Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old July 19th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Senior Contributor

It may have been mentioned here, and I know I read it in Ancient Girls thread in the OT forum, but someone said (sorry I can't remember who) that the NFL probably won't even sanction him !!!!

Shouldn't they have a rule against allowing criminals to play? I haven't read or watched any news today because yesterday I was reading a news website and there was a story about a man in Florida who had a fight with his girlfriend and threw her in the trunk of his car and then tossed her 5 year old daughter to alligators to be eaten alive.

I'm just sick over all of this !!!

My husband came home upset over the Vick case and was telling me some details and I made him stop. And I haven't read the articles yet either. I just need to collect myself or something. You know when you just feel like you can't take it ?????
Old July 19th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Senior Contributor

If you haven't read the article, don't, I found it disturbing and wish I hadn't read it. I did read that the NFL said they wouldn't do anything until there was a ruling.

Basically, they want to make their money and unless they haul this guy off to jail he's apparently still going to play on their team.

It's disgusting! It's to the point where you are better off living in ignorance and not reading any news!
Old July 19th, 2007, 07:25 PM

I just saw another news report on this today where one of the reporters made a disturbing comment...

Please read here:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=42772

Thanks.
Old July 19th, 2007, 07:31 PM
Senior Contributor

What a total moron! Siriously, I just don't get it. What is it with these people?

So its okay to treat them like that because they are animals?

Idiot.
Old July 19th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Senior Contributor

I said the same thing,i need to go a week with no newspaper,no internet news & no tv news,it is just to much to take anymore,i am overloading myself to the point of losing it...I am thankful to live on an island,now i just need to start living the island way.
Old July 19th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Senior Contributor

You've got the right idea.

I'm going to the book release tomorrow, and I'll enjoy Order before. Then Saturday my dad is helping me move some furniture to my new place, and then I'm on lock down for the rest of the weekend.

I can't take any more news like this. It's like people don't care anymore.
Old July 19th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Senior Contributor

I dont think they do,except for $$$$$$.That is what it seems to be about.I cant wait to get home and give roxy a huge kiss and hug...
Old July 19th, 2007, 08:09 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc123 View Post
It is disgusting! Here is a link to the Humane society's petition to get Michael Vick suspended, if you are interested.

https://community.hsus.org/campaign/...=LdNiqiM1Nbs8W

Diane
If this doesn't work , I don't know what will ! I got this link by 4 different people / groups only this afternoon. I send it to as many people I could. So this is BIG , sure hope it works.
Old July 19th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks frenchy, I have sent to some also.....hope it does help!
Old July 19th, 2007, 08:19 PM
-

Quote:
Thanks frenchy, I have sent to some also.....hope it does help!
It's all over the internet , I really think it will make a difference
Old July 19th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Senior Contributor

So I sent an email to that reporter. What an idiot. Here's what was said:

This is my original email to this tool:

“The only thing about the Michael Vick case that wouldn't make people cringe is that it involves pit bulls which people do not want to be around.”

Are these your words? So in your mind its okay for that animal, and I refer to Vick when I say this, to do what he did simply because they were against a dog breed some people are afraid of?

Those dogs aren’t violent because it is inbred in them; they are violent because ignorant people, you obviously being one of them, don’t understand how to treat an animal.

I think the people who need to have thrown water on and electrocuted is people who feel its okay to treat a defenseless creature in that manner. Yes, I called a Pit Bull defenseless, because they are the ones being tied up, beaten, being made to fight and having to live with all kind of atrocities.

What if it were a child being treated like that? Would you feel differently?

Okay, here is his response:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Nuria -- Figured I would save us both some time and send along an earlier response that I sent to someone who shares your feelings. Can't say I agree, but that's what makes the world go 'round. Have to say, anyone with a choice would not live next to someone who owned a pit bull. Especially if they have children. Just the way it is....kpd

----- Forwarded by Kevin P Dupont/Editorial/GLOBE on 07/19/2007 08:59 PM -----

Kevin P Dupont/Editorial/GLOBE

07/19/2007 08:27 PM
To
Deanna <>

cc
arcticsnowdogs@comcast.net

Subject
Re: Kevin Duponts comment on Pit Bulls during 10.0 was callous.Link

Deanna -- Though I understand your point and sentiment, and appreciate your writing, I'll stand by my point. If I were to stand on a street corner with a pit bull on leash, I am willing to bet passersby would be repulsed, shocked, and steer clear of said street corner. MOST people are pit pull-phobic. And based on countless news reports, which too often detail the the bloody work of these pets, I don't blame them.
However, I maintain you have a right to find a place in your heart for your pit bull of choice. But frankly, I like my cavalier spaniel much better.
Again, thanks for taking the time to write.

-- kevin

Deanna <t>

07/19/2007 08:00 PM
To
dupont@globe.com

cc
ryan@globe.com

Subject
Kevin Duponts comment on Pit Bulls during 10.0 was callous.

He sent me his response to someone else. Wow, what a journalist. Here is the last thing I said to him.

Obviously you think its all right for this man to have treated those animals the way he did. There is no excuse to think that way, whether you are afraid of that dog or not.

I feel sorry for people like you. And this concludes my conversation. I don’t want to spend any more time on a person like you.

I then proceeded to block him from my email, because quite frankly, I'm not going to waste my time with this idiot. He doesn't care.
Old July 19th, 2007, 08:28 PM
-

Wow , they both suck !
Old July 19th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Senior Contributor

People are that way cause of people like this **ddamn football player that takes them and breeds them to be this way.I am done,i have had about all i can take,i sent out emails to everyone i know,sent my letter to the hs.And now i read this and want to email this ass hole,and i just dont have it in me to handle any more frustration.I dont think i have ever been to this point of disgust with the human race.
Old July 19th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree, I'm almost ashamed to be part of the human race.

But I've done what I was going to do. Right now, I'm going to keep packing, and play with my kitties.
Old July 19th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Senior Contributor

You said it..Goodnight to all,roxy here i come.
Old July 19th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Senior Contributor

ancientgirl, don't be ashamed of being part of the human race, all humans aren't like them! Look at all these pets.ca members who are sick from this....we are human...and good ones.

Don't consider yourself part of those that don't care for other beings.

Diane
Old July 19th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
ancientgirl, don't be ashamed of being part of the human race, all humans aren't like them! Look at all these pets.ca members who are sick from this....we are human...and good ones.

Don't consider yourself part of those that don't care for other beings.

Diane
You are right. There are a lot of us out there, who do our part to help keep our little ones safe and loved. It's nice to be among a group of people who find this kind of behavior beyond horrible.
Old July 19th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Senior Contributor

amen to that!
Old July 19th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Swift Tribe

well before you all go off and hate the entire human race for the evil vile deeds of a few people.... remember, blame the deed, not the breed. there are so many evil and terrible people in the world but if your only source of information abotu the rest of the world is the news than you need to do some serious reevaluation of your media.

go read through your encyclopedias, go get lost in Wiki, go on vacation.... find a local group of dog walkers or stay at home moms... you cant blame a handful of people because your reclusive habits keep you away from the POSITIVE side of humanity.

there are good people in the world, there are MORE good people in the world than bad ones.

remember this when it gets to be too much. i have to try really hard to not freak out and buy my goat hut in Wyoming to live with my cats, dog and some chickens and a donkey. i NEED to know the good things.... and it sounds like you guys do too. go read through Jaidas thread.

-ashley
Old July 19th, 2007, 09:26 PM

ancient,

That was his reply to me!

I am Deanna.

It looks like he added an extra jab to the reply that he sent to you... Heck, now that I know how he really feels, maybe I will send along my address so he never decides to move into my neighborhood...

Thank you for taking the time to write.

I also put a link in the pit bull area as the podcast for the show should be up tomorrow so that you can see or hear (depending on which you prefer, if you do) what he said.

Thanks again!
Old July 19th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Well, this lowlife has been getting some nasty press all over, every station I've heard or watched has been slamming this guy. The NFL and the Falcons may say he can keep playing, but if they get enough heat about it, won't be in their best interest to let him play. Too bad whether he plays or not, a multi millionaire he'll be. :frown:

Cindy
Old July 19th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Senior Contributor

I just signed a petition against this piece of crap. They had something on TV tonight on how he had some of those dogs killed. Drowning, hanging, shot and in one instance, had the dog wet down and electrocuted. What a useless waste of human skin.....
Old July 20th, 2007, 12:38 AM
-

Rick and Diane.....thank you both for posting the links. I've signed both and forwarded to everyone I know.
Old July 20th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Chances Mom, that guy was a total jerk. I just blocked him from my email. I'm not interested in his warped reasoning.

And everyone else, you are right. There are good people out there, and I can't throw the baby out with the bathwater as they say.
Old July 20th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Senior Contributor

I watched the news last night with my hands ready to cover my eyes (which they did, several times). Am I right that this all happened at his house, in his 'compound', under his direction? This man should be in a CELL somewhere.
Old July 20th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
“The only thing about the Michael Vick case that wouldn't make people cringe is that it involves pit bulls which people do not want to be around.” - Kevin Paul Dupont

Minor sidebar note about Dupont . . . . hockey fans might be familiar with him as he's in the Hockey Hall Of Fame for his quarter century of coverage of the Boston Bruins of the NHL. . . . . great columnist on the hockey side, maybe not so bright on the topic of dogs.

Here's a more sympathetic Bob Ryan column in the Boston Globe today:

http://www.boston.com/sports/article...ons_sickening/

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old July 20th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Senior Contributor

Excellent article. I'm glad this guy put had the nuts to openly call this situation out and not try to justify it by saying its only pit bulls and most people would be wary of them anyway.

Thanks for posting this. It made me feel good to know that there are voices out there, loud voices calling for punishment.

And six years is too short a time. I'm wondering, I know child molesters are not treated well in prison. I've heard this on every show I've seen about prison documentaries. I wonder if they feel the same way about people who are cruel to defenseless animals. You know, I sure hope they do!
Old July 20th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Done. We must speak out. Staying silent will not change anything!!
Old July 20th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Senior Contributor

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/20/vic...ing/index.html
Old July 20th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Senior Contributor

He's toxic waste now.

It's just a matter of when the most opportune moments arrive for business decisions to be made at the NFL, Atlanta Falcons and NIKE.

For the Falcons and NIKE, you can see there is some strategy involved in extricating themselves from their relationships at the least amount of cost . . . . the Falcons in particular have to be wary of crippling their team and hurting their fans with a long-term salary cap hit.

For the NFL, there is no excuse. The commissioner has wide discretionary powers in this and should suspend Vick immediately. It's a terrible PR decision by the commissioner not to have done so already.

NIKE is likely waiting for a conviction to give them the legal grounds to say goodbye without risk of blowback. . . . . but they'll suffer a boycott and potential long damage as their current risk.

Whatever . . . . he's done with all of those organizations eventually.

It would be fair to say that torturing dogs wasn't worth what it's going to cost him.

Being a Canadian and not being an NFL fan - if they don't wear skates I'm probably not paying attention - I actually hadn't heard of the guy before this . . . . . my interest lies in the animal welfare issues and the pyschology of the whole thing, why he did it, how people are reacting, how organizations are reacting. It's all very interesting . . . . . and heart-breaking.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca