Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old August 11th, 2009, 08:58 AM
-

Daisy has changed her toilet habits

We have had our Bunny Daisy for over 6 years, she is approximately 8/9 years old...she lives in a pen and has used her litter box diligently since we have had her.....up until recently that is . In the last month or so she has been using her pen for her toilet needs and shunning her litter box....no changes have been made to her pen or litter.

I'm just throwing this out there to see if anyone has any suggestions as to what may have caused this change in her toilet habits.
Old August 11th, 2009, 09:03 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Could it be too painful for her now to get into the box? What if you tried a cookie sheet for her litter? When it comes to bunnies I'm . mf.
Old August 11th, 2009, 09:12 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Could it be too painful for her now to get into the box? What if you tried a cookie sheet for her litter? When it comes to bunnies I'm . mf.
I was thinking along those lines 14k...if I could find something with a bit of a side on it, but lower than her litter box, but a bit taller than a cookie sheet.....in the meantime I'll replace it with a cookie sheet, shavings spread around the cage is better than her pee.....thanks for the idea m/f
Old August 11th, 2009, 09:19 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

She's getting sort of old for a bunny, isn't she Chris? Do bunnies get dementia?

Keep in mind, however, that what hazel doesn't know about bunnies would overwhelm the Library of Congress

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 11th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Half Way To Crazy

what about a flat lid from a pot?? the sides are a little higher but not as high as a little box.. just unscrew the handle??

I know nothing about bunnies.
Old August 11th, 2009, 09:30 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
I was thinking along those lines 14k...if I could find something with a bit of a side on it, but lower than her litter box, but a bit taller than a cookie sheet.....in the meantime I'll replace it with a cookie sheet, shavings spread around the cage is better than her pee.....thanks for the idea m/f
So what about one of the tinfoil pans? Y'know, the ones they have for cooking turkeys. You can turn the sides down to the height you want. Just cut the ends, turn it down to the right height , then tape the ends so Daisy isn't cutting herself on the sharp ends. Maybe that would work?
Old August 11th, 2009, 09:30 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
She's getting sort of old for a bunny, isn't she Chris? Do bunnies get dementia?

I've heard of some bunnies living until 14 Hazel, her particular breed I don't know.....she does have some health issues, the main one being a large fatty lump on her side, I'm thinking that maybe that is causing her discomfort and pushing on something on the inside...other than her change in toilet habits, she is living as normal as can be.

Keep in mind, however, that what hazel doesn't know about bunnies would overwhelm the Library of Congress
When you take into consideration that we have had a Bunny in our lives, probably a total of 15 years.....I know dick about Bunnies
Old August 11th, 2009, 09:32 AM
-

Quote:
So what about one of the tinfoil pans? Y'know, the ones they have for cooking turkeys. You can turn the sides down to the height you want. Just cut the ends, turn it down to the height you want, then tape the ends so Daisy isn't cutting herself on the sharp ends. Maybe that would work?
You brainstormer
Old August 11th, 2009, 09:38 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
You brainstormer
Now I gotta go to work and I have no brain left. I just used it all.
Glad I could help mf.
Old August 11th, 2009, 09:44 AM
-

Quote:
Now I gotta go to work and I have no brain left. I just used it all.
Glad I could help mf.
Save the brain for the important things in life that's what I like
Old August 14th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Skylar's Farm

How is it going with the bunny?
Some rodents are afraid of foil pans and will chew them up leaving sharp corners; so another thing that I've tried
is a glass baking dish....13 x 9....and about 3 inches deep.
Or a heavy duty type of Tupperware/Rubbermaid container which is lower than the litter box.
Old August 17th, 2009, 10:05 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bina View Post
How is it going with the bunny?
Some rodents are afraid of foil pans and will chew them up leaving sharp corners; so another thing that I've tried
is a glass baking dish....13 x 9....and about 3 inches deep.
Or a heavy duty type of Tupperware/Rubbermaid container which is lower than the litter box.
She is still going out of the litter box Bina....thanks for asking....the tin foil didn't seem to make a difference.....the idea of a glass baking dish is worth a try but it will have to be quite low...no more than 2 inches, if that. I will go to Crappy Tire today and see what they have.
Old August 17th, 2009, 05:08 PM
150% PRO S/N

Awww Chris, I'm sorry the tinfoil idea didn't work. Could it be that Daisy is just finding it painful to move around much at all because of the problem she has? Sorry, I can't remember what it's called. I should but I am having a major brain blip.