Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Books

Old August 31st, 2009, 12:31 PM
Senior Contributor

I just finished reading Olive Kitteredge for book club. It was well written, but a little melancholy.

The best book I've read in a long long time is The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I can't recommend this enough. Fantastic !
Old September 3rd, 2009, 08:11 AM
Senior Contributor

I just finished Greg Iles latest book, "the Devil's Punchbowl". I usually really like this author, enjoy the settings of rural Mississippi, but this one was quite disturbing as it exposed the cruel, sick world of dog fighting. I cannot really recommend this one. There are some real sickos out there!!:sad:

Yes, I believe in the Rainbow Bridge
Old September 3rd, 2009, 09:17 AM
Senior Contributor

I cant seem to get into angels and demons.. Cant find the time.. Argh :/

GMC, I might have to try and read that book about the dog fighting.. Just because ..
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old September 24th, 2009, 06:16 AM

I love books by Janet Evanovich. She has written several series of books one of which is referred to as the Stephanie Plum series. Stephanie is a fictional female bounty hunter from New Jersey and tells about all of her exploits catching people who have jumped bail. The books are hilarious. I don't know how many times I've busted out laughing while reading her books on the bus enroute to work. There is something funny to read on every page. Her sidekick is named Lula who is referred to as an oversized black woman who wears nothing but Spandex which is always several sizes too small. Both women mainly subsist on meals from Cluck in a Bucket or a dozen doughnuts. Lula describes herself as a former 'ho' who is trying to better her life by working in the bail bond office with Stephanie. Stephanie has several boyfriends (one sexier than the next) and a hamster named Rex. Her family are very funny people especially her grandmother who lives to go to viewings at the local funeral parlor. If it's a closed coffin affair, Grandma Mazur will literally pry the coffin open to get a quick look at the dearly departed. There are about 15 books or so in this series but you can start with any one of them. They are definitely worth reading if you like a good laugh.
Old September 28th, 2009, 04:33 PM

Books I've read

Hi! I am new to this site and stumbled onto this What are you reading? I really like to read when I have time. I like Beverly Lewis series(about the amish), I just finished her latest 2 series books, the secret and Missing. Both were good. Now have to wait til the next one to the series comes out. Bummer! I read all the Twilight series, and LOVED IT, I like murder mystery, Vampires are my fav, and old timie stuff.
Old October 7th, 2009, 01:22 PM

I am reading Stephen Baxter's Timelike Infinity which I left at home today!! Before that I was reading Asimov's Foundation Series

Last edited by marko; March 22nd, 2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old March 22nd, 2010, 03:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Havent updated this thread in a while and it would be impossible for me to name all the books I have read lately.

Im now reading "The Taking" by dean koontz.. It seems good.

And I just finished reading "The guardian" by nicholas sparks.. BEST BOOK EVER! Made me cry alot at the end though.. has a great dane in the story!
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old March 22nd, 2010, 05:59 PM

I am reading 'The History of Love' great book... not a sappy book like i originally suspected from the title...

i also highly recommend 'middlesex', such a captivating book...

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old March 22nd, 2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masha View Post

i also highly recommend 'middlesex', such a captivating book...
I second that -- very good book!
Old March 25th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Ughh.. I just can't seem to get into "The taking" for some reason

Yet I cant just give up on trying to read it. I think I have some form of OCD ..
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old March 25th, 2010, 07:59 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I just read a Combined Municipal Emergency Operations Plan...twice. Talk about OCD! And it was just as exciting the second time!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 26th, 2010, 06:16 PM
~Cat Servent~

Hazel!

I'm reading all the Clive Cussler Dirk Pitt adventures I can get my hands on right now love them! Also read the entire Bones series (the one the tv show is based on) within a month or two last year...also great reads!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old May 6th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Catlover2

I'm reading Animal Speak---The Spiritual & Magical Powers of Creatures Great & Small by Ted Andrews. A good reference book to open mind and heart to the wisdom of the animal world. It's interesting to discover my "animal totem". Book includes a dictionary of the meanings of mainly North American animals, birds, reptiles, insects. Book helps to identify, meet, and attune to your spirit animals, and provides techniques for recognizing and interpreting the signs and omens of the natural world. A fascinating book if you want to be in tune with the Natural World about you. It was a book recommended to read by the facilitator of an animal communication course I took recently.
Old May 6th, 2010, 03:58 PM

Ooooo love this thread.

Currently I'm reading "Half the Sky: Turning Opressing into Opportunity for Women Worldwide" It's more heavy than what I like but it's shocking and inspiring at the same time.

Previous I had just finished "Escape"

Next on my list is "Yes Your Teen is Crazy: Loving your Kid Without Losing Your Mind" Hope it helps

Mama to Izzy, rescued March 2009.
Old September 1st, 2010, 07:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil View Post
I just finished the most recent book from the Warriors Cat series. =D They are 'Childrens' books, but regardless, if you like cats, check them out.
I got my grandson the entire set. He is almost 13, supposedly older than the recomended age, but he loved them.

I am reading the new Faye Kellerman novel "Hangman". I think the entire Kellerman family are now novelists.....hubby started, then wifey, now both kids have books out. Published writing as a family business...

I have not read the kids, but the Kellermans do suspense/ mystery/ police novels with continued characters in each series.
Old September 1st, 2010, 09:35 AM
Doggie Wench

I just finished A Three Dog Life - a memoir - by Abigail Thomas (thank you Chris for lending this to me ). Not what I was expecting considering the title but, an even more marvelous read.

"In her brief but absorbing memoir, [Thomas] takes on the task of chronicling her grief and guilt...and the agony of learning a new way to love and live. In essays all the more powerful for their pared-down language, she describes how tragedy can bend but not break a relationship." - The Hartford Courant

I just picked up Otherwise by Farley Mowat. I can't get enough of his books since I read Never Cry Wolf.
Old September 6th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Life of Pi is a great book

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_of_Pi

The bourne identity books are good too

Last edited by NoahGrey; September 6th, 2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old September 6th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Compromised account

Just finished Servants of Twilight by Dean Koontz... pretty good!
Old September 6th, 2010, 07:03 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Sheesh!!! I am the only one who reads total fluff books? I like Dean Koontz. LOVE John Saul. Read a ton of historical romance, mystery, and murder stuff. Guess I'm just totally weird huh?

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 6th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Sheesh!!! I am the only one who reads total fluff books? I like Dean Koontz. LOVE John Saul. Read a ton of historical romance, mystery, and murder stuff. Guess I'm just totally weird huh?
Have you ever read anything by Diana Gabaldon?

Her series is wonderful if you like historical romance. My sister read them all, told me about them, I shared with my MIL who could not put them down lol. Wonderful reads

Book 1- Outlander
Book 2- Dragonfly in Amber
Book 3- Voyager
Book 4 –Drums of Autumn
Book 5 – The Fiery Cross
Book 6- A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Book 7 – An Echo in the Bone

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old September 6th, 2010, 10:36 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I don't know if I've ever heard of her. I will keep my eye out now for those. Thanks!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 7th, 2010, 09:37 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
I just finished A Three Dog Life - a memoir - by Abigail Thomas (thank you Chris for lending this to me ). Not what I was expecting considering the title but, an even more marvelous read.
I didn't lend it to you, I gave it to you.....I hope Lucky enjoyed it
Old September 7th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Oh no...you've gotta see my bookcases some day....All of Dean Koontz...including the first 2 books of the no so well received "Frankenstein" series.....less John Saul because most of his story lines involve kids...that is not to say I don't have several in the aforementioned bookcases, Tess Gerritsen, James Patterson, Patricia Cornwall....and not just a few of each other....mostly the whole series of each.....I AM THE QUEEN OF FLUFF!!!! I love to read to lose myself, not have to think about deep plots!!!
Old September 10th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Compromised account

OK, I just finished the most amazing book last night...It took me 2 days to go through it, but I am sure I will be re-reading, with more attention and getting a different perspective... You have to read The Host, by Stephenie Meyer.. What an awesome read!! Its been a while since a book sot to me so intensely, truly experience it, that I was crying, laughing, gasping... the works!
big , cant wait for the movie!!!!!
Old September 10th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Jennie, I think that book was recommended somewhere here earlier....it is a huge thick sucker isn't it???
I got it from the library and tried to start it, but for some reason just couldn't but I think I will try again. Thanks for reminding me about it!
Old September 10th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Compromised account

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincymycat View Post
Jennie, I think that book was recommended somewhere here earlier....it is a huge thick sucker isn't it???
I got it from the library and tried to start it, but for some reason just couldn't but I think I will try again. Thanks for reminding me about it!
Thats the one! yep...
Old September 12th, 2010, 02:24 PM

If you read the hard cover version of The Host by Stephanie Myers, you might want to check a soft cover version out of the library. THey added an extra chapter. won't say what's in it, I'll spoil it.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old September 14th, 2010, 12:45 AM

I am currently reading "Stolen Innocence" by Elissa Wall.

Next on my list: "Runaway Devil" which is an account of the Richardson family members that occured in Medicine Hat, AB in 2006. Medicine Hat is my hometown so this topic hits very close to home. Read the book once when it first was published, haven't been able to touch it since... but I think I have worked up the courage

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old September 16th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Compromised account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
If you read the hard cover version of The Host by Stephanie Myers, you might want to check a soft cover version out of the library. THey added an extra chapter. won't say what's in it, I'll spoil it.
thats the one i got... loved it!
Old September 16th, 2010, 06:53 PM

I loved Water for Elephants and Twilight.

I also used to love reading Pine Hollow (it was a series about the saddle club kids when they were grown up...so good lol)