Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior dogs

Old January 20th, 2014, 12:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Urinary incontinence

So Halo has been having issues with urinating in her sleep. She is 13 and a half now. We did a urine sample and she had an infection so she was on a course of antibiotics and it didn't clear it up so they changed it and ran a second course of antibiotics and also put her on estrogen pills (Stilbesterol).

She took the estrogen pills for 6 days and then was supposed to be one every 5 days, but she was still having accidents, so the vet bumped her up to one every three days. I am going to give her four days straight though as she is still peeing.

Any ideas what else it could be if this course of action doesn't work? She also has a yeast infection in one ear and on her back. Poor girl. Vet thinks it's from the antibiotics. She had an antifungal bath today, then has to have her back washed every three days and ear drops every night. When this is done she'll have a geriatric blood panel done again, it's been about a year and a half since she had one.

Just looking for ideas as to what could be going on. Tks all.
Old January 20th, 2014, 06:08 AM
Senior Contributor

I would want to rule out lyme disease if there is any chance there has been exposure in the last many years (even 5 years or more, as it can reactivate with the stress of age).

You might try some d-mannose, which makes it so the bacteria can't adhere to the wall of the bladder. Some oral probiotics should help too.
Old January 20th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Senior Contributor

MaxaLisa thanks for the response. Pretty sure it's not lyme disease, this old girl isn't exposed to the elements very often, and has never had a tick that we're aware of. Will have to look up d-mannose, never heard of it. I will give her a probiotic now that you mention it, hadn't got that far after all her drugs yet.
Old January 20th, 2014, 12:59 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Sometimes they don't respond to the stilbesterol, but will respond to something like Proin (phenylpropanolamine). So if it persists, you might want to change meds and see if it helps. Give Halo a big hug for me!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 20th, 2014, 03:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Hazel, just what I needed to know. Had not heard of Proin, but will talk to the vet about it within the week if another few days straight of the Stilbesterol doesn't work.

Halo has been hugged and she much appreciated it.
Old January 20th, 2014, 04:02 PM
Senior Contributor

I wish I had some advice to give you , but you could give Halo a hug from me too . Maybe some yogurt or probiotics would help with yeast infection?
Old January 21st, 2014, 12:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Barkingdog, Halo has been duly hugged!
Old January 21st, 2014, 01:17 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

The Stilbesterol working yet?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 22nd, 2014, 09:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Poor girl, multiple whammies all at once. Stilbestrol did work for our ESS but an earlier bout of urinary leaking was diagnosed for her as too alkaline urine. Apparently it burns, they try not to pee because it hurts, then they've held on so long they just can't anymore. Whisper's "accidents" were more when she moved though, not overnight. My understanding is this is not quite the same as a UTI but it was a long time ago. Some pills (sorry, of course I don't remember what) fixed her up.

Is there any possibility of a back injury? Fecal incontinence in my other girl was due either to injury in her back or to the meds she was on for pain control, we were never sure which. I think it can affect urinary control as well. She had invertebral disk disease and spinal spondylosis which were diagnosed after an episode of acute pain.

Good luck.
Old February 9th, 2014, 11:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi Hazel and Longblades, sorry for so long getting back in here. We've played with the Stilbesterol dosage and may or may not have come up with the best plan for now, but it's not perfect. Of course since all this started we have had the Cushing's diagnosis too, which causes extreme thirst and lots of urination, so I'm sure the leakage is from mixed causes. We are going to put her on Proin also (can't remember the whole long name), but the vet didn't have that in stock so she'll get it next week.

Longblades, no back injury for her. Unless she hurt it rolling over in bed.

Hopefully next week we'll start her on something for the Cushing's and that may help temper the thirst/urination a bit.