Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 17th, 2005, 11:06 PM

Is my cat sick

I have two cats. One is 5 and the other is 3. They have been living together for 3 years in relative happiness. Then about 6 weeks ago the younger one got a urinary infection and had to go on antibiotics. The next day my older cat started hissing at the younger one on the antibiotics. Unfortunately my wife and I then had to go to England for 2 weeks and leave the cats with my mother. At my mother's they seemed friendly for the first week and then the hissing started again. (The younger cat was off the antibiotics by this point). We then brought the cats home and they were friendly towards each other for about a week. For the last two weeks the cats have been hissing and growling at each other. My wife and I have also noticed that the older cat has thrown up 4 times in the last week. I know cats throw up some times but this seems a bit much. Can all of this be because one of the cats is sick is there another reason?
Old January 17th, 2005, 11:59 PM
~Cat Servent~

I think for that answer you will have to take the older cat in for a check-up. Four times in one week is definitely something to be concerned about. Is your kitty throwing up hair? or food? or clear liquid?

If it is just food it can be that there is a particularly nasty hairball blocking his guts up, and if it is clear liquid it can be a throat infection or the like. If one cat had an infection recently I would take the other in just to be sure nothing was passed between them. I know that if one is sick around here, they are usually not alone.

I know that my girls get very cranky when they are workin on a furball, but I would go see your vet and get their opinion.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old January 18th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Sudden change in behaviour is usually a sign something is wrong,add to that vomiting and a vet-visit is a must..
My cats vomit on occasion,they sometimes chow down to fast or there is a little hair-ball,but together with hissing and growling I think something is making your cat uncomfortable,hopefully something easily fixed.