Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old September 1st, 2004, 09:57 PM
Crusader

Are you Vegetarian,Vegan or Meat Eater?

I've been talking to a few members on the board and found out some of you guys are vegetarians?

While browsing the forums i came across this little line posted by Luba "oHhhhhhhh so I ate steak huh (well thats funny I usually never eat red meat so there HAHA)"

Personaly i've been a vegetarian for 21 years!!
how about you guys? Are you Vegetarian,Vegan or *Juicy Steak yum yum*

With all the problems with red meat these day's i wonder if more people are turning towards a healthy vegetarian diet?
Old September 1st, 2004, 10:22 PM

Ooohh! I hate it when IE crashes in the middle of posting a reply!

So, Knight, vegetarian for 21 years?? WOW! You started young!

Sorry to disappoint all the "enlightened" folks on this board. I am very much a meat eater, but for the past few years I've been having more chicken than beef. Although being of Italian heritage, my diet contains A LOT of pasta. Does that redeem me a bit?? I haven't met many vegetables that tickled my fancy, although my kids just LOVE 'em (wonder where that dormant gene has been hiding all these years?).

Curious - what's the difference between vegetarians and vegans?
Old September 1st, 2004, 10:43 PM
Crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writing4Fun
So, Knight, vegetarian for 21 years?? WOW! You started young!
Yeah i did LOL..but i did not decide or was told i should be i just stop eating meat and my mum had too always make an extra dish just for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writing4Fun
Curious - what's the difference between vegetarians and vegans?
Shame on you lol Just Kidding ..
Vegetarian = Consisting primarily or wholly of vegetables and vegetable products: a vegetarian diet.

Vegan = A vegetarian who eats plant products only, especially one who uses no products derived from animals.

-OR-
Vegan/Vegetarian: What’s the Difference? And what are all these different types of Vegetarianism?

Well, there can be differing opinions but for the most part, most veg*ns will use these descriptions:

Vegan - Someone who consumes no meat or other animal products (dairy and eggs as well as honey) as food and who doesn't use products that contain animal products (e.g. leather, fur, animal products in things like shampoo, etc.) and who does so because of ethical reasons (i.e. not wanting to impose their will on or to harm other sentient creatures).

Strict vegetarian - Someone who does not eat meat and who consumes no other animal products as food (including dairy and eggs) but still may use animal products such as leather, fur, animal products in shampoo, etc.).

Lacto-vegetarian - Someone who does not eat meat and eggs, but consumes dairy products and who may still use animal products such as leather, fur, etc.

Ovo-vegetarian - Someone who does not eat meat or dairy, but consumes eggs and who may still use animal products such as leather, fur, etc.

Lacto-ovo-vegetarian - Someone who does not eat meat, but who eats dairy and eggs and who may still use animal products such as leather, fur, etc.

There are many variations of the above descriptions as well. Someone might be lacto-ovo-vegetarian and still choose to not wear leather or use animal free products. They are not hard and fast “rules” so much as a way of efficiently describing one’s vegetarian diet. The one thing that all vegetarians have in common is that they don't eat meat. Other differences come from whether or not they eat eggs or dairy or use animal products that don't involve food. Differences also come from people's reasons for being vegetarian. Some do it for the animals others for health reasons. Regardless of the reasons, the common thread is that they don't eat critters.

here's a cool site
http://www.vegpeople.com
Old September 1st, 2004, 10:56 PM
~Cat Servent~

I like to call myself a "guilt ridden meat eater". I eat meat, then think about where it came from and feel guilty. I tried the vegetarian thing and really sometimes I go days without eating meat, but I am so picky about veggies I don't think I could subsist on them alone. It's very hard to stick to a non-meat diet surrounded by ex-farmers as well, they have a whole different view on animals, domestic and otherwise. There may be hope for me yet though, as I have discovered recently that I really can't tell the difference between the veggie burger and the regular....so now I order the veggie.
Old September 1st, 2004, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRONKNiGHT
Yeah i did LOL..but i did not decide or was told i should be i just stop eating meat and my mum had too always make an extra dish just for me!
LOL Knight, you sound more and more like my hubby every day! He, too, decided one day as a child that he's had about enough of this. He's not vegetarian, but he can't stand eating meat that looks like meat (??). So he'll eat only boneless, skinless chicken breasts (no chicken on the bone for him!), NO beef or pork or lamb or anything else whatsoever, he'll have the occasional hot dog (don't think that counts as meat anyway) and some pepperoni on his pizza. Makes for interesting dinners at our house!!
Old September 1st, 2004, 11:13 PM
Senior Contributor

well this may just be a hot topic. all opinions given here are mine and mine alone, do not take it personally, dont get cranky just accept a diff view, i do not judge anyone for their meat consumption.

firstly do you eat any form of flesh ironknight, that is fish etc?? just wondering. you may have noticed that many claim to be vegetarian but still eat flesh products, to me that doesnt count.

now before i go on let me say this, studies and observations have shown a significant difference btw the smell of fecies and fart of flesh eaters and non, the flesh consumers farts and fecies smell alot worse than vego. this to me indicates that the process of meat consumption in large amts like todays society (lg meaning more than 3times week) is not conducive to healthy bowels.there is a million scientifically proven health reasons to support this practice.

there are huge varieties in vegetarianism, you have your lacto/ovarian (dairy/egg) veges, you lactos or ovos, and then your pure hearts which is really veganism if you ask me.
i am a lacto vegetarian, that is i consume milk and dairy products, i do not eat eggs (ovarian). i have been a vegetartian since i was a small child and am now into my 18th year of flesh free living. i have not suffered any physical aliments or disease due to my diet.
my reason for being lacto, growing up in the dairy industry i saw plenty of cows get udder disease from not being milked properly. it is horrid and painful for the cow, if you do not milk it, it will die, so i do not see a mortal sin with consuming these products. i do however PERSONALLY see a mortal sin in the consumption of flesh and have a hard time understanding the practice.

there is a world of vegetables and products out there that make a modern vegetarian diet very tasty indeed, and there is a world of cook books and recepies around these days so a vegetarian diet is not what it was when i was a kid.

did you know that meat is the highest water and land consumer of all products grown in the world. it costs 10,000Litres of water to raise a kilo of beef, it takes 2000Litres of water to grow a kilo of legumes. soil compaction, soil degredation, loss of soil due to erosion around water sources, methane production, and many more environmental problems surround meat production. not to mention high cost (such as fencing, security etc) (but high return if lucky) to the farmer.

the only prob i have being a vegetarian is this-
there is no instructions on meat you buy in the supermarket, in this day and age with so many different ppl and religions i find it insulting that it is assumed i know how to cook meat, yes i know how to cook most but some i have trouble with. there is no instruction on aussie meat for cooking and i always have to stop old ladies to see what i do (they are always sweet and very helpful).
Old September 1st, 2004, 11:14 PM

Vagan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There! This is how happy I am to be vegan. If anyone else needs convincing to become vegan visit meet your meet at petatv.com
Old September 1st, 2004, 11:19 PM
Sammi

I too am a GRME I was a veggie for 13yrs. Started to eat fish and Chicken for health reasons (protein sups didn't work for me).
Then went to only eating chicken and fish if we went out to eat

Became pregnant last year, repulsed at the sight of chicken, but craved peppercorn steak Now I eat steak, fish and chicken. One of them, once aweek and yes I do feel guilty!
Old September 1st, 2004, 11:20 PM
Crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanie
firstly do you eat any form of flesh ironknight, that is fish etc?? just wondering. you may have noticed that many claim to be vegetarian but still eat flesh products, to me that doesnt count.
yup i dont eat fish.. in my view it's just the same as eating regular red meat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanie
i am a lacto vegetarian, that is i consume milk and dairy products, i do not eat eggs (ovarian).
OMG lol we're the SAME!! i dont drink milk but i DO use cheese
when i was a kid i've always seen it as.. it's okay too use what the animal give us..not use the animal all together..that's so prehistoric lol
Old September 1st, 2004, 11:22 PM

"Meet you meet" petatv.com

meet your meet is a good thing. It helps you see why being vegitarian is not enough and vegan is the animal rightous thing to be. There are other good videos at www.petatv.com
Old September 1st, 2004, 11:24 PM
Senior Contributor

sorry forgot to mention after reading additions by iron knight,
QUOTE'products and who may still use animal products such as leather, fur, etc. ' that sounds very american such strict definitions are not often used here. i have not had many ppl give a description as that above (i have heard it but not much).
i will only use secound hand animal products (leather, fur), i do not buy them as demand =supply and im not going to have one more cow killed for my shoes, i would rather wear none, but secound hand is just using the animals skin respectfully to me, it died for it so use it as long as you can, recycle that product as many times as possible so that animals life was not wasted and its sacrifice respected.
our cloths are all cotton, hemp or recycled plastic fibers and come from sources that are kind to the environment. we have plastic recycled cloths, that is a technology where recycled plastic bottle materials are reused to make various fabrics, the bush walking brands of mountain design and kathmandu sell these products..
i also op shop and collect all secound hand cloths that are nice, i will recycle anything i can, including clothing, a worn out dress becomes a cloth, then perhaps a polishing cloth, then a rag, the it ends its lifecycle on the compost heap or worm farm.
these days i can get recycled anything and dont have to buy brand new, i can even get recycled shoes, that is shoes with a base made out of recycled tyre matierial.
Old September 1st, 2004, 11:25 PM
Senior Contributor

yay ieonknight, that is good to hear
Old September 1st, 2004, 11:27 PM
Senior Contributor

QUOTE'It helps you see why being vegitarian is not enough '
sorry but can you elaborate, i dont know what you mean
surely your not saying that being a vegetarian is only a half arsed job, and that vegan is the only way?? i dont agree with veganism. do you know not milking a cow or goat will kill it?? i dont support killing any animal and that is why im vego not vegan.
q for vegans, what is your opinion of the milking statement above, do you find not milking a cow ok or is it cruel to you?? this is not to judge you but just to see what you think and find out about your practices and belief.
Old September 1st, 2004, 11:28 PM

Thumbs up Hemp

Hemp is alot better than trees. You all know the statistics, In three months you can grow enough hemp to supply the same demand as twelve years worth of trees. weve all heard it before. As vegan or (snicker) vegitarian we should also remember environmental issues.
Old September 1st, 2004, 11:31 PM

Vegitarian is not enough

egg laying hens have it 1ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo times worse than regular slaughter hens. Milk cows are also tourtured through out there lives in ways beef cattle are not, and if you support the milk industry you are also supporting the veal industry. Who wants to kill a calf?!
www.petatv.com
choose the short video, "meet your meat"
Old September 1st, 2004, 11:38 PM
Crusader

Melanie i'd be afriad to get on your bad side LOL
just kidding i totally agree with everything you say..
YOU GO GIRL!! lol

i see Pinkeyedmouse is taking this serious.. LOL
Old September 1st, 2004, 11:40 PM

After a childhood of diet-restricting allergies (got over most of them), I just don't want anymore diet restrictions. So even though I don't particularly like meat, and have many qualms about eating cute creatures, I haven't lept the noble leap many of you have. But I sure don't eat much of it! Tofu is cheap, fresh and so delicious in Asia!
Old September 1st, 2004, 11:43 PM
Senior Contributor

QUOTE (snicker) vegitarian' well that is downright nasty, why would you do that, cant you have intellegent discussion i take great offense to that and i know you meant to offend, did you write that because you think your practice is the only right one?? i personally think vegans extreme freaks who have no idea what they are talking about, you mention nothing useful but hemp, well that aint going to save the world, come back to reality.

QUOTE'and if you support the milk industry you are also supporting the veal industry. Who wants to kill a calf?!'
so you are saying stop milking and let them all die a painful death, yeah thats a real nice attitude for a vegan.

you say environmental issues, trees are not the only issue here but you do not mention any others, since you are sooo well informed why dont you enlighten the group to at least 3 more environmental issues surrounding flesh production?? (other than the several this well informed vegetarian gave above).
Old September 2nd, 2004, 12:00 AM
Sammi

Wow, delicate subject

How's this for "messed up" I don't use any products (make up, soaps etc) that are tested on animals, yet I eat meat, use lumber, and work with drugs that have probably been tested on animals to save animals?

It's a cruel, mixed up, muddled up, ironic world we live in.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 12:21 AM
A.R.Activist & Vet Assis.

I've been vegetarian for about 11 years now I guess and just recently vegan. Lost a lot of weight fast, feel better, more energy, and to me,it's a more thoughtful way of living. Meet your meat is a good video, yes, I agree. www.animalrightscafe.com has veg forums if anyone is interested in going vegetarian or needs advice. Also, no leather, no fur etc for me. And, just to respond to someones comment about vegans being "freaks".......I may be a lot of things, but a freak isn't one of them. I have a blurb in the cafe about meat and the environment ........if you'd like me to post it here, let me know.
Sharon
Old September 2nd, 2004, 12:23 AM
Crusader

Shae..this is off topic but i've always liked your Avatar LOL
i got that ..dont use it cuz you're using it
Attached Images

Old September 2nd, 2004, 12:26 AM

Thank you IronKnight! Feel free to use it, anything that promotes vegetarianism!
Old September 2nd, 2004, 12:39 AM
Senior Contributor

sorry shae but i didnt mean to insult you, i was just a bit p'd off at someones elses post when i wrote that.
but can i say there are statistics from health care professionals that show a high number of children of vegans to be malnutritioned, i dont agree with the practice and i dont think kids should be vegan, it should be a choice for them.
i believe leaving animals to suffer from udder disease and egg boundness/waiting to hatch is far to cruel. animals produce these products naturally, milk and eggs, i dont understand why you wouldnt use them, if you dont it can cause serious and painful health probs for the animal. my girls lay eggs, if they are not removed, the hens sit on those eggs forever waiting for a baby (and if you dont have rooster they are unfertalised), they will starve to protect the egg, can you imagine the mental stress and pain they feel??
i care too much for these animals to have them suffer in any way including the above mentioned problems. i personally could not watch a cow die slowly from udder disease, so i milk it. i cannot watch my chickens suffer anguish and unhappiness so i remove the unfertalised eggs (and if i had a rooster i would produce alot of chickens so i would have to sell some thus creating a horrid cycle).

please can a vegan give us exact reasons for this practice of not eating or consuming these products even though if we dont they will suffer?? i would really like to hear an intellegent vegan argument about this issue. (i am serious here ppl).
Old September 2nd, 2004, 12:44 AM
Senior Contributor

forgot to add above,now i am being inquisitive and ther is no insult or malice in this post.
if you dont agree with milk production and egg consumption what is the ideal situation for a vegan?? knowing that not milking a cow physicaly hurts that cow and causes intense pain and anguish, should the animals be killed thus ending the cycle of all production?? serious again here ppl
i would really like to know
Old September 2nd, 2004, 12:59 AM
banned user

SSAC

Quote:
How's this for "messed up" I don't use any products (make up, soaps etc) that are tested on animals, yet I eat meat, use lumber, and work with drugs that have probably been tested on animals to save animals?
(For whatever it's worth, that's many of us- except we buy the prescriptions rather than working with the drugs)

I nearly cheered out loud at your post. What guts you have to be SO honest, and especially on a thread like this!

*ENTHUSIASTIC APPLAUSE*
Old September 2nd, 2004, 01:16 AM

I am sooooooo sleepy. Yet, I wanted to reply Mel. No offense taken by the way. Instead of responding, which will tak em forever.....yawning.....just snoop through this site http://www.veganvoices.org/ or the cafe has some postings on veganism. (No need to register or anything if you just want to lurk...*L*) Hope this helps......if not, I can post my reasons tomorrow if thats ok. Oh, I'll quickly just explain one reason for not drinking milk....it supports the meat industry in the way that, in order to produce milk, the cow must continue to give birth, the males are taken at that point and used for veal or???? To continue bringing in profit for milk.....they continue having babes. Its an ongoing cycle. Many cows end up having their life expectancy cut short, and many find themselves crippled way before their time. So, here are a few sites to check for the info if you would like.

http://www.veganvoices.org/
www.animalrightscafe.com
http://www.notmilk.com/

Have a great evening! *yawn*
Old September 2nd, 2004, 01:18 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's Wrong with Dairy Products?
Facts about Vegetarian and Vegan Diets
Compiled from The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine

Many Americans, including some vegetarians, still consume large amounts of dairy products. Here are eight important reasons to eliminate dairy products from your diet.

1. Osteoporosis

Milk is touted for preventing osteoporosis, yet clinical research shows otherwise. The Harvard Nurses’ Health Study,1 which followed more than 75,000 women for 12 years, showed no protective effect of increased milk consumption on fracture risk. In fact, increased intake of calcium from dairy products was associated with a higher fracture risk. An Australian study2 showed the same results. Additionally, other studies3,4 have also found no protective effect of dairy calcium on bone. You can decrease your risk of osteoporosis by reducing sodium and animal protein intake in the diet,5-7 increasing intake of fruits and vegetables,8 exercising,9 and ensuring adequate calcium intake from plant foods such as leafy green vegetables and beans, as well as calcium-fortified products such as breakfast cereals and juices.

2. Cardiovascular Disease

Dairy products—including cheese, ice cream, milk, butter, and yogurt—contribute significant amounts of cholesterol and fat to the diet.10 Diets high in fat and saturated fat can increase the risk of several chronic diseases including cardiovascular disease. A low-fat vegetarian diet that eliminates dairy products, in combination with exercise, smoking cessation, and stress management, can not only prevent heart disease, but may also reverse it.11 Non-fat dairy products are available, however, they pose other health risks as noted below.

3. Cancer
Several cancers, such as ovarian cancer, have been linked to the consumption of dairy products. The milk sugar lactose is broken down in the body into another sugar, galactose. In turn, galactose is broken down further by enzymes. According to a study by Daniel Cramer, M.D., and his colleagues at Harvard,12 when dairy product consumption exceeds the enzymes’ capacity to break down galactose, it can build up in the blood and may affect a woman’s ovaries. Some women have particularly low levels of these enzymes, and when they consume dairy products on a regular basis, their risk of ovarian cancer can be triple that of other women.

Breast and prostate cancers have also been linked to consumption of dairy products, presumably related, at least in part, to increases in a compound called insulin-like growth factor (IGF-I).13-15 IGF-I is found in cow’s milk and has been shown to occur in increased levels in the blood by individuals consuming dairy products on a regular basis.16 Other nutrients that increase IGF-I are also found in cow’s milk. A recent study showed that men who had the highest levels of IGF-I had more than four times the risk of prostate cancer compared with those who had the lowest levels.14

4. Diabetes

Insulin-dependent diabetes (Type I or childhood-onset) is linked to consumption of dairy products. Epidemiological studies of various countries show a strong correlation between the use of dairy products and the incidence of insulin-dependent diabetes.17,18 Researchers in 199218 found that a specific dairy protein sparks an auto-immune reaction, which is believed to be what destroys the insulin-producing cells of the pancreas.

5. Lactose Intolerance

Lactose intolerance is common among many populations, affecting approximately 95 percent of Asian Americans, 74 percent of Native Americans, 70 percent of African Americans, 53 percent of Mexican Americans, and 15 percent of Caucasians.19 Symptoms, which include gastrointestinal distress, diarrhea, and flatulence, occur because these individuals do not have the enzymes that digest the milk sugar lactose. Additionally, along with unwanted symptoms, milk-drinkers are also putting themselves at risk for development of other chronic diseases and ailments.

6. Vitamin D Toxicity
Consumption of milk may not provide a consistent and reliable source of vitamin D in the diet. Samplings of milk have found significant variation in vitamin D content, with some samplings having had as much as 500 times the indicated level, while others had little or none at all.20,21 Too much vitamin D can be toxic and may result in excess calcium levels in the blood and urine, increased aluminum absorption in the body, and calcium deposits in soft tissue.

7. Contaminants

Synthetic hormones such as recombinant bovine growth hormone (rBGH) are commonly used in dairy cows to increase the production of milk.13 Because the cows are producing quantities of milk nature never intended, the end result is mastitis, or inflammation of the mammary glands. The treatment requires the use of antibiotics, and traces of these and hormones have been found in samples of milk and other dairy products. Pesticides and other drugs are also frequent contaminants of dairy products.

8. Health Concerns of Infants and Children

Milk proteins, milk sugar, fat, and saturated fat in dairy products may pose health risks for children and lead to the development of chronic diseases such as obesity, diabetes, and formation of athersclerotic plaques that can lead to heart disease.

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that infants below one year of age not be given whole cow’s milk, as iron deficiency is more likely on a dairy-rich diet. Cow’s milk products are very low in iron. If they become a major part of one’s diet, iron deficiency is more likely.10 Colic is an additional concern with milk consumption. One out of every five babies suffers from colic. Pediatricians learned long ago that cows’ milk was often the reason. We now know that breastfeeding mothers can have colicky babies if the mothers are consuming cow’s milk. The cows’ antibodies can pass through the mother’s bloodstream into her breast milk and to the baby.22 Additionally, food allergies appear to be common results of milk consumption, particularly in children. A recent study23 also linked cow’s milk consumption to chronic constipation in children. Researchers suggest that milk consumption resulted in perianal sores and severe pain on defecation, leading to constipation.

Milk and dairy products are not necessary in the diet and can, in fact, be harmful to your health. Consume a healthful diet of grains, fruits, vegetables, legumes, and fortified foods including cereals and juices. These nutrient-dense foods can help you meet your calcium, potassium, riboflavin, and vitamin D requirements with ease—and without the health risks.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 01:19 AM

look at the US olympic teams.................not allowed dairy

its been proved that what was thought to be calcium hitting the body is calcium spores - causing - lots of problems

calcium is great - but you wouldnt eat a clams shell - as your body cant absorb it

why drink milk - how does the cow get its calcium?
go direct

factorty farming means the cows are kept pregnant permanently to produce the milk -

cows normally only produce milk when needed

feed pasturised milk to a calf - it dies very very quickly
(posted by Gibby ....ARC)

and one more by Shelly from A.R.C.

Sharon...I am living PROOF of the fact that cutting out dairy improves your cardiovascular health. I had hypertension and high cholesterol. I was advised to quit smoking, which I did, and I gave up meat and poultry for Lent. My heart condition improved a bit. But the biggest change came after I gave up dairy. My blood pressure averages are near normal in only a month and half! With NO medication and no extra exercise.

Okay, now I REALLY have to get sleep ! Goodnight all! Sharon
Old September 2nd, 2004, 02:19 AM

i eat meat... tired to be a veggie, just cant do it. I saw a cow and a pig slaughtered in one day and couldnt eat meat for a month.. then I got the cravings.. and to be quite honest here.. I have NO will power.. sad but true. Vegan or veggie or meat lover like me, none of these ways of life are wrong, merely a way of life. People were made to be able to eat meat or to eat veggies or both. Good thing about this world is that we get to decide which we prefer more. Everyone has a difference of opinion and some will preach to high heaven for what they believe is the "right way to live, and the decent thing to do"... But what some consider to be right is not nec. what another thinks is moral and the battle continues. I believe a wise man once said.. "cant we all just get along?"
Old September 2nd, 2004, 02:26 AM
Senior Contributor

oh shae, dont stay up, go to bed missy, i can wait till tomorrow, have a good sleep now wont you

my resident dairy farmer would like me to say this, (this farmer has been in the dairy industry for most of his life and has been part of the land his whole life)

'a cow does not need to keep having calves to produce milk. the first calve a cow has start milk production and it does not cease in a cow, the only time they dry up is when the cow is pregnant'.
so a cow has one calve and can produce milk its whole life. if it was necessary to keep them getting pregnant it would not be effecient and far to expensive.

also
i got this from the victorian (australia) better health organisation, which is a govt funded and supported org also supported by the australian med ass. this is what they have to say
Milk - the facts and fallacies
Milk is an excellent source of vitamins and minerals, particularly calcium. It has long been recognised for its important role in bone health. Nutritionists recommend that milk and other dairy products should be consumed daily as part of a balanced diet. There are fallacies in the general community about the health benefits of milk. Changing your milk intake on the basis of these fallacies may mean you are unnecessarily restricting this highly nutritious drink.

Milk contains many different nutrients
Milk and milk products contain a good balance of protein, fat and carbohydrate and are a very important source of essential nutrients including:

Calcium
Riboflavin
Phosphorous
Vitamins A, D, B12
Pantothenic acid.
Milk products also contain 'high quality proteins' that are well suited to human needs. Milk proteins increase the value of poorer quality cereal and vegetable proteins in the diet by providing the amino acids these proteins lack.

Milk and health
Australians tend to restrict dairy foods when they try to lose weight, believing them to be fattening. Dairy foods contain saturated fats, which have been associated with increased blood cholesterol levels. However, dairy foods are not a threat to good health if consumed in moderation as part of a nutritious diet.

Osteoporosis
Australians receive most of their calcium from dairy foods. If milk is removed from the diet it can lead to an inadequate intake of calcium. This is of particular concern for women, who have high calcium needs. Calcium deficiency may lead to disorders like osteoporosis (a disease characterised by bone loss).

Colon cancer
Recent studies have found that people who eat a lot of dairy products or dairy product nutrients like calcium, have a reduced risk of developing colon cancer.

Blood pressure
Research in the US found that a high intake of fruits and vegetables combined with low-fat dairy decreased blood pressure more than fruits and vegetables alone.

Type 2 diabetes
A ten-year study of 3,000 overweight adults concluded that consuming milk and other milk products instead of refined sugars and carbohydrates may protect overweight young adults from developing type 2 diabetes.

Milk avoiders and flavoured milk
A recent US study reported that children who avoid milk tend to be fatter than children who drink milk. This may be because milk is being replaced by high energy drinks such as fruit juice or soft drinks.

As children move into adolescence, at the time they need the most calcium, they tend to drink less milk and more sugary soft drinks. As milk is a healthier choice, it is worth encouraging children to drink flavoured milk rather than soft drinks.

Milk and tooth decay
Milk and milk products are thought to protect against tooth decay. Eating cheese and other dairy products:
Reduces oral acidity (which causes decay)
Stimulates saliva flow
Decreases plaque formation
Decreases the incidence of dental caries.

Milk and mucous
Many people in Australia believe that nasal stuffiness is related, in part, to how much milk you drink. However, there is no scientific basis to this theory. Milk doesn't encourage extra mucous production.

Cow's milk versus goat's milk
Some people switch to goat's milk because of perceived sensitivities to cow's milk. If a person has an allergic sensitivity, it is usually due to one or more of the proteins in milk. The proteins in goat's milk are closely related to those in cow's milk so replacing one type of milk with the other usually doesn't make any difference. Although cow's and goat's milk are similar in composition, goat's milk is a greater source of calcium but a poorer source of folate.

Heated milk products, such as evaporated milk, seem to be better tolerated than unheated foods because the heating process breaks down some of the lactose.

Foods that contain lactose are better tolerated if eaten with other foods or spread out over the day, rather than being eaten in large amounts at once.

Foods that may contain hidden lactose include:
Biscuits and cakes
Processed breakfast cereals
Cheese sauce
Cream soups
Custard
Milk chocolate
Pancakes and pikelets
Scrambled eggs
Quiche
Muesli bars
Some breads
Some margarines (containing milk).

Daily calcium requirements
To meet the body's daily calcium requirement, it is recommended that you eat three serves of dairy products a day. One serve is equivalent to:
250 ml of milk
35 g (one matchbox) of cheese
200 g yoghurt
200 g (four small scoops) of ice cream.
Milk products that are poor calcium sources include cream, cottage cheese, ricotta cheese and cream cheese.

People who do not eat any dairy products may have difficulty meeting their daily calcium requirements. They will need to pay special attention to other dietary sources of calcium.

Things to remember
Milk is an excellent source of calcium and other essential nutrients.
There are many modified milks available.
Reduced fat milk and milk products may help prevent oesteoporosis and diabetes and manage high blood pressure and body weight.

but i dont want cut and pasted information or answers to my Q's, i want the information i asked in my last post in your own words and reflecting your own beliefs not those of these organisations.

SSAC- dont ever be afraid to post your opinions, it is just those that are deliberatly insulting and totally illinformed (not you shae) that i get upset about. i respect your choice to eat meat, different courses for different horses so to speak