Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 13th, 2004, 08:55 PM

I need some advice

I took Buddy, my 4 year old Golden Retriever to the corner park this afternoon for a walk. On our way into the park, he was on the leash when he saw two other smaller dogs. You know the script, he goes nuts barking ect. After checking with the other owners if their dogs were friendly, I let Buddy loose and he went up to the others dogs, sniffed and played with them. Great. But ..... someone whose back yard faced the park (there is a fence between his back yard and the park), well, he has two big dogs (I think that they are Bull Mastiffs, really cute.) Anyway, Buddy goes ballistic barking at both of them, and of course, they did the very same in return. :sad: It was just a lot of barking, but it got pretty noisy.
First question. Why does Buddy do this.
Next question: Any ideas of how I should be dealing with this? Because it got so noisy, I tired to sit Buddy down, get his attention, have him focus on me, and say "No!" ... But it didn't quite work. I finally got him away from the fence and we left the park. He was pretty wired!!
Buddy seems fine, when he is around other dogs, if he is off leash, otherwise he can sometimes get pretty crazy, just a lot of barking. He will bark the same if he sometimes sees a dog behind a fence. If off lease though, he will go up to the dog and be absolutely fine!!

Slightly embarrased !!!

Last edited by Dwight Byrd; November 13th, 2004 at 08:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old November 13th, 2004, 09:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Many dogs have leash/fence aggression. It comes from frustration or insecurity usually at not being able to get at the other dog.

You need to get control of Buddy BEFORE he goes ballistic and focusing on the other dogs, cause then he just can't hear you.

Make sure he is walking beside you, and not ranging out ahead of you, cause that gives him the impression that he must take control of the situation. You are the leader and the boss, and he must follow you. When you follow him it means that HE is the leader.

Get him in a heel, and if he even looks like he's thinking of lunging or going ballistic, give him a sharp "NO" and a quick correction to get him back heeling.
Let him know that you are in charge, and he will not act on his own. Just keep walking and don't hesitate.

He can have the opportunity during his walks to sniff around and pee, etc, but when YOU say so.
Old November 13th, 2004, 10:02 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Aggression is common in male dogs. It does not matter if they are neutered or not but less common in neutered males.
Face it, you have an aggressive dog. Dog parks are not for the two of you to be wandering about.
Smaller breeds do to tend to incite a riot with larger breeds. I like to call it "yo mommas" or a doggie fashioned finger....only our pets know what was said...and they can get riled!
It is better to avoid this type of situation.

My .02 cents worth.
Old November 13th, 2004, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karin
Aggression is common in male dogs. It does not matter if they are neutered or not but less common in neutered males.
Face it, you have an aggressive dog. Dog parks are not for the two of you to be wandering about.
Smaller breeds do to tend to incite a riot with larger breeds. I like to call it "yo mommas" or a doggie fashioned finger....only our pets know what was said...and they can get riled!
It is better to avoid this type of situation.

My .02 cents worth.

Another opinion is that the dog in question is just excitable around other dogs he can't go and see right away. Perhaps it isn't agression at all ...just excitability.

The initial poster also said the dog is fine when off leash with other dogs. So why should they avoid a dog park?!?!?!
Old November 14th, 2004, 09:38 AM
Senior Contributor

I disagree that the dog is aggressive. Buddy doesn't sound aggressive to me at all!! Brick is NOT aggressive one bit, he LOVES other dogs and people. When he reacts like Buddy did, it is out of pure excitement and glee to see and interact with others. Brick goes to an offleash park all the time, and we have never had any problems with him being "aggressive".

I also agree with Lucky that it is a control thing, and you need to get him under it before he starts going nutso!! Brick is 75 lbs and very strong - I am soooo glad he knows heel well enough to get him under control so he doesn't rip my arm off!!

If Buddy does that again, just redirect him away from the other dogs and keep going. This trick has saved my sockets several times. We may look silly turning around every 10 feet, but it gets the point across that I AM BOSS, not Brick, and he will calm himself down and fall back into heel position.

Obedience lessons were a God send!!!
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old November 14th, 2004, 10:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Susan Clothier has great advice for handling ON LEAD AGGRESSION.

Our reaction to it unwittingly encourages it. I've certainly done it myself.
Old November 14th, 2004, 11:21 AM

Thanks folks !

I appreciate the feedback. I would hate to avoid off leash areas for sure, because Buddy really seems to enjoy them. I will however work closely with him to make it clear that I, not he is the boss. I like to idea too of walking away with him and re-directing him every in the oposite direction every time he reacts.

Quenstion: Is there anyone in Toronto or Scarborough that you know of who can offer training to a 4 year old like Buddy?

Thanks too for the Tip Lucky
Old November 14th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Senior Contributor

WOW Lucky...that website link is awesome!! I learned a lot from the articles I read - makes complete and total sense, and I love their sense of humor!!!! Rude dogs and Fools - made me laugh!!!! I went to read one article and ended up reading almost all of them!!! Thanks!!!

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
Old November 14th, 2004, 01:59 PM

Great Website LuckY !

What a fantastic website !! very helpful. Thanks for the link Lucky
Old November 14th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Senior Contributor

I love Susan Clothier's articles! Don't know if this one was linked, but to see things from your dog's point of view, please read He justs wants to say "HI!
Old November 14th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Thats the article I read, that made me go "WOW"....very well written and very right on!!! I know I'm guilty of doing that, not so much anymore now that Brick has had training, but every so often, he is "rude"...LOL Crazy mutt!!!

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN: