Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a cat - listings

Old January 4th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Uh oh

So this black cat I have been feeding for awhile came to my back door at 2 am; it was bitterly cold, I think he was a bit desperate. I've set up a few shelters for strays but what's a couple of degrees when it's -30? He fled down the back stairs, me - dressed for bed - in hot pursuit. Luckily, he went under the porch. I didn't fancy a foot/paw race down the alley, the neighbours might have called it in .

After pleading in both official languages and with the help of a little catnip, I managed to seize him. Bill was turfed from the bathroom and then the apartment had to be sectioned to avoid conflict. Not much sleep was had. The stranger seems to have spent the night behind the toilet rather than in the warm bed, probably because the others were shoving their paws under the door, wretches. I gave him a big dose of RR and set down some food.

This morning he has been transferred to a large-ish crate in the kitchen, covered with blankets. Ate a little. Very hissy but will probably be fine. One almost healed wound in his ear but no other apparent damage.

Is there anyone who can give me a hand with this guy, who knows of a shelter in the Montreal area that isn't stuffed to the rafters? He can't stay here, it's already a madhouse. I've looked for posters in the neighbourhood and searched all the internet boards that I know, but no-one has reported him missing. Surprise surprise

I think he will settle right down once he's in the right environment. Wheezy is currently installed in front of the cage, giving him his special 100-yard stare, as in 'get 100 yards away from me or I'll rip your face off', which doesn't help.
Old January 4th, 2008, 12:27 PM
-

oh crap ! Another one ? :sad:
Old January 4th, 2008, 02:38 PM
-

and
Old January 4th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Crap,is the right word,it seems like a never ending story of stray cats,boy,am I glad I don't live there.
It's really,really sad,I hope you find a solution for him
Old January 5th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Must have been desperate to want in so bad. I hope you can find somewhere to place him.
I've got a new stray around here again too. My third one this winter. I'm going through cat food like you wouldn't believe. Can't get close enough to this one yet to see if he's neutered. I know where my big Max got his ear wounds from now. They don't fight anymore, the new guy has discovered there's more than one cat house, so he's at least using one of them to keep warm now. So that's all 3 outdoor houses in use right now.....lots of room to put more, but I wish that people would look after their pets.
Old January 6th, 2008, 12:29 AM

They definately know whose looking out for them there

Badger I have my & sending lots of for you & your group of rescues. How many is that now in your apt? Wish I could help but it's not possible :sad:

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old January 6th, 2008, 03:46 AM
Senior Contributor

He turns out to be one sweet boy but I'm still way over the top on numbers, so much daily juggling to keep everyone happy and safe. When I think back to how even four or five seemed - and there are now 12. Enough for a website?
Old January 6th, 2008, 03:49 AM

Will any of the spca or rescue groups in your area let you put up courtesy adoption listings on their websites?

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old January 6th, 2008, 04:11 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
Will any of the spca or rescue groups in your area let you put up courtesy adoption listings on their websites?
That's a good option......I know there is a shelter in the next town over from us that allows it.

Other than that, Badger, if you know how to set up your own website and have the time for it, I would say go for it.
Old January 6th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG Badger,you have 12 cats,but I bet it could easily become 50 with all the stray cats around:sad:
I don't really understand why that is,are there sooo many irresponsible jerks living there
We have about 5 cats that visit our backyard,but I know where everyone lives..
Maybe you could become an official rescue/charity and get tax-breaks,deduct your rent as a shelterexpence
It must be really frustrating and heartbreaking,not to mention expensive,but I am glad there is people like you out there,with a bigger heart than space in your apt.
Old January 6th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm no pro, but you can set up a webpage for free at http://geocities.yahoo.com/, I did it when I was getting married. I sent the URL out with my invitations so that the guests could get more info if they wanted. It was really easy to do, they have templates, then you can add your own pictures and text. Also, there are other free webpage services out there too.

I hope that Black kitty finds a nice warm home soon, and your other kitties too.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old January 6th, 2008, 10:16 AM
-

Badger , did you check your e-mails ? Poodletalk may be able to help a bit.
Old January 6th, 2008, 10:47 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
He turns out to be one sweet boy but I'm still way over the top on numbers, so much daily juggling to keep everyone happy and safe. When I think back to how even four or five seemed - and there are now 12. Enough for a website?
Mmmmmm, we have lots in common except mine are in their own catuary. You are such an for helping all of these little one. I they will find the homes they need soon.
Old January 6th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
So this black cat I have been feeding for awhile came to my back door at 2 am; it was bitterly cold, I think he was a bit desperate. I've set up a few shelters for strays but what's a couple of degrees when it's -30? He fled down the back stairs, me - dressed for bed - in hot pursuit. Luckily, he went under the porch. I didn't fancy a foot/paw race down the alley, the neighbours might have called it in .

After pleading in both official languages and with the help of a little catnip, I managed to seize him. Bill was turfed from the bathroom and then the apartment had to be sectioned to avoid conflict. Not much sleep was had. The stranger seems to have spent the night behind the toilet rather than in the warm bed, probably because the others were shoving their paws under the door, wretches. I gave him a big dose of RR and set down some food.

This morning he has been transferred to a large-ish crate in the kitchen, covered with blankets. Ate a little. Very hissy but will probably be fine. One almost healed wound in his ear but no other apparent damage.

Is there anyone who can give me a hand with this guy, who knows of a shelter in the Montreal area that isn't stuffed to the rafters? He can't stay here, it's already a madhouse. I've looked for posters in the neighbourhood and searched all the internet boards that I know, but no-one has reported him missing. Surprise surprise

I think he will settle right down once he's in the right environment. Wheezy is currently installed in front of the cage, giving him his special 100-yard stare, as in 'get 100 yards away from me or I'll rip your face off', which doesn't help.
Try the Husdson Veterinary Hospital (450) 458-5382. I was there about 10 days ago and all they had was one cat left, and people lining up for cats! They are really good there too, sooo humane and caring, we go there with our animals even if there are loads of others much closer!
Old January 6th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Sarah, I really like the people there, they've taken a couple of cats from me before, thanks for the tip. I'm about an hour away by car but could probably get a ride next weekend. Do you think they'd post an ad in the clinic if I faxed it to them?

Ah yes, I have been coveting your cattery, 14+, since you posted pictures. In this neighbourhood, it would fill up fast, and half the animals would have 'homes'.

Thanks for the website info, Stacer, I'll definitely look into it. Someone also suggested Homestead but I notice the reviews are mixed. One thing's for sure, new strategies are needed!

Last edited by badger; January 6th, 2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old January 6th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Badger,that would be great if someone could help you out,Poodletalk is a true
I'll keep myhoping you get some help.