Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 16th, 2004, 11:44 PM

kidney problem

hi, my name is aditya. i have a labrador(7 yrs old, female). last few days it has been behaving unusually. is slowely stopped eating food. before this happened we had given her the routine rabbies vaccine as per the schedule. we took her to the local vet. he suggested some antibiotics. but that did not solve the problem. we got her ultrasound done. that showed that her kidneys had enlarged. as well as her urea content from the test showed 292, createnin - 13.18. the local vets are not been able to do a proper diagnosis. some say that because she has not passed any urine for last 5-6 days, the urea has gone up. some say that infection is there in the kidney and that a one day dialysis may be required. also she has been vomitting everyday when we give her anything to eat. we tried a homoeopathic drug yesterday. my parents are both homoeopaths. after giving the medicine she hasen't vomited. also she was having problems in breathing(as though it was summer, she was contantly kepping her tounge out and braething loudly), but now that has reduced. i don't know whether it is an improvement. i would be greatful if anyone of you could suggest what should i do. all vets here are having diferent opinions. so i am in a fix. please help me. if anyone wants to mail me he can mail me on - aditya83@gmail.com or aditya.r@rediffmail.com
Old September 17th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Sammi

I would be concerned that she hasn't urinated for 5-6 days. Dogs, male aswell as female, can become "Blocked". I presume the ultrasound didn't show up any stones. Have any x-rays been considered?
What food is she on? There was a thread on here about Pedigree causing kidney failure. It sounds as if she may be overdue for atleast 24hrs of IV fluid therapy to flush the kidneys.

If she were mine, I'd have her hospitalized, on IV fluids, IV antibiotics, x-rayed and repeat crea, urea and ALT The norms for these in a dog are
Crea: 13.7-119.7 u/L
Urea: 8.8 - 25.9 mg/dL
Alt (liver): 8.2 - 57.3 u/L

Give her the benefit of atleast 24 hours on fluids, then re-evaluate.