Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 3rd, 2012, 06:44 AM

30-35C+? Should I walk my dog???

Do you guys walk your dog when it's 30-35C+? I have a Shiba Inu, let me put it this way, he loves to sleep in -25C snow, so this weather is unbearable for my poor little guy.

I'm not sure how to give him what he needs without exhausting him. I have no access to ponds/rivers (and he won't go in them anyways), he won't chase a ball in the yard (he likes being sprayed with a hose). I am 8 months pregnant with another baby and it's impossible for me to climb down to the ravine/lake shore with all of them.

What to do?!?!?! I walked him at 6am and he was already panting. I'm from Vancouver so I've never had to deal with this heat before. We're in Montreal now.

Oh this is just for M-Thurs, on the weekends my husband takes him down to the ravine, just the 2 of them, and he can cool off. But I need advice for the week days.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 07:09 AM

What about teaching him some tricks and work on training inside when it's that warm out? Working the brain can be just as exhausting as a walk

I'm going to be working on this one with Loki and Livia : http://trainyourshelterdog.com/the-b...ffin-tin-game/

I sympathize with the heat - we're out in Rigaud, and while it's a bit cooler in the moutain, it is certainly way too hot for me most days (and we have no AC!)
Old August 3rd, 2012, 07:14 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree stimulate your dog's brain with training. Also just visiting someone, change of scenery. I have a boston terrier and she actually collapsed one day walking, so I never walk her over 25 and even then it's after sunset.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 08:14 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

I sympathize as well.
Dogs should not be walked on the black tar in temperatures like that anyway....just try stepping on a scorching hot black road barefoot. It will severely burn your feet and the dog's as well. Just something to be aware of.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old August 3rd, 2012, 08:44 AM
Owned by goldens

Should I walk my dog?

I am so glad that I am not alone thinking I shouldn't be walking my dogs. I felt so guilty but after just 5 minutes they were panting heavily and when we got home they would collapse in front of the fan or air conditioner so I stopped walking them but felt guilty about it.
Last week I was riding my bike in the evening. It had cooled off but was still humid and very warm. I heard heavy panting coming up behind me and when I looked in my mirror could see that it was a man on a bike with a big dog running beside him. It was a Standard Poodle with a full coat of fur. He (the man) hated to be passed by other bikes and would make his dog run faster to pass someone if they dared pass him. I finally pulled over and let him go by and kept behind but not before telling him he was going to kill his dog if he kept it up. Idjit!!!
Old August 3rd, 2012, 11:31 AM

Get a wading pool for the backyard, put some water in and if needed toss some hot dog slices in for him to dig out. Do some trick training in the house instead if it's hot.

I had a scare a few weeks ago, it was hot but figured my one dog would pace herself and not overdo it. Not so much, she started to have some walking issues and we rushed her to a nearby water source and got her cooled off, had to watch for other issues for a few days but she's fine now and we don't go for off leash walks where there's no water if it's hot out.
Old August 4th, 2012, 05:45 PM

The heat is tough on the kids, all right. Scruffy has a pool and lots of shade in teh backyard. We play fetch, but he'll only chase the stick a couple times before going to lay down.
I only walk him in the evening after it cools off, and take cues from him. If he's uncomfortable, we go back.
I agree with teh hot pavement comment. It can definately burn their feet.
Old August 5th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Senior Contributor

This heat is brutal for our dogs and cats. I walk Clark between 6-7am. Then we just go out for pee breaks or 5 minute walks. Short snouted dogs have a particularly hard time with this heat and humidity. I find Clark panting after a few minutes. My dog is the only one who gains weight in the summer and loses in the winter.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old August 6th, 2012, 12:04 AM

I'm in Montreal too, today was 40C with the humidity and I didn't take mine out for a walk. Way to hot! With this heat, they can burn the pads on their feet, no way will I put them in harms way. Taking them out to pee for a minute is one thing, walking is another.
Old August 8th, 2012, 12:28 AM
Willing cat servant

What I did with my very beloved Peanut is that I used to look for shaded areas to walk him. Scorching Sun is definitely not good for them to walk around and hot pave burns their paws
Sidewalks with shade or parks with lots of trees