Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old January 10th, 2007, 10:54 AM

Dog with allergy needs food

HI. Right now I am feeding my dog Eukanuba, but she doesn't seem to be loving it, so I added some wet food to it. And I really don't think I am liking it at all. She isn't excited to eat it and I only feed her like twice a day. Almost like she is disgusted with what I am feeding her (uhoh bad mommy)..
Now she has allergies (airborned not food as of yet...still testing) and is on medication for them, so I was wondering if anyone else has any suggestions for a food that is good for dogs with allergies and that my doggie will love? OR even if not that just a really good dog food with less fillers/byproducts something more naturally healthy and what not.
At my groomer they have this wolfcub food that they promote by giving out samples. has anyone heard of this and can give me an opinion?
Old January 10th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Yeah, Euk really isnt all that great a food. If you are confident that she doesnt have food allergies, I would try Canidae. If it is food related, I would try Canidae lamb meal & rice. Its not a true allergy formula, but doesnt have chicken which seems to be one of the most commen meat allergy complaints. Or for a true allergy formula, DVP has a few.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old January 10th, 2007, 06:15 PM

How old is your dog and what breed is it? Wolf Cub is a puppy food. Wolf cub is one of the better puppy foods though. It is a bit grainy though.

DVP Natural balance has ok allergy formulas:
http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/allergy/home.html

But it really depends what you're looking for. I need more details.
Old January 11th, 2007, 04:05 PM

Often times dogs with airborne allergies have food allergies too, and testing may or may not be an option. When testing for food allergies they are often not accurate, and should only be used as a "guideline" If you are looking for a food that helps with "airborne" allergies something higher in Omega 3, as it acts as an anti-inflammatory.
If you are looking for an antigen diet ("hypoallergenic" is sometimes used as a term) something with an obscure protein source (venison, duck, etc) is the way to go. Food reactions are based on exposure to a protein source (plant based or meat based), so feeding a protein source that the dog has not been exposed to is best.