Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old September 8th, 2003, 02:00 PM

Banning breeds

Hi there,
I am doing research on aggressive dogs for a news story. I need to speak with people who are trying to get certain breeds of dogs banned. I have already spoken to people who don't support this view. I am looking for Canadian responses only.
You can reach me at cstancl@ctv.ca
Thank you.
Catherine
Old September 9th, 2003, 08:02 AM

You are on the WRONG board.

I've been here a while...It seems to me people in this forum don't believe in the premise of your story at all.

All your story will do will get innocent dogs put down.
A dog bites man story...not original at all but always provocative.

Now an interesting story would be Banning aggressive people from having dogs. Or stupid parents who leave dogs and small children unsupervised, the child gets bitten...and it's the dog's fault. Yes then let's ban the whole breed. STUPIDITY!

Are you sure the research is for CTV and not Jerry Springer?

Shame on You for not checking out the pulse of this group before posting.

I hope no-one one this board helps this reporter, who will ultimately hurt the lives of many dogs.
Old September 9th, 2003, 10:24 AM

I agree with clarence in every way. Im new here, but from what i've seen so far the people here are for responsable ownership and not taking the easy (and very ignorant) way out by banning breeds. I certainly hope that you are not going to glamourize "aggressive" dogs as you will only be adding to the problem. I hope you know with a story like yours you will be murdering thousands of innocent dogs.
Old September 9th, 2003, 09:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Well to be honest she didn't say she was writing an article in favour of breed bans - she's already talked to folks who think it's a dumb idea (I certainly do!) and any fair article needs to have both points of view.
Old September 10th, 2003, 09:35 AM

Thanks Carina,
It seems I should have been more clear in my request. I am speaking with people on BOTH sides of the issue. I already have several people lined up for our program that hold the same opinion as you-- it all boils down to responsible ownership. But to be a responsible storyteller, I am required to tell BOTH sides of the story, not just one. That's why I am looking for someone who believes in banning breeds. I am not saying it's right. I am just trying to get the other view point. And the responses I have gotten so far have been very helpful to my research.
Catherine
cstancl@ctv.ca
Old September 13th, 2003, 07:36 PM

Well said clarence
Old September 15th, 2003, 09:27 AM

I am extremely cynical when it comes to good reporting, and ethical reporters.

Carina is right. I SHOULD give the reporter a chance....but ultimately I feel I'll be let down.

I suspect if I do see the report it will confirm EVERYTHING I said in my first post.

When it comes to reporters and reporting these days it seems that only bad news and provocative sound bites are the way to sell the story. Let's SEE which angle predominates in this news story. Will it be responsible dog ownership, or foaming barking dogs that lead in to the story?

God bless O.J, entertainment tonite, and the masses for this predicament.

Hoping i'm wrong,

Clarence
Old September 15th, 2003, 02:39 PM

I've e-mailed Cat a few times and im hoping that she is on the animal lovers side of the story. This is a quote from one of her mails>>" I think it would open people's eyes to what does happen when cities start banning dogs-- it's a band-aid solution that doesn't fix the true problem. That is what I'm hoping to accomplish." I hope that is more the angle of her story rather than bad press for innocent dogs. I am willing to give the story a chance, but I certainly hope that it has a good end result. I can't even live in the city where I work because of a breed ban.
Old September 15th, 2003, 08:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Well...I've done some freelance writing, and it would be irresponsible to try writing a balanced story about an issue without at least considering both sides. You at least have to KNOW the reasons that the "other" side has for taking whatever the opposing view is! And it appears that, based on the email excerpt, Cat's story will be slanted towards the ridiculousness of breed bans.

Hopefully she found another forum where many people support breed bans! Apparently not this one...

For the record I think they are a complete waste of time and tax payer money and don't even come CLOSE to addressing the actual problem - overbreeding and stupid owners. I have Rottweilers (and really like pitbulls, BTW - I've fostered three and loved them.) So obviously I think it's a dumb idea!

BTW - much of Italy has just enacted a muzzle law. Almost 100 breeds of dogs are now required to be muzzled at all times when in public - most of them working breeds, Mollossers (mastiff type dogs) and pit bull/terriers. It's a real shame. This isn't the only continent with these problems.
Old September 15th, 2003, 08:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Here's some info on the Italian law.
CORGIES!!??
Heck, they'll be requiring muzzles on kittens next. This is ridiculous.

"Italy has put border collies, corgis and St Bernards on a dangerous
dogs
list that bans children and criminals from owning them.
A new law came into force this weekend after being passed by emergency
decree. The move follows a series of pit bull attacks that made
front-page headlines this summer.
The new legislation places a number of restrictions on ownership of 92
kinds of "threatening" dogs, reports the Daily Telegraph
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/> .
The list includes dobermanns, bull mastiffs and German shepherds, as
well
as pit bulls, but it also covers Newfoundlands, a breed with a
for mildness. Staffordshire bull terriers are not on the list.
Minors, delinquents and criminals who have caused harm to people or
animals will all be barred from owning such dogs, the law states.
In cases of illegal possession, it provides for the animal's seizure.
Those people who are deemed to be suitable owners will be required to
keep
'dangerous' category dogs muzzled and on leads in public.
In addition, they will have to take out special third-party insurance -
expected to cost about £140 a year - in the event that their pet causes
anyone physical harm."
Old September 16th, 2003, 12:53 AM

Smile

Corgies! That is truly insane! I hope that Cat posts when her news story is going to air so I can be sure to see it. I am giving her the benifit of the doubt and I hope that its a positive news piece.
Old September 16th, 2003, 10:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
For the record I think (breed bans) are a complete waste of time and tax payer money and don't even come CLOSE to addressing the actual problem - overbreeding and stupid owners.
Exactly!! And I might add that there are people deliberately breeding pit bulls with guardian breeds like mastiffs. When these dogs attack, they are identified as "pit bulls". Breed hysteria is nothing new. In the 60's it was German Shepherds, in the 70's - Dobermans and in the 80's, pit bulls.

The millions of pit bulls who have never, and WILL never bite anyone are discounted, and the few who do attack make front page headlines. These are dogs who were historically known for their reliability with people, particularly children. And of course, many of these dogs in "PIT PULL ATTACKS!" stories are not pit bulls at all, but everything from hounds to pugs! Any dog who attacks and who has short hair and a stocky build is a "pit bull"!

I am very leery of the media. Before I got my pit bull (best dog I've ever had) I just KNEW pit bulls were vicious and unpredictable maneaters. Since I had never met or even seen one, how did I know that? From the media of course!

Headlines screaming "PIT BULL MAULS INFANT" is apt to sell many more papers than "Pomeranian (or Doxie or husky, etc) Kills Baby".
Old September 17th, 2003, 07:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes - I forgot to mention "stupid breeders." Rottweilers get pretty much the same bad press...and unethical evil people see Rottweilers as money making opportunities because Rotties tend to have large litters (often ten or more puppies) that can be sold for $200 or so, even if poorly bred - which most are. And many buyers are naive or ignorant, thinking "AKC registered" or "German bloodlines" or "170lb father" actually means something good.

Right before last Christmas, there was an ad in my local newspaper. "Pregnant female Rottweiler for sale. Make christmas money! $200.00" I kid you not. I came SO close to getting that dog and either aborting her (if the pregnancy was fairly new) or at least trying to find decent homes for whatever pups might result. I just couldn't do it, I had absolutely no room for a pregnant Rottweiler of questionable origins or temperament. I let some folks in Rottweiler rescue know, but someone had already bought the dog. And so it goes.

Bye the bye - a Pomeranian DID kill a baby in California some years ago! I can't remember the whole story, but I read it in the paper.
Old October 8th, 2003, 10:17 PM
Cat Lover

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LuckyRescue
>Breed hysteria is nothing new. In the 60's it was German Shepherds, in the 70's - Dobermans and in the 80's, pit bulls.

Having owned and trained a Dobermann I can relate to this thread. My Alex was an amazing example of intelligence, restraint and gentleness. He worked, played and lived beside me for all the short ten years of his life. I am still astounded by the assumption that a breed like his should be owned by ANYONE who is not willing to take the time and effort required to properly train these amazing animals to bring out the best in them, which takes time, patience and a great understanding of the working dog. IMHO there ought to be "irresponsible person specific" by laws instead of "breed specific" by laws. His photo I have pasted below from the virtual pet cemetery here..

http://www.pets.ca/petsites/viewcemetery.php?petid=761
Old October 8th, 2003, 11:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Beautiful dog, marrielle!

I have a friend with an absolutely lovely Dobe named Rueben.

And I actually dissuade people who say they think Rottweilers are "cool" and want to have one, unless they are relatively experienced dog people, or seem willing to become one. They are NOT easy dogs to train and raise right. But worth every minute when they turn out great.
Old October 9th, 2003, 11:39 AM
Cat Lover

I agree that they are well worth the effort to train well! I'm sure your Rottweillers are beautiful..I trained beside a woman you owned and loved a male Rottweiller, gorgeous dog, nice woman, great team. I often saw similarities between her dog and mine but they were fleeting in that her dog was less of a "scanner" than mine. To keep a Dobie's attention is not always easy as they are always looking out for possible problems, sometimes too much so. Also they don't like off leash too much I found as they are more comfortable glued to their owners. Have a great day..