Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old May 29th, 2011, 08:04 AM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

Baby Birds

Has anyone noticed that the baby birds are on the ground and not really able to fly yet.

We have had quite a few and of course Kesha has found them. Luckily she just wants to check them out and as long as they stay still she will not do anything. We do not let her out in the yard alone right now because we do not know if there are any babies on the lawn.

I was driving down the road and there was a baby bird in my lane and it did not move. Luckily there wasn't anyone coming in the other lane so I was able to avoid the baby but I looked in my rear view mirror and it was still on the road. I have never experienced this before. I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed this happening

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old May 29th, 2011, 08:44 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Right after baby birds fledge, they're unable to fly very strongly...sometimes they can only hop around. It takes a few days for them to strengthen their wings and get the hang of flying and avoiding predators--it's a very dangerous few days for them. Normally, the adults will try to get the babies to follow them to some sort of cover, but if they're in the backyard, dogs can be a danger. I always keep close watch on our yard and any nests I know of to make sure I don't accidentally sacrifice any youngsters to the dogs Right now we have a robin nesting in the side yard. The eggs should be about at the hatching stage, so in about two weeks, I'll have to be very careful about searching for robin fledglings...

Although it's worrisome to see them in the middle of the yard or on the road, it probably means that this has been a good hatch year! The more chicks fledged, the more likely you are to see them.

But holy catz! It sounds like you're way ahead of us!! We've been extremely cool for this time of year and all our nesting has been delayed.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 29th, 2011, 09:17 AM
Senior Contributor

I usually see a few fledglings too every summer,but not yet..still we always check the backyard before letting the cats out.
I hate seeing a baby-bird on the ground,I see the parents feeding them,but will they ever be able to fly off the ground??
Is it safe to put them on a branch instead??
Old May 29th, 2011, 11:29 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

If you can approach and get them unharmed to a nearby bush, that's probably safe. I do it often when I'm policing the yard after the first fledglings appear. Be prepared to find baby back on the ground soon, though. I'll only move them if they're in immediate danger from dogs or squirrels.

If they do oblige you by staying in the bush there's no worries about Mom and Dad finding them. The parents expect the kids to move around some and they locate them pretty easily.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 29th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Senior Contributor

go close to the baby and you'll hear the mom call out to it, our yard is filled with them this weekend, 7 robins that we counted, belonging to two moms, now is the time to make sure all your buckets, empty flowerpots etc are empty of water, I was watching one robin baby yesterday, it could fly a bit, went to land on the bucket I was using to water with and he fell in, man did I fly across the yard, scooped him off all the while avoiding mom bomb diving me *L* off he went.
Old May 29th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Senior Contributor

I think the baby-Robins are most fearless,usually when I see them,they are a good size and can fly,but not good enough to avoid a jumping cat.
So,you saved a little life again