Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old December 5th, 2005, 06:15 PM

How cold is to cold

I was just curious if anyone has an opinion on how cold is to cold to walk the dog. It has been about -19 degrees celsius all weekend where I live. Roxy can only go out for about 10 minutes at a time, and then she starts hopping on 3 or 2 legs. I assume her feet are getting to cold.

I am looking for a solution. Do the boots provide warmth, or are they mainly to protect from salt and what not.

I had to carry Roxy home in my jacket from 4 walks this weekend. I can exercise her inside, but really rely on the walks to get some of the spunk out of her.
Salem - DSH

Our pets are our teachers, healers, heroes, and friends.
Old December 5th, 2005, 06:26 PM

lifting their paws is a sign it's too cold. they'll do this also with street salt.
Old December 5th, 2005, 06:30 PM

When it is that cold you should also be concerned with breathing too cold air, forming ice crystals in the lungs during exercise. For Humans and Dogs.
Old December 5th, 2005, 06:49 PM

Well I guess we will have to limit outside time to quik bathroom breaks until it warms up. Thanks for the tips.

db7 - I have always had a hard time breathing in the cold. Now I know why.
Salem - DSH

Old December 5th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Honest Contributor

Muttluks protect the feet from both the salt AND the cold. they are fantastic and worth every penny. http://www.muttluks.com/our_products/index.php

check out the fleece-lined booties.

good luck!

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old December 5th, 2005, 07:06 PM

They look pretty good. Fairly reasonably priced. I think I will have to buy some for Christmas. Staying inside all winter is not a good option for us.
Salem - DSH

Old December 5th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Honest Contributor

yeah the winter doesn't look like it will be too kind this year

perhaps google the muttluks to find better pricing? i have heard very good reviews on the winter booties from people who bought them... they will last a long time too if only used for daily walks in the bitter cold... who wants to freeze a lung anyways? LOL

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old December 6th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Depends on the dog. My last dog was big and had a coat like a grizzly bear and I could walk him no matter how cold it got.

With Chloe, I can take her for reasonbly lengthy walks (30minutes) even in minus 10 degrees or a little colder, but she has a coat and boots. Yes, the Muttluks keep her feet warm even in this weather and she is very comfortable.

In minus 20, I would have to get her one of those snowsuits that have legs in them and that cover her little hairless belly.

In minus 30 - 40, no one goes out.
Old December 6th, 2005, 10:29 PM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

Well I've ordered a pair for both Simon and Peaches - y'all made a believer out of me!
Old December 7th, 2005, 12:22 AM

Boo swam in ice water on his own and didn't even shiver afterward... So ya, it depends on the doggy.

The smaller the dog, the greater the surface area of the skin is to the volume of the dog, so the faster heat is lost. Smaller dogs usually have a higher heart rate and faster metabolism because of this. They would also have less tissue in the feet and legs to keep them warm...

I'd say if your doggy hesitates at all, shivers even just a little bit or lifts a paw, it's time to get somewhere warmer.
Old December 7th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Agility Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Rescue
With Chloe, I can take her for reasonbly lengthy walks (30minutes) even in minus 10 degrees or a little colder, but she has a coat and boots. Yes, the Muttluks keep her feet warm even in this weather and she is very comfortable.

In minus 20, I would have to get her one of those snowsuits that have legs in them and that cover her little hairless belly.

In minus 30 - 40, no one goes out.
Dodger loves the cold weather and I have no idea why because he doesn't have any sort of coat...whenever he's off-leash though it's just constant running...so he's never cold.

Last winter he was only about 6-10 months old and we were out in -30 and -40 weather...I don't want to do him any harm but he insists on being outside for 2-3 hours at a time ...Should I refuse to take him out in that kind of weather this year?
Old December 7th, 2005, 09:15 AM
-

www.chillydogs.ca has a great coat for dogs. It covers the chest which is what you want in a winter coat to protect their organs. There is a link from her site for the muttluks.
A couple of options for exercise during the winter is enrolling into training, sending her to daycare a few days a week and taking her to the local stores that accept pets and walk her indoors. Supplement with some outdoor walking.