Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Recipes for pets

Old October 19th, 2007, 06:45 PM

Bland Diet for my Puppy?

Hello all, I’m pretty new to the group but the stuff I have learned and the advice I have gotten thus far is invaluable! Thank you all. Yesterday I posted on the Health Thread about my Puppy Great Dane and how he has Diarrhea. I got a lot of good advice and suggestions and I’m deciding to go to a raw diet. I have no idea where to start with that…get a meat grinder, or not….what kind of meat….what to add…how much to feed, etc. But I ordered a book and my breeder says this book will help answer all my questions.

Anywho, to my actual question. Many people on here have suggested I feed a Bland Diet to start with to help his body get back on track and rest. I’m all for this!

My problem is I don’t know how much to feed. I have a 70lb. puppy Great Dane, 6 months old. He eats 7 ˝ cups of kibble right now.

How much cooked white rice?
How much chicken broth?
How much scrambled egg?

After a few days of the above ingredients….
How much broiled chicken?
How much pumpkin?

I will do this for a week and then I will start the raw diet! I hope I know how to do the raw diet by then. I also need to find a cheap freezer! I’m going to poor by the end of the week

Thanks so much.
Becky
Old October 19th, 2007, 09:22 PM

So i did some searching on a couple other blog sites and got some information. For future refrence for others here's what i did for the Bland Diet.

I figured out how many calories he was taking in from his kibble: 324 calories a cup x 7.5 cups a day = 2,430 calories a day divided by 3 (fed 3 times a day) = 810 calories per meal.

So i gave him 2 cups cooked white rice (640 calories)
2 1/2 eggs (175 calories)
1/3 cup Low Sodium Chicken Broth (5 Calories)
Total calories= 820 Calories (a little over, oh well)

He was a little weirded out at first...where is the kibble?...but then he scarfed it down. I'll let you all know the results after a few days.

Also, after 4-5 days I’m going to add some Pumpkin & boneless skinless broiled chicken breast.

Question: anyone know about adding Pedilite to his meals? My Breeder said she does when her Danes are throwing up or have diarrhea, any thoughts on that?
Old October 20th, 2007, 12:59 AM
-

I responded to your pedialyte question in your other thread.

I strongly recommend that you do not rely on just one book or resouce in learning about a raw diet. This is our forum for raw feeding: http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64 . In itself it's a great resource but it also contains links to and book lists for other great learning tools.