Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old April 18th, 2010, 11:00 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

If you have extra nectar, just throw it in the fridge--it keeps for a week or more if you keep it cold. I have a bunch of 8 c. carafes that I'll be filling nonstop come the middle of July.

The mops are sold here wherever nectar feeders are sold. They've got a long wire handle on them with a foam mop on one end. You use them like a bottle brush. Remind me tomorrow and I'll post a picture.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 18th, 2010, 11:07 PM
You can call me DOG!

I'll stick it to you Hazel and remind you tomorrow!

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old April 19th, 2010, 08:23 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
If you have extra nectar, just throw it in the fridge--
Throw it in the fridge ....doesn't that make everything sticky
Old April 19th, 2010, 10:19 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
Throw it in the fridge ....doesn't that make everything sticky
Sm@rt@$$!!!

Okay, then....pour it into a glass carafe or jar and place it on a shelf in the fridge. Better?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 19th, 2010, 08:20 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
The mops are sold here wherever nectar feeders are sold. They've got a long wire handle on them with a foam mop on one end. You use them like a bottle brush. Remind me tomorrow and I'll post a picture.
Uh-hum...arms are crossed and toes a tapping here.

Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Old April 19th, 2010, 08:33 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oh, crap.

I forgot to bring the new one in from the shed, so you'll have to settle for a pic of one on it's last legs. I'll go tend to that now.

Old April 19th, 2010, 08:45 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Here ya go:

Name:  mop.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  29.9 KB

Keep in mind this one is about to croak. The brown on the foam is rust from the action of the vinegar I use to clean the feeders on the metal handle. They won't look that bad in the store.

Old April 19th, 2010, 09:02 PM
You can call me DOG!

Thank you Hazel!

So the spongy end fits through the little neck of the bottle to clean the inside of the carafe then right? I don't think I've seen anything like that around my area. I have long handled thin brushes but their more like bristles then the foam. The bristles don't get close to the fat edge of the carafe.

Old April 19th, 2010, 09:08 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

The foam makes it easier to get around the neck of the bottle where it fits into the cap with the feeder ports. Sigh...that's so hard to explain. I should have taken a pic of the feeder, too.

Oh, wait...I'll bet I have one from last year with a feeder in it! brb

Old April 19th, 2010, 09:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Crap....no pictures of the glass part without the ports attached.

Name:  Hummers at the feeders 5-25-09 AE1.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  96.0 KB

But see where the glass meets the plastic? The bottle actually narrows down there to screw into a tube inside the red part. That leaves quite an angle in the glass right behind the narrow part to clean--and that's where the mop comes in

If you want, and you remind me (), I'll try to bring another feeder out of storage tomorrow and take a pic with the ports off. I should bring in some additional feeders for cleaning, anyway.

Old April 19th, 2010, 09:24 PM
You can call me DOG!

The opening is smaller than a pop bottle. I have 3 of them where the little neck sits inside the ports. I thinks me gets it but I just gotta find one of them spongy cleaners.

Didn't have time to do the nectar tonight but will be sure to mix up a batch tomorrow and a hanger out there.

How long does the extra nectar keep in the fridge after making?

Old April 19th, 2010, 09:27 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Yep, smaller than a pop bottle

Nectar keeps in the fridge for 10 - 14 days, if I recall (we usually can't keep it around for more than 24 hours ). Same rule applies--if it starts to look opaque or cloudy, pour it down the sink and make fresh.

Last edited by hazelrunpack; November 1st, 2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old April 19th, 2010, 09:33 PM
You can call me DOG!

Kewl. I bought an air tight container last year specifically for nectar. I sure hope that I can persuade them to come a callin' this year.

Old April 19th, 2010, 09:34 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'll bet you can! With all the gardens at your house, you must be attracting them!

Old April 19th, 2010, 10:18 PM
You can call me DOG!

I just looked at my hand scribbled nectar recipe on the fridge and want to make sure I wrote this down correctly;

1 cup water
1/3 cup sugar
Boil for about 5 minutes
Adjust the quantities in equal parts for bigger batches.

Does this sound right?

Old April 19th, 2010, 10:24 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

That would be good for a first batch. It's stronger than needed, though. Once you've gotten them to come to your feeders, you can use 4 parts water to 1 part sugar--so 1/4 c sugar to a cup of water

I usually make the first batch sweeter in a 3:1 ratio--coming off of migration they can use the extra calories

Old April 20th, 2010, 08:55 AM
-

Hummingbirds
Old April 20th, 2010, 01:26 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Wait a few more weeks and madame hazel will be posting so many hummer pics you'll get sick of them.

Old April 20th, 2010, 10:12 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
That would be good for a first batch. It's stronger than needed, though. Once you've gotten them to come to your feeders, you can use 4 parts water to 1 part sugar--so 1/4 c sugar to a cup of water

I usually make the first batch sweeter in a 3:1 ratio--coming off of migration they can use the extra calories
Got a batch mixed up tonight and hung one of my 4 feeders out. WHOOT! WHOOT!

I just added your above instructions to my fridge post for more batches so now it's time to play the waiting game.

Old April 20th, 2010, 10:15 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I still haven't seen any madame hazel is gettin' a tad impatient, even though she usually doesn't see any for at least another week into the year.

Old April 21st, 2010, 08:26 AM
-

Quote:
Wait a few more weeks and madame hazel will be posting so many hummer pics you'll get sick of them.
NEVER

If the Bluebirds don't step on the gas a little, the new house is going to be occupied by the Tree Swallows.........although I'm hoping that they are not too impressed with the perchy thingy.

I have one lonely male Cardinal, comes to the feeders all of the time on his lonesome.........so if anyone has a female who's looking a tad lonely, send her my way
Old April 21st, 2010, 09:01 AM
Senior Contributor

ok I have this bird that shows up this time every year, stays about 3 weeks (hopefully will get a pic later today), I have no idea what he/she is, there is always only one,
size of a redcap woodpecker
long dark pointed beak
medium brown, red cap, black bib/chest, and his rump is white
he doesn't eat from the tree's but rather hops around the yard pecking deep holes into the ground....not much of a description but everytime I try to get a pic he flies away.
any idea's??
Old April 21st, 2010, 09:19 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Check this out: flicker

Are you seeing something like that? There are two 'flavors', the red-shafted and the yellow-shafted. The markings are the same, but the color pattern of the red and black patches differs.

Old April 23rd, 2010, 09:41 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

More April birds...

I have tons of pics to post but my connection is not particularly robust. I knew the DSL speed was too good to be true

Anyway, supposedly it's just my download speed that is suffering--my upload speed still tests out to be near normal. So I'll give this a shot.

My helpers for these pics are Ember and Macie, eager to start, as you can see

Name:  Ember and Macie 4-23-10.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  66.7 KB

We found that many of our old friends, like the black-capped chickadees, are still around.

Name:  Black-capped chickadee 4-18-10 A.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  51.5 KB

Like all the full-timers, the chickadees are turning their thoughts to romance. This little guy is singing a romantic tune. hazel just knows it's a romantic song, cuz why else would he be singing with his eyes closed?

Name:  Black-capped chickadee singing with his eyes closed 4-16-10.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  58.3 KB

Old April 23rd, 2010, 09:44 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

The blue jays are still around--getting noisier every day.

Name:  Blue jay 4-12-10 A.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  69.9 KB

The mourning doves are pairing up, just hangin' out together and occasionally practicing their synchronized grooming.

Name:  Mourning doves 4-18-10 A.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  46.7 KB

Name:  Mourning doves 4-18-10 B.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  55.9 KB

Old April 23rd, 2010, 09:45 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

The male goldfinches are finally puttin' on their courtin' coats and making conquests of the heart.

Name:  American goldfinch 4-23-10 A.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  36.6 KB

Name:  American goldfinch 4-23-10 B.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  50.8 KB

Name:  American goldfinches at the feeder 4-19-10.jpg
Size:  55.0 KB

Old April 23rd, 2010, 09:48 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

The Downy Woodpeckers are still hamming it up for the camera...

Name:  Downy woodpecker female 4-19-10 A.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  39.4 KB

Name:  Downy woodpecker female 4-19-10 C.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  47.9 KB

Name:  Downy woodpecker male 4-19-10 A.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  52.3 KB

Old April 23rd, 2010, 09:52 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

They're just as tame as they were in the winter, even though they're nesting now. Every morning they fly in to gorge on the suet.

Name:  Downy woodpecker with suet 4-18-10 A.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  42.7 KB

Name:  Downy woodpecker with suet 4-18-10 B.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  46.3 KB

hazel considers any pic that shows the brown of the iris to be a close-up. These qualify.

This doesn't:

Name:  Compton's tortoiseshell 4-20-10.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  39.8 KB

Can't see the brown of its eyes.

Old April 23rd, 2010, 09:54 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

The white-breasted nuthatches are suddenly scarce--hazel strongly suspects they're busy nesting. They're making a lot of noise calling back and forth, but they're not showing themselves very often. Wish them luck

The red-breasted nuthatches, on the other hand, visit every day.

Name:  Red-breasted nuthatch 4-18-10.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  61.2 KB

Name:  Red-breasted nuthatch 4-22-10.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  49.5 KB

Did you notice the tongue on that shot? Look again:

Name:  Red-breasted nuthatch close-up 4-22-10.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  40.2 KB

It's the whitish thing just to the right of the yellow gob of suet.

Last edited by hazelrunpack; November 1st, 2011 at 08:39 PM.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 09:58 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

The Hairy Woodpeckers are still more shy than the Downy Woodpeckers...

Name:  Hairy woodpecker fem 4-18-10 B.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  39.3 KB

...but will brave even madame hazel and her camera (as long as she is quite still) to get some suet:

Name:  Hairy woodpecker fem 4-18-10 A.jpg
Size:  34.3 KB

The Purple Finches are still hanging out in small flocks up in the tops of the trees.

Name:  Purple finches 4-12-10.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  77.8 KB