survival ....thanks to you :love: and thanks to hubby too
Old March 30th, 2005, 07:36 AM

WOOOHOOO !!!! HOPPY DAYS

Sneaky, as my great-nephew says, you done good
Old March 30th, 2005, 07:54 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

good job

Glad to hear that the little bunny is going to be ok. They are such cute little creatures. Good job helping him/her!
Old March 30th, 2005, 09:50 AM

Good for you and the hubby for helping this little fur ball!
You are indeed a couple of

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!
Old March 30th, 2005, 04:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Good for you Sneaky!! It sounded to me like that bun needed help in some way too! Those little turds are typical of rabbit "buttons", lol Great job and thx for caring for this little one!
Old March 30th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Senior Contributor

I found a carcass in my frontyard this morning,at first I thought it was of a kitten,head no longer there,but his backlegs showed he was a little bunny :sad: There was a lot of fur everywhere and it suggests to me the predator was probably one of the many hawks around here.
Last summer I too saw an adorable little bunny in my yard,but he scurried away very quickly,I put out carrots and greens and he had clearly been eating from it,so hopefully he was old enough to survive.
You did good,hopefully he'll be fine where he's going
Old March 30th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Awwww Chico!! That brought tears to my eyes! It doesn't help that my bunny is still with me in spirit and I still mourn him yet!!
Old March 30th, 2005, 09:49 PM

Yes Cyberkitten, those memories sneak up on you when you least expect it. The comment about finding birds caught me with my guard down. I remember Champ coming to me with a baby bird in his mouth. The bird had fallen from our cherry tree and Champ very gently brought it to "mummy" to make it all better. Too bad I could not make him "all better".

I am so happy this little bunny had its two guardian angels to "make it all better"
Old March 30th, 2005, 10:30 PM
owned by Tucker

I found baby rabbits up north at our cottage once they were younger than the one you have found, we had to move them a little as they were hinding in some brush that we were burning but we moved them with gloves and not our hands, Mummy came and took them away. Birds have no sence of smell or taste so that is why they don't know that you have touched their babies I have rescued many a baby bird, but rabbits like cats and dogs can get upset with you handling thier babies. Speeking of baby birds my last dog Travis found a ground nest of baby birds once and kept on going over and washing the babies. The poor mother was having a heart attack I don't blame her Travis was a 120lb dog, she probably thought he was going to slurp them up. He never harmed one of them.
Old March 31st, 2005, 12:33 AM
Senior Contributor

A neighbour once brought us two bunnies. He had killed the mother and some siblings while excavating a new home - he felt terrible. We raised them for about a month. I don't remember the formula as Alison mixed it but they did fine and were soon eating greens.

When the day came we printed up some "bunnie rescue +" T- shirts for my girlfriends kids and friends and went to the local woods where many rabbits live. We let them out of the cage. We expected a tearful goodbye with longing looks at each other. Heck we even had a picnic lunch. Those buggers didn't even look back as they ran across the grass and disappeared into the treeline.

I have been told since that it is against the law to raise wild animals but we knew full well how the Animal Control would of handled them.
Old March 31st, 2005, 09:24 AM
Senior Contributor

CK,I was wrong about the baby-bunny,at the side of my house was more fur and part of a longer fluffy tail and it clearly belonged to a cat :sad: I have no idea what could have gotten it,but it was definetly a young cat.Not a baby-kitten,but still small :sad:
We worked hard at digging in the frozen ground,but managed to bury him.
The house next to us is vacant,for sale,I am going to check and see,maybe there are more kittens around...