Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old August 1st, 2006, 10:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Chinese county "culls" 50,000 dogs . . . .

A Chinese county culls 50,000 dogs:

A county in southwestern China has killed as many as 50,000 dogs in a government-ordered campaign following the deaths of three local people from rabies, official media reported on Tuesday.

The five-day massacre in Yunnan province's Mouding county spared only military guard dogs and police canine units, the Shanghai Daily reported, citing local media.

Dogs being walked were taken from their owners and beaten to death on the spot, it said. Other killing teams entered villages at night creating noise to get dogs barking, then homing in on their prey.

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/as....ap/index.html

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old August 1st, 2006, 11:34 AM
-

OMG And their rate of vaccinating for rabies is only 3%

Can't the Chinese government educate people?

This is just wrong.
Old August 1st, 2006, 12:42 PM

Sad. :sad: I think humans in general don't treat animals as well as they should though. I mean, killing these dogs for rabies suspicion, feeding cows to other cows and then killing them for mad cow, putting tubes down a goose's neck to blimp him out for some fat liver dish, feeding dogs and cats back to dogs and cats (aka ol' roy, etc), the fur industry, the chicken industry (especially the beakless, featherless nasty GMO birds), the cosmetics & pharma industries and the list just goes on and on and on. It's all going to backfire on us one day.
Old August 1st, 2006, 12:43 PM

I am sickened and horrified!! What the hell is wrong with those people?
I can't even imagine walking my dog one minute and him getting snatched, beaten, and murdered in front of me the next :sad:
Have they never heard of the rabies vaccination? Do they not believe in giving their pets the necessary shots???

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal. And I was angry. "God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment and then He spoke softly. "I have done something," He replied, "I created you." -The Animal's Savior, Copyright Jim Willis 1999
Old August 1st, 2006, 03:18 PM
Senior Contributor

This is pretty sick, but the chinese government hasn't exactly been known for it's humanitarian efforts either, so I'm not surprised that something like this would happen.
The chinese also have a long record of animal mistreatment.
Old August 1st, 2006, 04:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah just look at there zoos. They treat humans worse than we treat our animals so what else can you expect. They do not care what the rest of the world thinks they think we are blind to it.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old August 1st, 2006, 04:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Rick,it does not surprise me at all
With a human rights record like China has,how can we expect them to care one iota for defenseless animals.
I have an absolute phobia about China,the evil happenings in that country is enough to make you sick,but yet we deal with them ,I will buy nothing that says made in China
Old August 1st, 2006, 08:03 PM

God, that is terrible! They need to educate people so they will vaccinate for rabies, not kill pets!! But China doesn't even care about the rights of the humans in the country, so it's not surprising animals get treated horribly too. :sad:

It's stupid that the US boycotts Cuba because "ZOMG COMNUNISTS!!!" and then act like China is our best friend in the world.
Old August 3rd, 2006, 02:15 PM
Senior Contributor

On the French news(France)I was not forewarned about what they were about to show after a huge flood in China.
Their so called ZOO,had been totally abandonned,no efforts were made to save the animals,they showed lions,tigers,bears and many other animals swimming in their cages,it was the stuff nightmares are made of,I just could not get the pictures out of my head...
I pity any animal unfortunate enough to end up,or being born in China,be they cats,dogs,bears or anything with 4 legs and fur
Old August 4th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Senior Contributor

A second Chinese city plans to cull its dogs . . . . . as many as 500,000.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14181622/

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old August 4th, 2006, 02:19 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

OMG so much tragic there. Talk about phobias!!! ok so now there's a 2nd plan to mass another dog slaughter to "control" a rabies outbreak days after a similar cull in which 50,000 were beaten to death prompted a torrent of criticism. (actually officials offered owners .63 to kill their's themselves before teams were sent in). The big plan is to kill all dogs within a three miles of areas where rabies had been found - which amount to about 500,000 more dogs are to be killed.

Zhang Luping - founder of the Beijing Human and Animal Envir. Edu. Center says "this really damages our national image and sets a really bad example to just how lazy and inconsiderate those loyal goverment officers are"Ya figure? The next thing we will be reading though are how activists are just extremist's when trying to ask the puplic to quit contributing to this kind of cruelty ... B.O.Y.C.O.T.T. China! It's called pressure tactics

So let me see ... they breed them solely to keep up with our demand for fur (let's not forget for some their diets) and because their kept in filthy cramped despicable conditions with no vet available in the whole country they legally get beaten to death because their spreading a virus that is of no fault of theirs to their people What a sick sick world!!
Old August 4th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Senior Contributor

The chinese government could care less.
It would be more humane and a lot easier just for them to shoot the dogs, but ammo costs money, therefore probably cheaper to just beat them to death with clubs (which appears to be what they're doing).

Oh and I love this quote
Quote:
“People opposed to killing dogs ought to think how they’d feel if they or a relative was infected with rabies. Are people’s or dogs’ lives more important?” said another, also unsigned.
Um, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get infected because if a questionable animal bit me I'd get vaccinated before the onset of symptoms.
Not to mention if I did get infected I don't think I'd call for a mass slaughter of all the dogs in the U.S..
Vets and shelters in the U.S. don't put dogs down by beating them with clubs as far as I know either.

What's dumb is according to one of the articles I read, China has steep fees and regulations just for owning a dog as a pet, but apparently these regulations don't include getting your dog a rabies vaccination? Uh, yeah, that makes lots of sense.
Like I said, all the chinese government cares about is money.

Last edited by MyBirdIsEvil; August 4th, 2006 at 04:25 PM.
Old August 5th, 2006, 06:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Nothing happening in China makes sense to civilized nations,but yet the world deals with them all in the name of saving $$$ on cheap labour.
The Canadian government will do nothing about OUR import of cat/dog fur,knowing these animals are most likely skinned alive and suffered horribly before mercifully they die.
We also legally or illegally sell the Chinese different animal-parts(bear,seals)often used in the ignorant belief it will increase their sexual prowess,it goes on even here in China-Town.
One of the reasons,according to our government we cannot stop dealing in questionable fur from China,we club seals to death and 99% of the seal-furs go to China and Russia,even bear,wolf,lynx etc..
In a country where humans are allowed only one child,where baby-girls are often killed and abandonned,where organs are taken from living prisoners to be sold to people needing transplants,how can we ever expect them to respect any life,much less animals
Look at the labels in anything you buy,to me if it says Made in China,no matter how cheap it is,I will not buy it.
Not that it makes any difference,but to me,it's morally wrong buying anything from a country as cruel and uncaring as China.
Old August 5th, 2006, 10:35 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

It's been talked about so many times regarding the treatment of dogs and cats in China, well all animals for that matter. But this time it's not about their issues in terms of human treatment or their bizarre foods, strange delicacies and their superstitiously brutal slaughtering methods and fraudulent health myths.

It's also not about placing animal lives before humans. Dog, cat or human ... killing is wrong. It's about their chosen method to eliminate a problem they created in the most unacceptable barbaric manner at no cost to them.

And besides this, how does China thinks this approach is suppose to be effective in controlling this outbreak? Rabied dogs need to be destroyed, agreed but with their technology-boasting scientists why can't they find a way to kill the diseased animals painlessly and quicky in mass numbers?

Most likely it's not even the people's pets that are the carriers ... the people hang on to their dogs for dear life and are not allowed to walk them unless it's before dawn or after dusk - just not to offend anyone! It's the strays that fortunately got away and racoons being the most common carriers. Why not drop rabbie pellets into the woods for starters (read that was effective somewhere )and make it a law to vaccinate their animals including all the markets. Just their food consumption is a disease pattern all in itself - how do they even know it wasn't their planned prepared meal seeing their so fond and take great care to achieve the freshest meat possible? Cripes their skinning animals alive ... they don't touch saliva?

Why is it other countries can manage to vaccine their animals ... what makes China so incapable, their not a developed country?

How many times do we have to hear "poor me - my children and I are poor/hungry/endangered, this is all we can do to save ourselves, using what we have" Yet who imported the bulk of the 327,000 seals that were just slaughtered @ $105/pelt - Canada sold over 30 million dollars worth ... China and Russia, so poor hey? And again so poor how can they even think they can host the upcoming olympics? I think we all know what's going to happen to all the animals then too.

sigh ... it makes you just want to give up but like the seal hunt, puppy mills etc you just have to do what you can and hope that the people who do love animals stick together and fight with what they got for them - whatever that may be.

You can respond to a UK poll asking "should the chinese gov't stop the culls?" @ http://news.aol.co.uk/article.adp?id...04051109990010 Also, you can sign a petition "say no to mass dog slaughter in china" and to urge the gov't to adopt rabies prevention as a rule @ http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takea...tl=1154833753:

and/or BOYCOTT ALL CHINESE MADE GOODS
Old August 5th, 2006, 10:47 PM
An Honest Contributor

The petition only started on Aug 3 - whooping 27,019 signatures so far, that's a positive step for sure.
Old August 5th, 2006, 10:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Most likely it's not even the people's pets that are the carriers ... the people hang on to their dogs for dear life and are not allowed to walk them unless it's before dawn or after dusk - just not to offend anyone! It's the strays that fortunately got away and racoons being the most common carriers. Why not drop rabbie pellets into the woods for starters (read that was effective somewhere )and make it a law to vaccinate their animals including all the markets
Like I said all the chinese government cares about is money. If they kill all the pet dogs then the people have to pay to register more dogs and so on, so why should they care about it?
They also want the populace to fear them so they can keep control, this is how it ALWAYS works there.
Old August 5th, 2006, 11:53 PM
An Honest Contributor

I was speaking with a Chinese family a few weeks back and she said to buy a dog it'll cost anywhere between 1,000-1,500 for a small one. If you own a dog and it grows bigger then a certain size (cant remember) they kill it. There's also absolutely no vet anywhere or treatment for any animals. Their here on vacation and she told me they had to hide the dog with family in fear. It's just horrible. Imagine having to live that way?
Old August 6th, 2006, 01:26 AM
Senior Contributor

fI found this article interesting (was searching on google for info on dog ownership in china). It explains stuff like how owning a dog is viewed there, and how expensive it is.

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/China_B.../HA31Cb05.html

Oh and this quote got me:

Quote:
More than 40 categories of dogs including Dalmatians, terriers, collies and Labradors remain illegal to own, as they are deemed "dangerous" by city authorities because of their size.
and I thought banning pit bulls was dumb.

Really though, collies ARE huge dangerous vicious dogs, I would know, I have one doesn't he look angry and vicious?
Attached Images

Last edited by MyBirdIsEvil; August 6th, 2006 at 01:59 AM.
Old August 6th, 2006, 06:34 AM
Senior Contributor

China is,with it's 1 billion 300.000+inhabitants like a slave-labourmarket for the rest of the world.
It is NOT a developed country,only for a"lucky"few,driving Mercedes wearing sealcoats,living in well protected luxury.

Their cruelty against other living beeings is no secret to the rest of the world.
WARNING GRAPHIC writing!
25 yrs ago,I by accident saw a Chinese man,skin and boil a cat alive,the cat was still meowing when he was thrown in to the boiling water.
I had nightmares for a very long time after this.
The documentary started with a man carrying this cat by his neck,I had no idea what was to come
That was the last time I ever watched anything involving the Chinese and animals,it's bad enough reading about it,it was also the last time I ever bought anything marked"Made in China".
Communist Cuba,is paradize on earth,compared to hellish China
Old August 6th, 2006, 08:19 AM
An Honest Contributor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People%...ublic_of_China like I said above it's not about their treatment of people, this is about "culling" and surely the government can come up with another resource other then this: http://www.latimes.com/news/printedi...ck=1&cset=true
Old August 7th, 2006, 06:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Golden Girls,I did not look at your sites provided,fearing more nightmarish pics,but I do believe it's not only about the poor animals,but also the attitude of people towards these unfortunate creatures.
The average Chinese is not very informed of what goes on in the rest of the world and for anything to change,the people have to change how they feel about animals.
I doubt any of these people feel they are doing anything wrong in beating a dog to death or skinning a cat alive,they might even take some sort of pleasure in doing so,seeing their own miserable exsistence.
The people need to open their eyes and hearts to the suffering they are causing and the outrage much of the rest of the world feels.
However,I doubt any news from the outside world ever reaches them or that most can even read,China will remain a fortress of evil as long as it's profitable to some.
Old August 7th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Senior Contributor

chico, I think a lot of people over there know it's wrong, but most of the people there still don't speak out against their government, and a lot of the ones that do are doing it at the risk to their life.
Old August 7th, 2006, 07:42 PM
An Honest Contributor

I doubt anyone would ever even consider posting pictures of their ways Chico and even more so, me. I can probably talk for most people when I say if anyone either by accident or otherwise ever clicked in and saw either pictures or videos they would never again make the same mistake.

I do want to comment though that not all chinese do terrible things to animals. Children have been forced literally to watch very young to try and desensitize themselves. The 50,000 dogs they just bludgeoned to death were in fact pets ... not the animals bred for market. Their government, officials and marketers etc that can do these unhumanly acts are just that ... not human period. They probably do take great pleasure in tormenting animals but those same people would have no problem either doing the exact same thing to humans.

I don't think our governments should have dealings with China until they can prove their willing to at least join the civilized world.
Old August 8th, 2006, 02:00 AM

Good point, Golden Girls! This horrible massacre was the brainchild of the Chinese government . . . and, let's face it, even if the Chinese people disagree, what can they do about it? Their government is not a fan of dissenters.

(Although it is interesting that the state-run newspaper was down on it! It sounds like even the government doesn't approve of the local government, LOL!)

I did know a guy from China who immigrated here . . . He was interested in Ebony, but slightly fearful of her. He said in China mainly small dogs were pets while large dogs were guard dogs. But he was fascinated by the connection I had with my dog and that I could play with her ears without worrying about getting bitten. He did give her some petting in the end.
Old August 8th, 2006, 06:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Golden Girls,no,I don't think you would intentionally post horrific scenes,but I am such a wuzz,even reading about the goings on makes me ill.
I'll sign petitions,stop buying Chinese products.
I've talked to my local flower-shop,who sells the life-like ornamental cats from China and told them it's cat-fur(which I know for a fact) and other places where these ornaments are sold,but that's all I can do,which is practically nothing
Just touching the fur-lined hoods of the jackets,gloves etc.. sold in stores like Zellers,Wal-Mart knowing what it is,can ruin my day...maybe it's because i am"old(er)",but I despise everything China stands for.
Old August 14th, 2006, 12:48 PM

I agree with MyBird is Evil

I agree CHINA's policies are incredibly STUPID!!!!! So they charge fees to own a pet, yet exclude vaccination for the animal! What a greedy country, boycott Chinese products!! I will!!!

- cameraelle!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBirdIsEvil
The chinese government could care less.
It would be more humane and a lot easier just for them to shoot the dogs, but ammo costs money, therefore probably cheaper to just beat them to death with clubs (which appears to be what they're doing).

Oh and I love this quote

Um, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get infected because if a questionable animal bit me I'd get vaccinated before the onset of symptoms.
Not to mention if I did get infected I don't think I'd call for a mass slaughter of all the dogs in the U.S..
Vets and shelters in the U.S. don't put dogs down by beating them with clubs as far as I know either.

What's dumb is according to one of the articles I read, China has steep fees and regulations just for owning a dog as a pet, but apparently these regulations don't include getting your dog a rabies vaccination? Uh, yeah, that makes lots of sense.
Like I said, all the chinese government cares about is money.