Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old October 22nd, 2007, 11:18 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Foster momma randomly attacking Puddles

My foster momma who I plan to adopt randomly attacks my Puddles for no reason . Puddles is a 8 lb little senior lady who will hiss at the kittens and momma if they come to her chair, but will never seek aggression. Most of the time momma will ignore Puddles' hisses, but occasionally will walk up to Puddles and attack her. I know it is coming because she stares intently at Puddles just before the attack. This does not happen daily and is without provocation from Puddles. She will also go after Jasper who does not fight back, never hissed, plays with her kittens and even though he is neutered (but when he was at the SPCA at about 5 years old), he has tried to have his way with her when she was in heat. Minutes later, she will be calmly sitting within inches of Jasper or Puddles just ignoring them. Puddles will stare back, but Jasper does the turning of the head movement, which makes no difference to my foster. Also she is not yet spayed and has been going in and out of heat for the last few weeks. SHE IS GETTING SPAYED ON WEDNESDAY AND I AM SO HAPPY! She has also done this on at least one occasion with her kittens.

Does anybody know if this may be hormone related and stop after she is spayed?
Old October 22nd, 2007, 04:49 PM
~Cat Servent~

Um.... just sounds like cats learning to live together so far. I imagine that it will slow down at least when she is spayed as she may be a little less territorial... Good luck with them all.... and bravo for taking her in to start with!!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old October 22nd, 2007, 06:30 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

They have been introduced for going on about one month now and only started hissing after she went into heat. The attacks are very random. One minute she doesn't care about Puddles and Jasper one minute and then suddenly she decides to attack. She literally runs after them to attack! I have had my Snowball (RIP) do this with cats who come into his yard, but never had any cats fighting in my house. Maybe I have been lucky in the past.
Old February 19th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Update and HELP

Well it is getting worse between Puddles and Sweet Pea, to the point I may have to rehome Sweet Pea.

Sweet Pea and Jasper are now best friends, constant companions. Since the kittens have left, Sweet Pea allows Jasper to get to the Orijen bag and there is no food aggression anymore.

Puddles and Sweet Pea on the other hand are not getting any better and Sweet Pea is actually getting worse with Puddles. Puddles is a non agressive, timid cat that will hiss and growl if Sweet Pea comes within 10 feet, but will not attack. Sweet Pea will try any way she can to sneak up on Puddles and attack. She likes to attack from behind or while Puddles is sleeping.

Currently Sweet Pea is locked in a bedroom while we are at work. When we get home Puddles is fed, then locked up in a bedroom while I do my work out and get dinner fixed. When Puddles is let out or anytime they are both free, Sweet Pea is walked with a leash and harness to stop her from attacking Puddles. I do this until bed time at which time, Puddles is fed, and brought into the bedroom to sleep for the night (door closed)

I thought the leash and harness would help get them used to each other without an attack but IT IS NOT WORKING! I allow Sweet Pea and Puddles to stare at each other as much as possible and only take Sweet Pea away when she lunges at Puddles. Things are actually worse now than when they first met and Sweet Pea's kittens were in the house. Sweet Pea actually tries to stalk Puddles like she is prey.

Tried the baby powder, keep a spray bottle with water under Puddles's chair that I spray Sweet Pea with when she attacks.

Any other suggestions, I am getting desperate, I just can't keep them seperated forever and this is not fair to Puddles.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 19th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Geek Club CEO

I can't offer any help, but I can offer some empathy...we're in the same situation with Boo and Riley (Riley attacking). What you wrote is ridiculously familiar. Riley's latest trick is to hide under the dog's raised food dishes, and ambush Boo when she goes to the water bowl. It's not play-fighting at all. Boo, like your Puddles, is a big laid-back love bug, but she growls whenever Riley's nearby. We've tried everything we (and our vets) can think of, and it's not getting any better. We have other concerns about her too, so we're looking into rehoming her. It's a heartbreaking situation for all of us.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)

Last edited by bendyfoot; February 19th, 2008 at 12:08 PM. Reason: wanted to add more detail
Old February 19th, 2008, 12:21 PM
-

I'm so sorry Love4himies :sad:
Old February 19th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Thanks guys, I am hoping somebody has been able to successfully integrate two cats that got off on a wrong foot.

Actually Sweet Pea was much better with Puddles when they were first introduced, very strange, Sweet Pea just ignored Puddles.

Bendyfoot, Sweet Pea likes to hide under my bed (we have a bedskirt) in wait for Puddles.

My avatar (sp?) is a picture of them all three of them sleeping within 10 feet of each other. Took that picture back in October. You can't really see Puddles, she is on the furthest chair beside the window.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 19th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendyfoot View Post
Riley's latest trick is to hide under the dog's raised food dishes, and ambush Boo when she goes to the water bowl. It's not play-fighting at all. Boo, like your Puddles, is a big laid-back love bug, but she growls whenever Riley's nearby.

Here is a back to you.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old February 19th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Senior Contributor

You guys might want to check out a book called "Cat vs. Cat" by animal behaviourist Pam Johnson-Bennett. I haven't personally read it but I've heard it can help immensely with tension in multi-cat households. http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old February 19th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Thanks Sugarcatmom, I am hoping to go to Chapters tomorrow to see if I can get a copy of Cat vs Cat.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old February 22nd, 2008, 11:51 AM
~Cat Servent~

I'm gonna look into that too... my Smoke is much like your Puddles... she has never adjusted to any of the newer arrivals, and hisses and growls at them daily. I am always sure to give her special one on one time, but I believe something happened early on that made her so scared and angry at the boys. I do not seperate them at all, they all have their own safe/alone spots they sought out on their own, and if I hear a particularly frantic Smoke, I do spray the one who happens to be annoying her... thing is the more hissy and growly she gets the more fun they seem to think it is. It's been going on like that for 3 years now with no end in sight.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old March 1st, 2008, 02:32 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Starting from scratch

Well I am starting from scratch.

Puddles and Sweet Pea have been kept totally seperate for a week.

They are now allowed free together with 100% supervision and water bottle in hand. Sweet Pea is not being harnessed and allowed to run free, rather than me walking her like I was before. They are separated while we sleep and are out of the house.

So far, Sweet Pea has shown an interest in getting to Puddles, but has not fluffed her fur to go in for an attack and is easily distracted by Jasper or me tossing a toy. Puddles has calmed down a lot and will only hiss if Sweet Pea gets very close. that Sweet Pea is loosing interest in Puddles and we will soon have peace in the house.
As soon as they don't have to be separated anymore I can foster kittens again from Gananoque Humane Society . I miss the pitter patter of tiny kitten paws.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old March 2nd, 2008, 02:20 AM

for peace in the L4H house

hopefully they've all gotten over their issues w/each other

Good Boy Referee Jasper

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old March 2nd, 2008, 08:04 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
for peace in the L4H house

hopefully they've all gotten over their issues w/each other

Good Boy Referee Jasper
Thanks Growler, this is Sweet Pea's last chance and I told her so. Sweet Pea is a wonderful cat, who is so loving and well trained. I won't give up on her easily, but do have to think of Puddles first.

Yesterday went very, very well. No hisses from Puddles she seems much more relaxed around Sweet Pea. Of course with no hisses, Sweet Pea doesn't seem to get aggressive with Puddles. It just seemed to be a vicious circle before, Puddles hissing and growling, Sweet Pea going in for the attack when she heard Puddles and Puddles getting more scared and more serious hisses and growls then Sweet Pea would get even more serious about a fight.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old March 2nd, 2008, 01:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Good luck I had to reintroduce onnie and hazel twice b4 they decided to be friends