Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 13th, 2009, 06:55 PM

Odd dog question..

I have two chihuahua's. I have reciently found out i am pregnant. Even before i found out i was pregnant my dogs were acting extra posessive me. They would constantly need to lay on me, and would would growl at eachother if the other one would try to take the other spot. Now they were cuddly before, but they always cuddled at me feet or behind my knees. but now they are constantly sniffing at me and laying on me... and they follow me around everywhere. Is this normal behavour for dogs? or am i just loosing it.. and if they are acting this posessive of me now, does this mean they will be posessive of the new baby? I don't know if this is the right place to ask this... so sorry in advance.
Old April 13th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Senior Contributor

First, congrats on your baby! And don't apologize! Pets.ca is a great forum, with lots of people and varying experience - you've come to a great place for help.

It's very normal for chihuahua's to be possessive. A lot of dogs ARE possessive and protective of their family members, but the chihuahua breed as I'm sure you know, is known for how attached they become to their owner.
New baby's always upset the home hiearchy, but it does not have to be a stressful experience for you or your dogs. I really suggest consulting a trainer in your area to come to your home and give you some handy tips and advice, to meet your dogs, assess them, and show you some great ways to introduce your baby safely to them when they come home.

When my daughter was born, we made sure that her blanket came into the house before she did so my parents dogs could be 'introduced' to her that way. By the next day, they were used to her scent and her presence wasn't such a shock to them.
Many dogs handle new babys just fine - but the odd one can be stressed by the crying and the sudden loss of attention. It's important to show your dogs one-on-one attention after your baby is born, but speaking from experience, the first few weeks will most likely be a little bit crazy for you - and obviously your attention will be focused on your baby.
If there's another family member around that can play with your dogs, take them for walks, etc. that will help matters; but if you personally can ensure that you set aside time each day to give them lots of TLC, that will help.

One tip I can give you is to start sitting down with a baby doll throughout your day. If your dogs come over and start climbing on you while you're doing this, make sure that they know that when you are holding something they cannot do so. Once they're sitting calmly at your feet or beside you as you hold the baby, make a big show of putting the doll aside, and at that time - give your dogs attention and praise.

And again, the best advice I can give is to find a reputable trainer in your area who can come to your house before and after the baby is born to help you work through this.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old April 13th, 2009, 07:21 PM

I got my female chi when my son was 4 months old, and so she has been brought up with babies, and is really good with them. I got my male this january and he is good with the kids too. They are posessive dogs, but they have gone beyond their normal posessiveness so to speak. This started when i was around 4 weeks pregnant and i didn't find out i was prego till i was 10 weeks... It is almost like they knew before i did. they dont nip or growl at my husband when he tries to cuddle up to me, but they will growl at eachoter and like try to "fight" to claim their spot ON me. Like i said they use to just cuddle at my feet, or i was laying down behind my knees... If i don't let them lay on me they will whine. And my girl is constantly trying to lick my stomach. She woudl lick till her tounge fell off if i let her. I live in a very small town and the ckc has a behavour training course only once or twice a year. My dogs have been through it and are trained. I am not to worried, but my husband is really worried. He sais the dogs know i am having a pregnant, and has heard horror stories of dogs bitting babies and being very posessive of their owners, even though my dogs have been around babies and are use to them crying and such.
Old April 13th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Senior Contributor

In that case, I don't really see any future problems, but I cannot garauntee as I have not met your dogs personally. If they're used to children, and you're obviously experienced in having a baby and a puppy at the same time, I don't really forsee you having any issues. Sometimes it's just a matter of playing it by ear, seeing how the dogs react when the baby is actually there, and going from there.

I'm not sure if dogs 'know' that we are pregnant, but I'm sure they could sense a change in our body. I have heard stories of cats becoming extremley attached to their pregnant owners, and wouldn't be suprised if they can hear the heartbeat (or just like the warmth from the bellies ). But who knows! Maybe dogs know too!

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old April 13th, 2009, 07:40 PM

I have no experience with dogs and babies, but perhaps the dogs have noticed a change in your behaviors and are reacting accordingly? I'm really not sure, but good luck with the baby.
Old April 13th, 2009, 07:42 PM

it is funny that you menton cats to. My cat has started cuddlign up to me too. and she hardly ever comes out of hidding. My dogs don't lack attention. they get their play time and thier walks. Maybe they can sense a change in my body.. i dont know if they can sense a change if hormones or not.. i am no doctor or anything but from what i do know they have really changed their behavour. It will be intresting to see how they react to the baby when they can feel it move. Hmm it would be intresting to find a study on dogs and pregnancy... I have found one when the dogs can detect cancer in their owners and other people. OH well... this is just new to me.
Old April 13th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Neato! Let us know what your dogs do when the baby starts to move. That is so exciting, I miss those special moments.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old April 13th, 2009, 11:50 PM

I will try to keep you updated on how my dogs reacts!!!
Old April 14th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Maneater - if your dogs are possessive with you, please start training them right now about giving you your space. This is only acceptable because they are small....but what if they were large breed dogs? Would you accept this behaviour or would you want this to be corrected?

I also have a small dog and she has gotten away with far more than I would have let my Rott get away with. I realized that she was a total embarrassement and it was my doing. I am in the process of correcting this.

To be safe - start correcting now so that there will be no problems in the future. If not taken care of now, your dogs may be set up for failure.

If you need help on how to correct, please let us know and we ALL have interesting ideas I am certain.

Best to you and congrats.
Old April 14th, 2009, 01:48 PM

I think posessive is the wrong word. They do give me my space, and will go lay down if i tell them too. like i said they usually laid at my feet or beside me. They don't need just me. But for the last few weeks, they feel the need to lay on me, or as close to me as they can get. The will actually try to lay ontop of eachoter. I don't just sit their and let them do it, i tell them to get down and lay down.
Old April 14th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maneater View Post
I think posessive is the wrong word. They do give me my space, and will go lay down if i tell them too. like i said they usually laid at my feet or beside me. They don't need just me. But for the last few weeks, they feel the need to lay on me, or as close to me as they can get. The will actually try to lay ontop of eachoter. I don't just sit their and let them do it, i tell them to get down and lay down.
That is important information maneater. Thank you for the clarification and good luck to you.
Old April 17th, 2009, 11:28 AM

Well, i am no pet expert but i do love my fur babies. I have been having a weird situation with my cat. Since the day i brought her home she ran and hid and only comes out to eat or use her box. I assume she wanders at night time because sometime i find loose socks from the laundry hamper in weird places. Well this morning i was just laying in bed relaxing waiting for my son to get up and berlin (my kitty) jumped up on my bed and started rubbing her cheeks and head all over me and purring really loud... she has never done this before in the year that i have owned her. Then she laid on my legs.. purred..... Should i be concerned about the face rubbing? Is this my cat telling me that something is wrong with her? Or is this normal cat behavour.. like i said i am no expert... and i do love my animals but i have never experienced this before.
Old April 17th, 2009, 06:20 PM

Face rubbing is perfectly normal for a cat. They have scent glands on their forehead and cheeks, and rubbing against something leaves their scent on it. They are telling the world (or at least the cat world) that whatever they wre rubbing against belongs to them. They also do it to humans they like and feel comfortable being around (or possibly to humans they consider belong to them.) Plus, having those areas scratched seems to feel really good. Try rubbing them gently and watch your cat's reaction.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-