Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 22nd, 2004, 10:47 PM

cat wont eat after back surgery

I have a 13 yr old cat that just had back surgery for 2 fractures. He will not eat for me. The hospital said on his 4th day he started to eat.....they said something about fish heads.
Does anyone have any kind of recipes to get him to eat or where I can find fish heads.....and how to make them. I have tried everything. My little guy has to live for me....Thanks
Tammy
Old January 22nd, 2004, 11:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Poor kitty! Is he on pain medication? If not, you might ask the vet for some, as most cats will not eat when in pain.

To tempt him to eat, get a can of human grade salmon, or tuna, cook up some hamburger, chicken meat and try chicken flavored babyfood.

If he is on pain meds already, get some popsicle sticks, mix up the salmon and put a bit on the stick and wipe on the roof of your cat's mouth.

You can also get very smooth and soft catfood, that has no lumps, at the vet, fill a syringe with it and squirt a little at a time into the side of the cat's mouth, or you can use the popsicle stick method.

I don't know anything about fish heads. Maybe he meant to boil the fishhead and pour the broth over the cat food?
Old January 24th, 2004, 08:43 AM
Senior Contributor

I probably am not on the right track,but some big pet supply stores,ie Super-Pet,Pet-Smart..sell canned catfood made from mostly Mackerell heads,including eye-balls(yuck!!)my cats liked it for a while.
Or,when I had a cat as a girl(a loooong time ago)no cat-food was available in the store,my mom got free fish-heads from the fishmarket,boiled them and my cat loved it,but I suppose canned tuna or salmon would be about the same.