Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Closed Thread

Old January 30th, 2007, 05:26 PM
hello all

Smile need help with hopefully pregnant dog

my female dog {sandi} as just gone through standing for my male dog,
she is no longer interested in him, but this is my first time,there is reddy bloody watery discharge,is this normal,
Old January 30th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Senior Contributor

The only person who can tell you what is going on with your dog is a vet.
Are you a professional breeder? If not, you're going to meet with alot of negative responses from members of this forum.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old January 30th, 2007, 05:47 PM
hello all

hi

no im not a breeder,took my eyes of my female,for 2 sec's,and the male was there,just looking for advice,trying to do the right thing,not egnoring the sitution,but i will fone my vet's tomorrow,never had a female dog,before, thanks for ur help
Old January 30th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Why would you HOPE your dog is pregnant?? Just curious,.
Old January 30th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Im sorry to say that yes you are going to get alot of negative responses on that post around here. While we really should educate people on spaying and neutering instead of angry posts, you have to understand that many of us are involved in rescues in some way.
I strongly advise you to get your female spayed asap...regardless if she is pregnate or not... please take the time to look on www.petfinder.com and look up the breed of your dog... it will show you a list of that breed currently in shelters or rescue looking for their forever homes. Having another litter added to the world of over population is only going to keep the cycle going...
Thousands of perfectly healthy wonderful dogs and cats are put to sleep daily in the world. Please consider having her spayed... raising a litter of pups is hard work and it is also hard on your female. There is no way to really ensure your pups will not be bred as well....
Think of the math for a second...
1 large breed female... can have 2 litters per year... each litter could consist of 10 pups.. thats 20 puppies per year from that one female.. now.
Lets say 10 of those pups are females... thats 200 more pups a year
Now out of those 200... 100 are females( have the same sized litter)... thats 2000 pups a year.... All from your dog.

Little food for thought there. Your dog could easily contribute to over 20 000 pups in her life time alone. Not including the males born from her lineage.
Of those 20 000 lets say 50% end up in rescue... thats 10 000 more dogs that need loving homes, forever homes.
Please please consider spaying.
Old February 4th, 2007, 12:01 AM

Get her spayed ASAP. Your not going to make money you will lose money its a lot of time also. Are you willing to get up every two hours to feed puppies if something happens to the mom or she doesn't take care of them. Are you willing to deal with 8 weeks of puppy poop and pee? Are you willingt to take off work so you can be there for the birth in case anything goes wrong? Are you willing to shell oout the cash for the ultrasounds vitamins and so on? Are you willing to drive out at 3 in the morning to the animal hospital to get the puppies and mom checked out after the birth? Are you willing to spend hours and hours finding the perfect new owners of the puppies? IF this doesn't defer you I have more. Are the dogs certified according to the breed not just AKC but CERF or OFFA (may differ from breed to breed) are they an excelent representation fo the breed according to a reputable breeder? Do they have a title? If you can't answer these questions with a yes do not breed!!! Which I'm sure you can't so congradulations you just sent 4(or any number) puppies to the animal shelter condemed to live the rest of their lives behind bars which leads to a quick shot of death.
Lady the cocker spaniel mix ??? 3-5 years old

Cats
Felicity the grey medium haired cat 3 yrs
Hope the calico 4 years
Marco the tabby cat 9 years
Old February 5th, 2007, 09:58 AM

if it just recently hapenned get her spayed asap the vet will take you very quickly. If your dog is no breeding material then IT SHOULD NOT BE BRED and even if she were YOU ARE NOT A BREEDER and have no clue what that involves.
after you have her spayed make sure like erykah1310 said to look on petfinder.com and also make a lil trip to your local shelter just so you have an idea of what would have happened to most of your puppies when they would've eventually gotten there...
Old February 5th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Sounds like your girl needs to go to a vet's ASAP....

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old February 5th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Meaghan Edwards

Get her spayed for this reason . . .

http://www.brightlion.com/InHope/InHope_en.aspx

And these reasons, too:

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/breeding/breeder2.html
http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/breeding/breeder3.html

Breeding is VERY, very risky and expensive. Unless your dog has been health tested (OFA and whatnot, not just a simple vet check) and is an outstanding example of her breed, there should be no reason she should be bred.
Old February 5th, 2007, 03:58 PM

Wow, those two last links are definite eye openers.
Old February 5th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Senior Contributor

thanks for posting Mom of 2 Dogs....that was beautifull

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old February 6th, 2007, 01:54 AM
Meaghan Edwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by meb999 View Post
thanks for posting Mom of 2 Dogs....that was beautifull
Thank you
Old February 6th, 2007, 06:55 AM
Owned by goldens

Hopefully pregnant dog

I think those should be mandatory reads for anyone wanting to breed a cat or dog. Thanks.

Please spay your dog immediately.
Old February 6th, 2007, 06:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom_Of_Two_Dogs View Post
Thank you
I hope you don't mind...I just posted the link in another thread....

Old February 7th, 2007, 12:10 AM
Meaghan Edwards

No problem -- go for it
Old February 7th, 2007, 12:14 AM

Oh yeah, me too.
Old February 7th, 2007, 06:04 PM

Pregnant dog

Wow, what a lot of negativity for one post. I agree to some degree about spaying, certainly if you have no plans to breed your dogs, definatly if they are mixes. However; I was in a similar situation a few years ago, and believe me, it happens to everone at some point, even the best breeders. My husband and I breed 2 different breeds of dog, and a couple years ago our female of one breed had an "oops" with our male of the other. Because it was early in her cycle, we hoped that there were not going to be puppies, but 4 weeks later the vet confirmed my fears, and 4 weeks after that we had 8 puppies. We managed to sell all of the pups, they went to wonderful homes and turned out to be great dogs (my sister has one). The female that had this "accident" is now titled, has her health clearances, (eye, hip, thyroid) and is a great example of her breed, which is why we are currently using her for breeding. The father of this litter had multiple titles and was also a great dog, he is no longer with us.

As for Kawasaki6, no one has answered your questions, so I hope I can help. First how many days into her cycle was she? Did they actually tie? (become "stuck" together). You will not really be able to tell based on discharge, some stop all together once they have been bred, others continue as usual. Unfortunately there is no quick way to tell if she is pregnant, if you do not want to spay her (for future breeding) the best solution would be to wait. A vet should be able to tell in 4 weeks if there are puppies or not. There is a drug that you can give her, but I dont recommend it, it can cause future problems. I do suggest having her spayed if you do not plan to breed her, and like the others said, she should be a great example of her breed to do that.

Good luck, I wish you all the best, keep me posted.
M-E
Old February 7th, 2007, 06:07 PM

Quote:
and like the others said, she should be a great example of her breed to do that.
Just had to put some emphasis on that part.. That means CH's, obedience titles, working titles, health tests (eyes, hips, elbows, etc).
Old February 7th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Well negativity or not,my opinion is there are ENOUGH unwanted dogs and cats in this world,and way to many people breeding more.Have you seen your local shelter lately...
Old February 7th, 2007, 07:03 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom_Of_Two_Dogs View Post
Get her spayed for this reason . . .

http://www.brightlion.com/InHope/InHope_en.aspx

And these reasons, too:

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/breeding/breeder2.html
http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/breeding/breeder3.html

Breeding is VERY, very risky and expensive. Unless your dog has been health tested (OFA and whatnot, not just a simple vet check) and is an outstanding example of her breed, there should be no reason she should be bred.

Excellent links you posted.
Old February 7th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Senior Contributor

wow excellent excellemnt links
Logan - Rescued Husky cross
Aiden- Rescued husky cross
Old February 8th, 2007, 12:23 PM
NOT a senior member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaski6 View Post
my female dog {sandi} as just gone through standing for my male dog,
she is no longer interested in him, but this is my first time,there is reddy bloody watery discharge,is this normal,
If you do not know what is normal in this case, if something goes wrong when your girl delivers, do you feel confident that you can recognize it? I worry that your inexperience will be at the consequence of your poor female. Just another of the many reasons to spay and neuter.

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......
Old February 9th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_have_too_many View Post

As for Kawasaki6, no one has answered your questions, so I hope I can help. First how many days into her cycle was she? Did they actually tie? (become "stuck" together). You will not really be able to tell based on discharge, some stop all together once they have been bred, others continue as usual. Unfortunately there is no quick way to tell if she is pregnant, if you do not want to spay her (for future breeding) the best solution would be to wait. A vet should be able to tell in 4 weeks if there are puppies or not. There is a drug that you can give her, but I dont recommend it, it can cause future problems. I do suggest having her spayed if you do not plan to breed her, and like the others said, she should be a great example of her breed to do that.

Good luck, I wish you all the best, keep me posted.
M-E
With the millions of homeless dogs, I don't think we should be giving out advice on how to breed to someone who obviously has no clue what they're doing...

I guess now we know why 'you have too many'

Old February 9th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Senior Contributor

need help with

My thoughts exactly meb999. Reality check is in order rather than help with (hopefully) preg. dog.
Old February 9th, 2007, 09:00 PM

Need help with

I have been on many dog websites as well as SPCA sites how can we be giving advise on more breeding when there are so many unwanted and abused dogs already out there are we just crazy.
Old February 14th, 2007, 02:02 PM

Cool it

Hey all you out there who are so against breeding, I am not encouraging them, just answering their question, that is what they wanted. I am often curious, for those who have mixed rescues, you are awfully harsh on those who may have "oops" puppies, how do you suppose your beloved dogs came to be? If they do not choose to have the dogs fixed, for what ever reason (that is their business) I was simply giving other options. Dont get me wrong, I encourage spaying/neutering, but it just does not work in EVERY situation, yes for those who are just lazy about it, certainly, but we dont know the whole story. Maybe the breeder they got the dog from wanted it kept intact, for their own use down the road, maybe they want to show the dog. They dont even say if the dog is purebred or not.

I have too many because I choose to, not because I am careless if that is what you all think. Besides only 1 of our dogs is male and he is not a house dog, he is out in our kennel. I even had the cat that just showed up one day fixed, and any dog we own that is not going to be bred gets the same treatment. It is really my mother who thinks that I have too many.
Old February 14th, 2007, 02:06 PM

Quote:
how do you suppose your beloved dogs came to be?
I have mixed rescues because there are SO many of them. If there weren't any left, I would be jubilant. Nobody is breeding mixed breeds for the benefit of the dog.

From what you have said in other threads, I was getting the opinion that you were trying your best to be an ethical breeder, but encouraging people who really aren't breeding for the right reasons is counterproductive, IMO...
Old February 14th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Senior Contributor

" only 1 of our dogs is male and he is not a house dog, he is out in our kennel" I dont understand that comment,or maybe there is more to it,but from what it says sounds like he lives in the kennel and is not an inside dog,which is another thing i dont understand,what is the point of a pet if it is not gonna be an inside pet and part of the family????
Old February 14th, 2007, 02:37 PM
-

Wow , i have too many ; did you ever volunteer in rescues or spca or shelters ? You should go to a shelter on their "euthanize day", where good dogs get put down just because they are too many.
Old February 14th, 2007, 02:38 PM
-

[QUOTE=heidiho;373550what is the point of a pet if it is not gonna be an inside pet and part of the family????[/QUOTE]

Because some people use dogs for money, not because they care about them.
Closed Thread