Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old June 17th, 2004, 01:52 PM
have orange tabby - "Red"

Question cat on a leash?

Hi! My 1 yr. old male neutered cat gave me quite a scare this morning...he usually doesn't go far when i let him outside. But this morning we had to go out looking for him. I was worried sick..He's been neutered 8 months ago..i thought he would stay around... i guess i was mistaking. Before i go invest in a leash and stake to put in the ground (you know like dogs have), i thought i'd ask if anyone has a cat on a leash and how did the cat respond...was he insulted. snubby or what?
Old June 17th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Cats can certainly learn to be outside on a leash, if you get them used to it gradually.

Make sure you use only a harness made especially for cats. Never tie a cat out with a collar. Make sure there is shade available, and that there is no way dogs can get to the cat.

You can get thin cables that do not tangle for tying out cats. Just check on him frequently while he is out!
Old June 17th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Since I do not let my cat out, I take Cry Baby out on a leash. I had him a collar made and got him a leash. I walk him just like everyone else does their dogs. He is so cute. I get so many laughs and giggles but he likes to walk and I will not let him walk alone so oh well. He has a shirt to wear when he is out with me in the winter. It says if lost return me to my mommie and than my phone number. He is so funny! So you can do it. It just takes time!

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo

Last edited by Princesss04; June 17th, 2004 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Can not spell today!
Old June 17th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Senior Contributor

My neighbor lets her cat out on the weekend,she has a harness on and is tied to a tree,but never left alone.
My cats,who go out with me,go crazy over the beautiful Calico on the other side of the fence(but will not jump over,I make sure of that!)
I would not leave him outside unattended,other cats could attack him and he would have no chance to run and hide.
Old June 17th, 2004, 05:11 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG Princess, that is too cute!!!

My two cats go out on their harnesses and leads quite often in the spring and summer. If I don't let them out, they sit at the door and cryyyyyyyyyy!!! Makes me nuts!!

I bought them each a harness and a 8 foot lead cord (matching colours of course ). I always go out there with them, and sit and read or draw while they play and eat the grass. They LOVE it!! They aren't insulted at all!! They are more insulted if I DON'T take them out!!

Just gradually get Red used to the harness, put it on him inside, let him wear it around the house for awhile. He will probably try to flip around and roll it off his body, but if it fits properly it won't come off!! Good luck!!
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old June 17th, 2004, 06:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Of course you can teach your cat to wear a harness. Follow the advice of the other people here, and you shouldn't have any trouble.

However, you could also make your cat a ''cat run'' out of latice or chain link or whatever materials. You can also (for a price) get metal dog fences that fold up that have tops on them. You could get your cat one of those, and just let him out in that.
Old July 30th, 2004, 08:32 PM

Talking

My baby goes outside on a leash. She didn't take long to adjust to it. First she was a little scared, tried biting it off. Which lasted only a day or so. Now she sits by the door and yowls to go out. Everyday. She loves it. When I grab her harness and leash she comes running to get it on and we're out the door. She's even beginning to like going for little walks. But she is only 4 months old and I started her with it pretty young. Plus I'm always with her. There are too many dogs and cats around to let her outside alone. Just go slow. Get him used to the harness at first. Put it on for a little while each day. Then hook the leash on. Once he's comfortable with that, you can allow him outside. All I did was leave my door open and allowed her to walk out on her own. It was less shocking for her, doing it on her own terms. At first she stayed near the door, any sudden noises and she ran back inside. Now she could care less. It's so cute. Good luck.
Old July 31st, 2004, 12:08 PM

Wow, I had no idea that so many people take their cats out on leashes. I always thought people who did that were strange, but from the looks of things that's not the case at all. My Bob saw a cat on a leash the other day for the first time. Oh, my god. He couldn't stop staring at it even when we were a block away. Can't imagine what he was thinking. Bad Bob.

Anyhoo, I'd be very careful about the idea of tying them up outside. So many predators, and stupid people who don't control their dogs on off leash walks.

As well, a friend of mine had to beat four racoons off their cat with a hockey stick last year. And it didn't take just one whack with the stick either. They were quite intent on getting their prey. They had cornered the cat in the backyard and were closing in for the kill. They were going to rip the cat apart and my friend had seen the injuries their cats got from previous nastieness with racoons. Not very nice. Their cats weren't tied up at the time, so I guess it could happen with any cat that was outside, which I think is normal and good for cats to get some fresh air and explore their turf. A cat on a line just worries me. They just can't get away and it takes away their strongest defense mechanism which in my opinion is their agility.
Old July 31st, 2004, 12:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
As well, a friend of mine had to beat four racoons off their cat with a hockey stick last year

My neighbours leave their cat outside on a line in their front yard, despite my repeated warnings about idiots around here who walk their untrained dogs off leash. This cat is a sitting duck (so to speak) for any of them.

My own 12 year old cat was chased up a tree by one these dogs, and would have been dead or severely mauled had he been tied.

If you want to take your cat out on a leash, do it only in a securely fenced yard, and watch all the time! The safest way to have cats outside is in a secure enclosure.
Old July 31st, 2004, 04:06 PM
Senior Contributor

My cats,as everyone knows by now are outside with me in a completely fenced backyard.Every new kitten get started off on a leash,never tied to anything,we let them sniff around and eventually take the leash off.
Young Vinnie has scaled the fence(8 feet) a couple of times,but will sit on the other side of the gate meowing until we let him back in.We also use the waterhose as a training-tool(bad mommy!!)but I have never had to get them wet,they are perfectly content watching the birds at the feeders,sometimes more than watching also catching bugs,eating grass,climbing the trees etc...Rocky and Chico would not dream of jumping the fence,they know what a good life they have Vinnie is still a little adventuress...
Most cats energylevel is not that great and after a while of chasing each other,they are pooped and will lay down for a rest in the shade.
I have an advantage in that I don't work anymore and love the outdoors and gardening,we usually stay out for 3 hours or so,MUCH shorter in the winter,but we go out every day.
Phew...I did not mean to go on for soo long,just really wanted to say,it is possible to train a cat,they are smarter than you think,even taking them for a walk on a leash,if trained from kitten-hood.
Old August 3rd, 2004, 01:57 PM

A friend of mine has a dog and a cat. Before he was married, his cat and dog were bestest buddies. They would sleep together, eat together, etc. One day he was taking his dog for a walk, and looked behind him. There was the cat walking along with them! He couldn't believe it, and kept walking. The cat followed them along for the whole walk and this continued on many occasions. The cat has a cat door and can get in and out of the house whenever he wants, so when he knew they were going for a walk, he'd run out after them and go for a walk too. People would yell to him that there was a cat very close by and to watch that his dog didn't attack it. When he responded that he knew already that the cat was there and that it was in fact his cat, people either found this funny or just plain strange.

Now my friend is married and they have three dogs. Unfortunately, the other two dogs don't appreciate the cat and he stays in the basement suite downstairs. No more walks with the dog and cat.
Old August 3rd, 2004, 02:09 PM

My cats love going outside. There are no problems with putting the harnesses on them..they even know which cupboard they are kept in and will come running when they hear that door being open.

I take them into my backyard and I never leave them alone. You never know when another animal will come barging into your yard. I make sure that they can walk back into the house with their leashes on, so they only stay out for as long as they want. They have shady spots they can lie in and a few favorite sun basking areas.

It's a great way for house cats to get some exercise...Fall leaves and butterflies make great toys! And if there is nothing in the air that day that is interesting they are facinated by bubbles.

Good luck...it's also great entertainment for us...you never know what is going to catch their attention, or how they'll respond
Old August 17th, 2004, 01:40 PM
Animal Lover!!

We always used to take out cats out on leashes, because we didn't have our fence done yet (new house), but since we have it done now, we let them roam the yard. BUT only when we are outside with them at all times. We never leave them unattended...just in case. There is a guy who lives across the alley that tempts Talon to no end... he will sit and watch it for hours at a time! It's cute. But I still put them on their leashes occaisonally, if I need to run into the house quick and just to keep them used to the leashes.
Talon 7yrs - Male
My Little Chocolate Girl - Solara - ** 10 MONTHS **