Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old June 22nd, 2007, 08:25 AM

Wellness Fish and Sweet Potatoe

I think I have finally found a food that is a) available in my area and b) something that both my dogs LOVE!

I picked up a couple of sample packs of Wellness Fish and Sweet Potatoe yesterday and am feeding it as treats to see if the boys like it. Well, they are literally crying for more!

They have been on Eukanuba Fish and Potatoe for a while and I thought it was time for a change, even though they are doing OK on Euk.

Hopefully this is a good food for them!

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 04:26 PM

I like Wellness better than Euk, it's an okay food. Euk has "animal fat" in their fish & potato which is one of those "try to avoid" ingredients, and I find it odd they would put it in an allergy formulation food since it's just "animal" and not specified means the fat could be from any number of animal sources...not good if you are trying to avoid specific animal-based ingredients. Wellness doesn't have animal fat. There are other fish-based foods out there that I like better, but Wellness isn't bad.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 08:46 PM
Mom to a Hairy Little Son

I agree that Wellness isn't bad. But, from personal experience, it appears quite a number of dogs do not tolerate it well and end up with chronically soft stool.
Old July 5th, 2007, 08:29 PM

So....for the past couple of weeks I have been thinking of changing the boys diet because they MUST be bored with the same old stuff every day!

I decided on the Wellness Fish and Sweet Potatoe. I asked for Orijen but they don't have it anywhere near my work or home. They gave me a couple of sample packs and the boys went CRAZY!!! So, today I bought a bag and put in about 1/4 cup with their Euk Fish and Potatoe....Well....you would think they hadn't eaten in a week!!!!!!!

They both loved it and I will keep trying to switch them over. Hopefully no upset tummys!

If there are going to be problems, how long will it take before I "see" the problem (soft poops?)

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old July 5th, 2007, 08:50 PM

Within 12 hours or so. Some pups have had problems with loose stool on Wellness however my 2 are doing quite nicely on it. They've tried Fish & Sweet Potato, Lamb Super Mix, & Chicken Super Mix. Rose has a sensitive stomach but she seems to tolerate Wellness with no probs. Transition slowly and maybe add digestive enzymes or probiotics. With any dog food it's what your pup does best on that is the best food. Wellness has been described as grainy but my pups alternate between raw & kibble.
Old July 6th, 2007, 11:05 AM

I used to feed Wellness Lamb Super 5 and it used to be great but when Wellness changed owners they also changed their recipe and it was noticeable to me with the dogs so after a few months of being on it I finally changed and will never go back. I also noticed that OC would have very soft stooles during the heat of the summer which at first I attributed to simply the heat but now, since having been on the new diet (rotating between Orijen, Innova Evo and Innova RM) regardless of heat waves that have been coming through his stooles are nice and firm.
Old July 6th, 2007, 06:54 PM
-

Glad to hear Harley and Buster both like the Wellness Fish and Sweet Potato. Let us know how they do on it.