Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 11th, 2006, 04:09 PM

Kitten Hunting

Does anyone know when kitten season starts?

Okay, that can be taken wrong way

I've put my name in with a few montreal area rescues and am surprised at how little they have available. I always thought that there were tons of kittens out there needing homes. I gather this is only true during the warmer months?

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for finding a kitten sooner. Are newspapers a good source, or should I stick with the rescues? We have a young kitten right now so it would be great timing to get them together and let them socialize and burn off their energy together.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the perfect kitten will turn up, but if anyone has any advice that will help me with the hunt... er.... search... then I'd appreciate it!

Thanks y'all.
Old March 11th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Senior Contributor

go into pet finder, lots of rescue that carry cats and kittens good luck
Old March 11th, 2006, 04:50 PM

I always thought petfinder was the place to look, too, but there are only two female kittens available in the Montreal area and neither is the kitten for me. When you're going to make a twenty year commitment to a cat, they'd better make your heart melt!

It might be best to wait for kitten season, but if anyone knows any other resources, please let me know!
Old March 11th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Poe,I don't know,but since I've joined Pets.ca it seems it's kitten-season all year around.
Of course if you want a specific colour or breed it might be a little more difficult.
Good Luck!
Old March 11th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Perhaps you should specify what you are looking for and then we can help you find one. There's kittens available all over the place but sometimes hard to locate if you don't know where to look.
Old March 11th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Senior Contributor

There are no kittens available because all the litters born outside during the winter died hidden away in the snow and ice.

Don't worry - soon there will be a huge assortment to choose from because people are too irresponsible and ignorant to have their cats spay/neutered.
Old March 12th, 2006, 08:50 AM

Well, if anyone does know of any female kittens who have made it into foster homes, please pm me.

I'm not looking for a particular breed, but I do like long-haired cats. Since my cat is black, I am looking for a different colour this time around, but don't have anything in mind. Just have to see. As for personality, she should be healthy and, well, catlike.

Since I'm looking for the kitten experience this time around, I'm thinking pretty young--if it has the opportunity to stay with its mother until twelve weeks, that would be great.

Hope there's one out there who has made it into a nice, cozy foster home. It would be so great to have the two kittens play together, but if I have to wait, I'm sure Poe will be kittenish for some time yet. Do they ever grow up?
Old March 12th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Senior Contributor

I was at the SPCA Montreal last week, they had several young kittens available for adoption. If you wait for couple of more weeks, the foster homes; rescues and SPCA'S unfortunally will be overflowing with kittens.
Old March 12th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Senior Contributor

How old is your kitten? You'll need to adopt one near the same age, as a very young kitten could be hurt by rough play.
Old March 12th, 2006, 10:41 AM
cat slave

i am SHOCKED!!

Kitten hunting should be banned!! they're just too cute and innocent. Save the kittens!!

why not try the SPCA? although when I got my cat there I saw no kittens, you could get lucky.
Old March 12th, 2006, 10:55 AM

Lucky, the resident kitten is 8 weeks. How far apart in age would be okay?
Old March 12th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh he's just a little baby!

If you get a kitten in the next month or so, I wouldn't get one that is more than 2 weeks older or younger.
Old March 12th, 2006, 11:18 AM

My sister's kitten is the baby--a little girl. Poe is actually the two-year old male, still kittenish. He seems to have good claw control when playing, but we'll keep a close watch. And hopefully get the little girl a playmate her own age so she doesn't have to go scare Poe half to death with those razor-sharp claws.