Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Books

Old December 24th, 2007, 09:15 AM
~Cat Servent~

Top 5

Well someone in the top 5 movies suggested this and I agree... so what are your top five books?

Mine...

1. The Source by James A Mitchener
2. Decipher by Stel Pavlou (read this 2x already, really good historical/science fiction)
3. The Kent Family Chronicles by John Jakes
4. Atlantis Found by Clive Cussler
5. The Left Behind Series (sans the final book) by LaHaye/Jenkins

I would include the Bible as it is the most known and widely read story in history, but it's a little bigger and wholey controversial than the average novel!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old December 24th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Senior Contributor

Every Other Day Diet by Jon Benson and Janice Hauser
Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle by Tom Venuto
A to Z Fitness' Total Body Makeover by 11 great trainers
The Big Fat Health and Fitness Lie by Craig Pepin-Donat
Fitness For You by ... me

Heheheh, if you guys want links to these books, let me know, I'll PM you

Other books ... all Agatha Christies!!!
Old December 24th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Flyball Mom

OMG These are way too hard.

Um.... Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley
The Incarnations of Immortality series by Piers Anthony
The DaVinci Code by Dan Brown
The Witches of Eilianan series by Kate Forsyth
All of Carol Berg's books

Oh and let's not forget the Harry Potter books.

Yeah, I like fantasy!

www.dogster.com/dogs/563959

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me

Last edited by Byrd; December 24th, 2007 at 06:40 PM.
Old December 24th, 2007, 09:41 PM

My top 6 (sorry -- couldn't narrow it down):

Life of Pi
Catch 22
The Sirens of Titan (Kurt Vonnegut)
Choke (Chuck Palahniuk)
A Year in the Merde and its sequel Merde Actually (Hilarious)
anything by Marian Keyes

I met Chuck Palahniuk at one of his readings and he was as entertaining as his books!!

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old December 24th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh my - I don't know if I can narrw it to 5 but I;; try.

Love Story - first movie I ever bought, both as a VHS and a DVD

That Darn Cat - original

Homeward Bound tho I prefer the book -The Incredible Journey (original. not the new one)

(Not the 2nd two have Siamese cats in them)

You'e Got Mail

Reds - tho it veers off from some of the reality

Exodus even if the book is also not accurate historically.

(I like old fashioned movies to be honest and feel good ones. I also like historical or biographical ones)

Offtopic, I was very disappointed with the movie about Black September (forget the name of the movie) since it too left out way too much and if one had not lived through that and knew some things, I do think you'd miss some of the point. you'd get the them, yes but it misses some key areas. More Golda would have been good. I lived on a kibbutz in Israel not too long after this plan had been hatched and so for me, it's possible that this movie never can be made into two hours.
Old December 24th, 2007, 11:32 PM

CyberKitten -- are you talking about 'Munich'?

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old January 2nd, 2008, 12:35 PM
Senior Contributor

I've read the 2000 pages of the "Red Mars," "Green Mars," "Blue Mars" series three times, so I must like it!!! It's definitely not for everyone, but it's a place for me to get mindlessly lost in a very intellectual exercise. If that sounds contradictory, I can't help but describe it that way, since the big turnoff for many people would be the subjects of geography, philosophy, government, etc that will come up in depth in this series. Kim Stanley Robinson, in real life and in his other work, is a bit of a hopeless left-wing dreamer. In fact, if your politics are NDP, you'd love this author in general.

"The Boys Of Summer," by Roger Kahn. If you look at some of the praise for this book from reviewers, you'll see their general opinion is that this is a literary classic beyond just being a book about baseball. It's an astonishing testament to a craftsman at the top of his game with the English language. Kahn was a beat writer for a New York newspaper when assigned to cover the Brooklyn Dodgers in the 1950's. Later, in the 60's, he tracks down those Dodgers both still active and retired. This is really a book about the cycle of life and, I found out, best appreciated and read if you're in your early 40's and beyond. If you're in your 20's reading this book, there's a good chance you're just not going to "get it." I've pulled this out a number of times on summer days and laid under the brolly in another world.

"The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz" - Mordecai Richler - another book best read in your 40's and beyond. You'll laugh your butt off at the sheer assinine audacity and mendacity of the dreams and plans of a young man getting his way in life. If you're in your 20's reading this, however, you might not see what's so funny. Another book that I've read a number of times, in fact, one you can open just about anywhere and have a good time.

"East Of Eden" - John Steinbeck. I could probably include a number of Steinbeck books like "Cannery Row" and "Of Mice and Men" but "East of Eden," for the sheer deliniation of good and evil in it's characters, plus the formation of their stories, is remarkable. Love it. Carol and I were in the Salinas Valley in California a few months ago. Steinbeck himself was a resented figure in the area as his characters were not entirely flattering of the local citizenry.

"Gone With The Wind" - I took this with me when I bicycled in 1980, through Mt. St. Helen's volcanic ash, from southern Alberta, BC, down into Idaho and Montana and back home, through three weeks on $300, all the money I had in the world. And I periodically pull it out and go through it again. Definitely a sympathetic look at the racist slave regime of the southerneastern USA, the author reflecting on a day gone by, but also with a strong woman character that might have been uncharacteristic of the age.

I love Agatha Christie (Hercule Poirot) and murder mysteries but also space opera type novels (the Saga Of Seven Suns series, the classic Foundation series by Asimov, etc) as well. I have the collected novels and short stories of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes which is also interesting reading.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Last edited by Rick C; January 2nd, 2008 at 12:39 PM.
Old January 7th, 2008, 04:32 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

It's hard to pick just 5...I read a book a week while on the train to and from work....I mite list by author or series....

1. James Patterson - I love anything he writes...off hand, all 4 of the Women's Murder Club...and all the Alex Cross series books...
2. Anne Rule - I LOVE true crime books, ya, a little weird, but anything about serial killers really reals me in.
3. The Harry Potter books, honestly, I loved them all.
4. A Million Little Pieces and My Friend Lenord - both were very good dispite his whole streching the truth...fiction or nonfiction, very good.
5. Odd Thomas by Dean Kootz, I like Dean alot. Ghosts and hauntings - Love them!

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)