Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old June 16th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Senior Contributor

A few more blooms today!

The rest of my garden is starting to bloom now! Yay! Still have several with buds, but got these so far coming in now after the early honeysuckles, peonies, and Irises!
Attached Images

Old June 16th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Senior Contributor

And my butterfly garden starting to peek open now! I'll get better pictures in another week or so when they're in full bloom, but was so excited to see the first ones budding open.
Attached Images

Old June 16th, 2007, 08:31 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Wow, Smiley! Your garden is way ahead of mine! I have beautiful buds on magnificent stems so far this year, but no blooms. I think I'm at least a week away from either lilies or coneflowers!

Beautiful flowers! What are the yellow ones by the coneflower?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 16th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I think the yellow ones are coreopsis (sp). Very pretty flowers. Purple coneflowers are so reliable and pretty. I don't have any anymore, but they sure didn't bloom this early when I did have them. You must have a real knack with them.

Cindy
Old June 16th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Senior Contributor

I can't remember what they're called! I planted some in front and in back of the house about two years ago and they are doing really well! They bloom fairly early and keep their flowers all summer. They're really soft and kind of feathery too. Great for spots of bright color! I ran outside quick to see if I kept the name tag on them, but didn't see one. It's pitch black outside at the moment though, so I'll look better in daylight. Tried to get a couple better pictures for you at least! These are also at night, so sorry for the poor quality.
Attached Images

Old June 16th, 2007, 10:42 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

You think Coreopsis? Maybe? Whatever they are, I'm going to have to get some. I really like the looks of them and I'm looking for a taller yellow flower for the garden

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 16th, 2007, 10:45 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

All I have so far are the white peonies (now almost gone due to sudden commando raids run by wayward setters) and the spiderwort, which are in full swing. Everything else is pretty much just in the bud so far.

Old June 16th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Just googled it and yep, Clm is right!

http://gardening.about.com/od/plantp.../Coreopsis.htm

Mine is the one pictured, C. verticillata Zagreb. Cool!!!
Old June 16th, 2007, 10:52 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'm definitely going to have to get one. I can't open the link, though. How tall do they get?

My coneflowers, spiderwort and lilies are already huge this year. I don't remember them being that tall last year!

Old June 16th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Senior Contributor

My peonies and Iris blooms are already dead already. The tiger lily is my first lily to bloom so far. I have some Red Twinkle Tiger lilies I'm still waiting to bloom though. The orange ones just opened today, so hopefully the reds will come very soon! Those are one of my favorites of the lilies! Sooo pretty, and I only have two of them! The Coreopsis started blooming about a week ago and the coneflowers are just beginning to pop open. Most are still buds, but a few wayward ones dared to open a little early. It's been extra hot this week, so I think they're coming a bit early this year. The lavendar hasn't flowered quite yet either. I have some other ones mixed in the butterfly garden too, but I can't remember their names either. I'll post them when they bloom too.
Old June 16th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Here Hazel, I copied this off the page for you:

The Coreopsis ‘Zagreb’, Coreopsis verticillata, is a prolific bloomer of bright yellow flowers that bloom from June through October. Winner of the 2001 RHS Award of Garden Merit, Coreopsis ‘Zagreb’ is a little shorter than the rest of the Coreopsis family. With a plant height of 15” and a spread of 12-18”, its delicate dark green foliage has an airy and delicate appearance. ‘Zagreb’ should be planted in full sun. It is drought-tolerant and tough but does need well-drained soil.
Old June 16th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I'm definitely going to have to get one. I can't open the link, though. How tall do they get?

My coneflowers, spiderwort and lilies are already huge this year. I don't remember them being that tall last year!
I think they're loving the early heat!
Old June 16th, 2007, 11:01 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley14 View Post
Here Hazel, I copied this off the page for you:

The Coreopsis ‘Zagreb’, Coreopsis verticillata, is a prolific bloomer of bright yellow flowers that bloom from June through October. Winner of the 2001 RHS Award of Garden Merit, Coreopsis ‘Zagreb’ is a little shorter than the rest of the Coreopsis family. With a plant height of 15” and a spread of 12-18”, its delicate dark green foliage has an airy and delicate appearance. ‘Zagreb’ should be planted in full sun. It is drought-tolerant and tough but does need well-drained soil.
Wow! That's almost like it was developed just for my garden! That's perfect! I'm going to have to look at the nursery next time I go! Thanks!

Old June 16th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Awesome! I can attest for the drought resistance. They're one of the few plants that only need to be watered once a week.
Old June 16th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I'm not sure of the botanical name, but there's a coreopsis variety with the same airy foliage that's called "moonbeam". It actually stands out quite bright at dusk, hence the name. It's a yellow, but it kind of glows at dusk. There's another with the same type of foliage but the flowers are pink. Can't remember the name. I'm sure I still have some up in the rock garden, but it's in the part's that haven't been weeded yet, so I can't see them

Cindy
Old June 16th, 2007, 11:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
I'm not sure of the botanical name, but there's a coreopsis variety with the same airy foliage that's called "moonbeam". It actually stands out quite bright at dusk, hence the name. It's a yellow, but it kind of glows at dusk. There's another with the same type of foliage but the flowers are pink. Can't remember the name. I'm sure I still have some up in the rock garden, but it's in the part's that haven't been weeded yet, so I can't see them

Cindy
I saw those too when I googled for coreopsis. Moonbeams had different blooms than this one did, but were REALLY pretty! The pink ones were new to me! I'll have to see if I can find any at the garden center! Cool!!! I have a few bare places where some Indian Grass I planted last summer didn't come back. (Unless it's a late bloomer??), so need to fill in with some new plantings. The pink ones would be perfect there!