Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 25th, 2009, 12:33 PM

Marbled Bengal?

This little cutie showed up on our patio one day and it was love at first site. From the moment I saw him I loved his coloring, long body and markings. He is the best cat and actually so different from what I'm used to. He behaves more like a dog: comes to his name or the sound of my voice, runs to greet me, takes treats from my hands and runs off to eat them, etc. He's so energetic, loves to jump, leap and climb, is very loving and such a sweetheart. He loves playing with my dog and often gets her to chase him and they give eachother 'kisses'. He's extremely laid back as well.

My mom had taken him to her vet to have him scanned for a chip and one wasn't found. Some time went by and we attempted to find his owner and then try to find him a home. All the while I was hoping that we didn't. However, something told me to have my vet check him out. Turns out he does have a chip. My heart sank when the vet tech told me that. But she and the chip company have been unable to reach the owner. They only had one phone number on file and the number is "temporarily disconnected". My vet said she will continue trying for 1 week and also send a letter to the address they were given by the chip company. They said we should wait about 7-10 days to give time for the letter to be returned (hopefully as undeliverable). At that point I am hoping to get to keep him.

It was suggested to me to that he look like a Bengal cat. I did a little digging and emailed pics to some breeders. I could care less if he is a Bengal or just a sweet Domestic, but now I'm extremely curious. So far the opinion is that he is a marbeled Bengal. I was curious what you guys thought? The pictures do not do his colors justice, but I didn't use my good camera. I'm also hoping this can be called my introductory post introducing my new kitty.
Attached Images

Old August 25th, 2009, 12:34 PM

wow... sorry for the gigantic pics. i'm at work and don't have an editing program to use.
Old August 25th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Senior Contributor

I like the pictures that size as I get to remove these glasses.

Whatever he is - he is gorgeous.. I can see oriental in him for sure.

If the phone is temporarily out of order, I would think that they moved or fell on hard times. So glad he had the sense to be at the right place, at the right time.

In the meanwhile, he is gorgeous!
Old August 25th, 2009, 12:51 PM
Molly's mama

I really hope his "parents" aren't looking for him. But that sure is strange about the disconnected number. Maybe this post comes at a good time to remind people to keep their microchip information up to date!!!
He really is beautiful, whatever he is. Good luck with him.
Old August 25th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Geek Club CEO

I think that's called "Classic Tabby" marking...14+ has some with those marks, no?
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old August 25th, 2009, 01:24 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I think 14+'s Dayle is marked like that Just gorgeous, Tigergenesis!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 25th, 2009, 01:30 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Yes, he's a classic tabby. Where are you located Tigergenesis? I adopted out Dayle's brother and cousin who both were marked like him. I still have Dayle. Love the markings myself.
Old August 25th, 2009, 01:38 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Here is my girl. She is very shy around people she doesn't know. Her cousin is too. Her brothers are both complete hams.
Attached Images

Old August 25th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Slave to the Kitties

Very Purrrrrrdy
Old August 25th, 2009, 08:18 PM

I am in the US (in the state Indiana). The home address listed for his 'parents' is over an hour away and it is a college town. It's sad, but it often happens that college kids get pets they can't keep when they go home during break and they let them loose. That's how my mom got one of her ferrets. I wonder if that's what happened with this cutie. Or if they just fell on hard times and thought it would be better to let him loose rather than take him back to the Humane Society (which is where they got him from)

If I don't hear from my vet by Thursday I'll follow up with them to see if I'm a new kitty mommy. I hope so because I've already spent lots of money on him - including a tag with his name on it (the name that I am giving him - not the name his other 'parents' gave him). It's been hard not to jump the gun and avoid shopping for him

14+....Dayle is gorgeous!!! So pretty! Thank you for sharing a picture. I've had the toughest time telling the difference between the Classic Tabby and Marbled Bengal at times.

Thank you everyone. I will have to get some better pics to share. He has the most gorgeous Amber colored eyes and his belly matches his eyes.
Old August 25th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Catlover2

Gorgeous cat! I do hope you get to keep him. Definitely a Marbled Bengal on one side tho his other side does look a bit like classic tabby. Hard to tell in that pic, but if the pattern is more horizontally elongated when he's lying stretched out, then he's marbled for sure. Lucky u!
Old August 25th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Catlover2

Check out this website: http://www.hdw-inc.com/marbles.htm
Old August 25th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi

Welcome to the forum!! Your kitty is beautiful!!

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old August 26th, 2009, 09:10 AM
I'm a softy

Definetly a tabby.. how beautiful!!! Lucky you!!!! One of my FAVE cat colors!!! Although the clothes they wear are not that important.... Bengals have this amazing gold shine on their coats, you can definitely tell when you see it! Pretty kitty you have!!! Enjoy!
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old August 26th, 2009, 03:00 PM
chronically insane.

I call them marbled tabbies I see them very frequently. I've met a bengal mix before and you can see the difference. I wish I had the picture still, but my old computer is broken.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009