Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Puppy health

Old January 12th, 2013, 09:15 AM

Special needs puppy question

Hi everyone! I am Jodi and new here. We just had a litter of chihuahua puppies 5 weeks ago with one that almost died! Thankfully we were able to hand feed her and I'm happy to say, she's still alive and doing well! Not without a few problems though. Day 3 I brought her to our vets and unfortunately is blind in one eye, she has a crooked jaw and cleft pallette so she's been very challenging for us. The way her jaw is, she could barely suck from a bottle and could not nurse at all.
I'm happy to say she's now 5 wks old and can eat from a small saucer and she gets the amount she wants! My question is that she has started suckling her blankets or anything that gets close to her face even after she's full and finished her feeding. I also don't want to over feed her either so I'm not sure what this is all about.
One other thing too is that she is so very tiny. Like the size of small hamster!
We have been on a every four hour around the clock feeding schedule. Does anyone know when we could stop the nightly feedings? We are so sleep deprived and hope to see a little light at the end of the tunnel! Thanks for any advice!!!
Old January 13th, 2013, 12:00 AM

Sometimes the blanket suckling is a comfort act.
As for when to stop night feeding I think your vet is the best person to ask this question, at the same time he/she can evaluate how the little one is developing & if she is getting enough nourishment.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old January 13th, 2013, 07:39 PM

Thank you very much! A few more weeks and she'll be going in for her 8 week old check up where she'll be examined and I'll have those many questions answered!
Old January 14th, 2013, 10:30 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't think I'd be waiting "a few more weeks" to find out if she's being fed enough. A quick trip to the vet sounds to be in order to make certain her needs are being met. She is not your average pup and may require something other than what you are doing. Good luck to you and the pups.