Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Puppy health

Old March 31st, 2012, 04:33 PM

generalized demodex

Hello all,

I have a new sweet female pitbul puppy named Marley who will be 8 weeks old tomorrow, and I believe she has demodectic mange. We took her home a little more than a week ago and she had a couple of small circular hairless spots (no redness or dry skin, just bald) on her head, chest, and legs. Over the last week I've watched her develop a few more circular hairless spots and her skin has also become flaky on the back of her neck, upper chest and lower back. These flaky patches are not currently associated with hairloss, it just looks like her skin is peeling and resembles a bad case of dandruff.

A week from this past friday we brought her to the vet to have her checked out. She's very healthy except for this skin condition. Does it sound like demodex to you guys? The vet put her on clindamycin and she's been taking 1/4 ml for the past week. I was wondering if it was safe to start her on ivermectin. She's 8 weeks and weighed 3lbs a week ago at the vet.

Essentially my questions are:
1. does this sound like demodex?
2. is it safe to give ivermectin to her at this age?
3. is it safe to give the ivermectin while she finishes the clindamycin?
4. what should the dosing schedule for her be?

Thanks for any and all help, its much appreciated!
Old March 31st, 2012, 05:55 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Your best bet is to contact the vet and have a scraping done. If Marley has ringworm, say, or some other skin condition other than demodex, ivermectin will not work and may put her at risk (some dogs react really badly to ivermectin). Best to find out exactly what you're dealing with and go from there--and that means another trip to the vet...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 31st, 2012, 02:39 PM
Senior Contributor

I would be very careful of your vaccinations until this gets resolved. In fact, I wouldn't vaccinate until you know what it is and are treating and it's resolving, which means keeping your pup very safe and protected and not exposed.

Clindamycin should be given with probiotics (separated by at least 2 hours apart) - that's a big time antibiotic. Following with the probiotic after the abx are done is also very important. They make probiotic powder for kids, and you can mix that in with some yogurt or organic applesauce as a nighttime treat.
Old May 31st, 2012, 07:26 PM

My Theo had demodex at 8 weeks. However he had a compromised immune system because he was just getting over the parvo virus. My vet treated him with ivermectin with no issues. However your vet should answer all these questions for you. There is also a shampoo you can use, it is called pyoben, it works really well and gets rid of the little tiny sores that are sometimes associate with demodex they are called pustules. Usually antibiotics are used to treat the secondary infection. (usually by Staphylococcus) All dogs have demodex mites but in healthy dogs, their immune system keeps them in check. Dogs that get full blown demodex usually (not always) have a suppressed immune system. This advice was already given but DO NOT vaccinate your pup until all this clears up. Vaccines suppress the immune system. I'd take him back to the vet if its not clearing up and try that shampoo it works wonders. You have to wet the pup, apply the shampoo (not around the eyes or mouth) and leave it on for 5-10 minutes. You can do that every couple of days. Stops the itching and gives the pup much need relief. Good luck, keep us posted. Also mentioned is a probiotic. In Canada there is one called FortiFlora. Here is the info on it:

FortiFlora is a nutritional supplement for dogs and has been formulated to achieve the following characteristics:
Contains a special strain of probiotic that has been proven to promote intestinal health and balance
Contains a guaranteed amount of live active cultures
Promotes a healthy immune system
Contains high levels of antioxidant Vitamins A, E, and C
Excellent palatability

How does FortiFlora work?
FortiFlora may help nutritionally manage dogs with diarrhea in many situations, including:
Stressful situations such as boarding or change in home environment
Diet change or consumption of inappropriate foods
Soft stool in puppies
Antibiotic therapy

You just sprinkle it on the food and mix it in. (use with canned food)
Old October 22nd, 2013, 11:36 AM

My puppy too had a small case of demodex mange, yes to me this does sound like demodex. I think your best bet is to ask your vet for a skin scraping. When fifi had it she was prescribes tablets and a very good ointment! I only recommend taking her to your vet though.