Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old June 20th, 2009, 03:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Bina,I was thinking so too,but don't know enough about baby-pigeons.
Old June 20th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

Oh no, not straight to seed - I want to keep a small dish of seed and water in there, also with supplimenting hand feeding peas and corn as well as bottle feeding the formula to help them stay hidrated (and get all the nutrition they need). I remember reading that hand reared babies stay on formula and hand feeding longer than bio-parent fed babies I just want the best for them, and if they need hand feeding for a bit longer, thats fine too (I think it was the same with bottle baby kittens).

They aren't feeding as often now. They eat probably 3 times a day (veggies & bottle in AM, veggies and water around mid afternoon, and veggies & bottle before bedtime).

On a seriously happy note, last night I was feeding the babies while watching a movie. I put Ozzy onto the couch beside me, so I could feed Diva without him pecking her head, lol. Well, he walked over the couch, up onto me, and right over to my face (squeaked a little), then down to my right hand. He settled right down and cuddled! He closed his eyes any snoozed a bit. After about 10 mins he got up and hopped into the bowl with Diva =D He did the same thing this morning, he wanted cuddles =D He's also learning that "Open" means to open his mouth, so makes it easier to pop his food in there

Ok, more pics today! Diva and Ozzy after breakie
Attached Images

Old June 21st, 2009, 07:39 AM
Senior Contributor

Awww TT,that's so cute,you certainly seem to know what you are doing
What is that they say about bird-brainssometimes I think,even with a small brain,they are smarter than some people
Old June 21st, 2009, 12:45 PM
Senior Contributor

I cannot believe how fast they are growing, Im enjoying this thread so much!!! thanks
Old June 21st, 2009, 01:43 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

Here are my babies today They are flapping their wings a lot more now, and are gripping very well with their feet. Diva is starting to enjoy cuddles more, becoming more calm when I hold her close to me Ozzy is still the little cool dude

I also did some reading about when pigeons are weaned onto pellets/veggies/w.h.y. One guy said that he gets a lot of flack from other pigeon keepers as he will continue to hand feed a piji until nearly a month or older. Most keepers apparently wean at 18 days, however this guy studied his birds and they did not eat anything in 24 hours of having pelleted food available (and his birds were 25 days old). So, I've decided to just continue the bottle feeding until I am feeling sure they can start eating more solid food.

Last night I used my (not often used) food processor and blended together about a cup of frozen veggies (peas, corn, carots, green beans & lima beans), 1 tsp flax, 1/2 - 3/4 cup of plain oatmeal (quick oats), 1 cup of vegan baby pablum. Once this was well blended and mushy, I added bewtween 1/2 - 3/4 cup of hot water, and blended again. Once well mixed I poured it into a bowl and let it sit for 1/2 hour (to let the oats absorb all the liquid they want). I double checked the thickness, the filled the cleaned water bottle, and set the bottle into a jug of hot water to warm the mush. They both went nuts for it, and I think they like that more than the solid veggies (well, I sure do, I know they won't choke on the soft stuff and it won't take too long to digest).

Anyways, onto pics! First two are Ozzy. Diva was in no mood for photos, she was a bit grumpy. Last is the two of them after breakie, they were cuddled and ready for a snooze
Attached Images

Old June 21st, 2009, 04:01 PM
Senior Contributor

TT,I too love to see your pics and learn how to take care of a baby-pigeon should the need ever arise.
I am not sure where all of"my"Pigeons go after feeding here,would love to know,I never see any young ones.
Old June 21st, 2009, 06:07 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

Chico, you will never see baby pigeons, lol. I never understood that joke/comment (something about baby pigeons anyways), but I've learned that because pigeons roost higher up, ledges of buildings or rooftops. Pigeons are usually fully feathered by the age of 20-23 days, and start flying at about 35 days. They can stay with their parents until about 60 days. By the time they leave the nest, they are fully fledged and look just like their parents That's why you will never see a baby pigeon

But they are cute and adorable, aren't they?!? The little boogers have stolen my heart, seriously. Thing is, I've wanted to have pigeons for many many years. I could never have them until now It's funny how the universe works, lol!

On a side note, anyone interested in keeping pigeons, I've read that feral rock pigeons (they grey ones with pretty colors you see in the city), their lifespan is about 3-5 years in the wild. In captivity, it's 15+ years It's deffinitely a commitment!
Old June 22nd, 2009, 06:38 AM
Senior Contributor

TT,thank's for the lesson
I have several Pigeons with beautiful colors,a couple are pure white,others white with grey,a couple are taupe,one who is blackish,then the regular ones of course.
Attached Images

Old June 23rd, 2009, 03:26 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

Chico, you have a beautiful flock visiting you!!

Sorry for the lack up updates yesterday. My camera batteries died, so I struggled to get any photos, lol.

Anyways, here are pics from today: Diva & Ozzy after breakfast, Ozzy showing off his good looks , after breakie & cuddles with Mom, ready for a nap!
Attached Images

Old June 23rd, 2009, 03:32 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

They now have the run of the big cage. They no longer stay in the "nesting" bowl. They walk around, play with some of the toys (jingle balls & bells), have water and a stuffy to snuggle with. They are flapping like crazy and have good wing strength! They are now about 23 days old, give or take. They are eating a ton of food now (oatmeal & veggies, raisins & some copped fruit). Tomorrow we'll pick up bird seed, and will start to give them some seeds. We'll see how that goes Photo below shows the kids snuggled in their big home
Attached Images

Old June 23rd, 2009, 04:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Awww TT they are sweet,it must be so exciting to watch them grow.
To most people Pigeons are pests,but who are they to call an animal/bird a pest,I know a lot of people who are pests,my Pigeons are beautiful
Old June 23rd, 2009, 05:34 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

I have always loved pigeons When I was a young child, my best friend's family had an aviary in their back yard. Plenty of pigeons, lots of cooing I had always wanted to have my own (though I settled for budgies, lol). I don't think I could give up my boogers now, I am too attached (never mind they think I am Momma - Diva keeps trying to eat from my mouth, lol!). I think people just get caught up in so much material crap that they forget about the most beautiful things - the wildlife around us No matter where you are, there are beautiful things, I just wish more people could appreciate them
Old June 23rd, 2009, 09:31 PM
You can call me DOG!

It's amazing how Ozzy & Diva have found comfort. They look very content and I have to commend you for taking them in and giving them a home.

I've loved all the pictures and stories. If anyone every has a question about how to raise pigeons, this would be the thread to turn to.

Way to go TwinTails! You've done an excellent job keeping this thread alive and knowledgeable.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old June 23rd, 2009, 09:58 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

Aww Thank you I consider myself to be the lucky one to have the privilege to know these babies. They are amazing creatures, and I am eternally greatful that the universe saw that I be the one to take them in It's amazing how loving these guys are! I actually made a bird diaper last night. It's too big for them as babies, but they will be able to wear it in a few days (at the rate they are growing, that is!). Then they will be able to wander around more outside of their cage *excited*. I just have to make a second one now, and some extras for in between washes
Old June 24th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

New pictures! First Ozzy is showing off his beautiful plumage - the purple is devine! Ozzy on the left, Diva giving him a kiss Flapping their wings to show off their blue bars and new feathers.

This was right after their first meal of brown rice, veggies and raisins. They loved it even more than oatmeal! So, this will be their main meal now. They are starting to need more heavy food, the lighter stuff goes through them too fast, so more substance, more often.

On a sad note, our income has decreased by half :sad: It's really tight now and I am not sure how we will make it through the month. The animals will be fed though, lol!

Anyways, I am off for now, going to relax a bit and watch a movie
Attached Images

Old June 24th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Senior Contributor

They're growing so fast!

Sorry about the income cut. This economy has to get better soon.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old June 24th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

Thanks AG! I think we'll be ok, we shoudl be getting our disability status upgraded by the end of July
Old June 25th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG,how they change from day to day
They are starting to look like Pigeons..
Sorry about your financial situation,hopefully it'll get better
Old June 25th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Senior Contributor

I am really amazed that they are surviving. You may just have found your calling. What a difference you have made to these little ones. At the same time you are educating even myself about how wonderful people really are.

I am so completely impressed. Thank you for what you are doing!

As for your financial situation - I have maybe an idea in regards to the animals. I foster and it is starting to take a toll on me financially. I do not feed the food that is provided by the rescue so I must buy it myself. The food store where I purchase for my personal pets and fosters know how much I spend weekly or bi-weekly. I thought I would just ask if they had any food discounted due to expiry date for my fosters. He said that he could do better than that - and gave me a large bag of Natural Balance for dogs and pups. I was astonished and he replied, 'if you don't ask, you will not get'. He also said that times are hard for people, and if he can help he will. Crazy!!!!

Also, I do know that some SPCAs or Shelters are helping with food as well. The economy is resulting in animals suffering (and people too) so they have programs where they will assist with donating some pet food. I know how difficult it is sometimes to ask for help - but it's out there. You are doing your payback my dear friend - now let someone help you where they can. You can always payback somewhere else.

Last edited by BenMax; June 25th, 2009 at 07:35 AM.
Old June 25th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

Thanks you guys, I will see if I can find someone willing to donate some seed

Here are a few pics - last night I tried bird diapers on the birds. As you can see, Ozzy simply refused to wear his! Diva was fine with it, sort of. They hung out with me for a bit then got a little cranky, lol.
Attached Images

Old June 25th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

First time eating out of a bowl! Tonight they ate a good amount of mush, and as you can see, Ozzy really enjoyed his dinner! Poor Diva kept trying to get her head in there, but just couldn't as Ozzy's butt was in her way, lol!
Attached Images

Old June 25th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

Last group of pics! Ozzy and Diva are starting to peck the ground, and are picking up bits of food and eating them, so no more bottle Now I can go visit out of town friends and hubby can feed the pigs, I mean, birds :P

Next they NEEDED a bath BADLY! They were COVERED in mush! Head to toe, top and bottom, lol! I filled up a bin with warm water, and washed them well. They wandered around a bit afterwards, then cuddled in my lap (I used my nightgown to wick away the water). Now they are sleeping confortably under the heat lamp (which now they are really appreciating, lol).

They are starting to flutter about now! They aren't getting much lift, but they can get in and out of the tubs, bins, buckets, etc Little boogers
Attached Images

Old June 26th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Senior Contributor

I love that they are just wandering around with the kitties in the back ground.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old June 26th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Senior Contributor

TT,I cannot describe how exciting it is to follow their progress progress,thank you very much!!
Diapersbut I can see how it's needed
Good Kitties,but I'm sure you don't leave them alone with the Pigeons.
beautiful Tabbies

This page should be a sticky,just in case we need help one day with how to help a baby-bird..
Old June 26th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Formerly known as Grover4

LOL, that last one made me laugh!! Those birds are freaky looking but still very cute!!
Old June 26th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Formerly known as Grover4

Wait, I meant last picture on the first page, I didn't realize that there were two more pages of pictures. They are getting so big!!
Old June 26th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

All of my cats are great around birds. They were raised around chickens, cockatiels, etc. All of them respect birds, which I am greatfull for. I don't leave them alone with them of course, as instinct is much more powerful than my voice! But in time I will be able to let them run around the room and won't have to worry as much (beaks are powerful!).

Oh! And a lovely woman from the USA is mailing me some numbered snap-on leg bands, so that my babies will be registered with someone in case the ever get loose

Sorry, no pics today. I was out all day with my best friend. However, Diva has discovered how to eat the brown rice I've put into a bowl for them! She's eating it like a pro I picked up a few other things for them to eat, and she is all proud of herself. Ozzy is still wanting the bottle, so I'm letting them have a bit in the evenings, but the meals during the day will have to be the dry foods

Alrighty all, I am beat and ready for dinner then bed, haha. See you all tomorrow!
Old June 27th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

Ok, pics! This morning I gave the babes a little of the bottle, then made them eat their grains and goodies, lol.

First is Diva, chilling on the window sill. I have to replace a torn window screen (on my own dime, as the idiot building owner thinks screens are luxuries, haha). The babes like to sit and watch whats going on outside

Next is Ozzy freaking out that I won't give him more of the bottle, lol!

Last shows them starting to eat out of the little dish. They are eating peanuts, sunflower seeds (shelled), pumpkin seeds, brown rice, flax seed, fennel seed, green split peas & lentils.
Attached Images

Old June 27th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

More eating pics! They had a grand time eating, and I am very happy that they know what is food and what isn't Last pic shows a very PO'd Baby sitting in the back (she swatted at Diva and I yelled at her). She's annoyed that they get to sit on my shoulders, play in my hair and basically get attention that she would prefer for herself (however much she would actually not want the attention, she just assumes that it was taken from her, lol).
Attached Images

Old June 27th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Ooooh,Awwww they are getting cuter with every set of pics
I always wondered why we don't see any youngish looking Pigeons,since we see Robin,Cardinal,Blackbird and many other young birds.
Maybe Pigeons don't fly until the are completely mature