Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 2nd, 2006, 11:35 AM

Puppy Allergies

Hi, no it doesn't puff up if I get scratched. Malamutes and huskies are supposed to be more hypo allergenic than many other breeds, so not sure why I am like this. It is summer and it could be hayfever, but I have not havd hayfever since I was 14 years old, so I am thinking that it must be something else. I am allergic to cats and was looking to see if malamute fur was like cat fur at all.
Old August 2nd, 2006, 11:37 AM

can't get photo up

P.S/ Just logged on to this forum and have uploaded a photo, but it won't come up on my posts. Any advice?
Old August 2nd, 2006, 11:47 AM

I've never heard anything about mals and huskies being less allergenic than anybody else- most of what I've heard is actually that they cause more allergies than most dogs..

For the pic, there's a good explanation from lewisw here: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....ighlight=share
post #268
Old August 2nd, 2006, 02:35 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

I believe Prin is correct (often is).

Quote:
I've never heard anything about mals and huskies being less allergenic than anybody else- most of what I've heard is actually that they cause more allergies than most dogs..
There's really no such thing as a hypoallergenic dog. But some dogs do seem to cause less allergy problems than other dogs. As far as I know Mals and husky's are NOT in that category.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old August 3rd, 2006, 10:50 AM

allergy casuing dogs

Quote:
"Their fur is soft in texture, odorless with no doggy smell, and appears not to bother people who are allergic to dogs." - Sled dog central

"siberian huskies have little doggy smell and are not one of the most allergy-causing breeds" - sherekan.com

I could go on and on. I read numerous websites about these dogs before buying one and the breed was suggested for poeple who are normally allergic to dogs, as the fur is of a different type. Yes it is long, but I also own a Samoyed with 8 inch shedding fur and a keeshond with 5 inch shedding fur for the last 8 years and have never had a reaction from these.
I think the point I was originally trying to ask was about puppy fur, not husky fur in particular. I was simply referring to mals and siberians being less allergic due to the websites suggesting their fur is not of the standard doggy type. Of course there will be poeple allergic to dogs no matter what, but I am not one of these poeple having already owned several all my life.
Thanks
Old August 3rd, 2006, 12:44 PM

Is there anybody who isn't relying on these dogs for profit that is saying they're hypoallergenic?

Doggy smell isn't the cause of allergies in humans. It's dander. You can't smell dander (usually). You can have the least smelly dog ever and it can still be sending off a lot of dander.

Maybe the best person to ask is a husky rescue. If they lie about the dogs being allergen-free or even reduced, the dog comes back and has to be rehomed again.
Old August 17th, 2006, 06:48 PM

I guess I'll put my 1.8 cents (2 cents ?) in. (That's not a comment about the exchange rate, btw ) I'm allergic to a lot of things, lucky for me not dogs. But I am allergic to most cats, most of the northern tree fruits & some nuts--I get that horrible scratchy mouth and my throat can close during severe reactions--after a lifetime, I have the remedy.

But it's funny, with apples, some varieties make me react much more strongly, some hardly at all. I can't eat a mushy apple, either, but crisp right off the tree mostly doesn't bother me. I don't understand why I can eat a Granny Smith (and most of the year, too) but a slightly past ripe Mac or Jonathon, etc. sends me to the meds cabinet for the benedryl (tastes terrible when you chew on the capsule to get a topical application inside your mouth!) And lord help me if I get a little juice in one of my eyes!

Except that they ARE different varieties. Some are more allergenic than others--just like dogs and cats.

I've found Poodles--I admit I like the personality. The Poodle Brain, one of my friends calls it. But one of the most attractive things about them for me is their coverings (is it fur? hair? I dunno.) I've had Labs, Collies, Danes, an Eskie, Peekapoo, a Shepard--all of them made me want to wash up after handling them. Lots of skin oil in the fur--the thing is that the Poodles I've had don't feel that oil, and looking in their hair, there is very little flaked off skin. And, of course, I control the length of my dog's hair--they don't shed, so without periodic maintenance they get messy and matted.

For the person asking about the Portuguese Water Dog, I've met a couple--the fur is very comparable to Std & Min. Poodle fur. The ones I've met were very nice doggies, friendly and outgoing. Stature of the ones I met were sort of inbetween the Mini and the Std. at about 35 to 40 pounds. I understand that may be smallish. The black ones I met were very Poodle-like. If one came into my radar for a rescue, I'd have probably have one (not looking for another dog, tho.)

And my experience has been that the shorter haired varieties have oilier skin--maybe that's because the fluffier furred dogs do a better job of absorbing oils into the fine guard hairs?
Old August 31st, 2006, 12:21 AM

My bfs niece has very bad asthma and the 2 girls had wanted a dog for a very long time.

Their mother found out about wheaton terriers being a possible choice due to their non shedding coat. Gradually she was able to introduce her daughter to the breed so that they could see if she could be around the dog and as it turned out, she was fine and they finally got their dog!

I am told that although wheaton terriers do not shed like other dogs that they still do shed dander and they, of course, have saliva, which is a trigger for some peoples allergy so if one is considering a dog they should find a way to spend a considerable amount of time around the breed before bringing home a puppy or a dog so as not to have to "let the dog go" down the road as it is not fair to the dog or the human... too many emotions on both sides.
Old August 31st, 2006, 02:16 PM
-

Quote:
"siberian huskies have little doggy smell and are not one of the most allergy-causing breeds" - sherekan.com
I don't know about the allergy part but siberian huskies definitely have very little doggy smell.
Old September 10th, 2006, 12:25 PM

"Best" Dogs for Allergies....

I agree a lot with what the other post said, but I think there are degrees of allergic reaction too. Just depends on how much you love dogs and how much you're willing to put up with. I've been allergic to dogs all my life, but I've always had them too -- indoors.

I do take pains to wash them frequently (and it doesn't hurt the dogs' coats at all) but it sure is hard on me to keep enough towels around and to go thru the pain of having to drag, push, pull and cram a big St. Bernard's rear-end in my bathtub (who is unwilling to go) -- thats the hardest part for me!

I also think keeping them out of your bedroom is a good idea. And you could try some of the "Allerpet" products, which is supposed to neutralize the proteins in the saliva of the animals (cats or dogs). (I also have two cats in our household). I also vacuum frequently. I have many people tell me when they come to visit that they can never tell that ANY dog is in the house, so I think its a tribute to how much you want to keep....I will do anything & everything to keep my animals close to me, but thats just me.

Now, I just recently got two new puppies (Labradoodle and Goldendoodle) who are supposed to shed less, but we'll see. I figure it couldn't hurt anymore than my other dogs anyway (St. Bernard) but I'll be curious if my allergies bother me less with two of the poodle cross-breeds. They are sure goofy puppies -- I have never even known anyone before who has a poodle so I wasn't sure what to expect but they're just so comical acting. I'm going to have to read-up on that breed I guess. I've had plenty of exposure to Labs and Goldenretrievers and these two puppies are very curly (more of the poodle in them) so I guess that means personality wise too)

Sorry this first post got to be so long -- I'm new to this forum and glad to be here!

Anita
Rochester, MN
Attached Images

Last edited by White Wolf; September 10th, 2006 at 12:42 PM. Reason: deleted self-promotion
Old October 25th, 2006, 09:48 AM

Unhappy I extremely allergic to my new puppy. HELP!!

I recently picked up a Spanish Water Dog (very rare breed, cousin to Portuguese). He is 9 weeks and I have had him for 5 days. He is one of these purported "hypoallergenic" breeds that has wool like a Poodle and does not shed a single hair. Since having him I have been sneezing, coughing and short of breath. He is so wonderful and I am too attached and can't fathom giving him up.

Does anyone know if the puppy hair is worse for allergies than the adult hair? What can I do to minimize it since everything I read seems to be a hoax when studied by actualy Vets. I have two air purifiers going and I am taking Claritin which doesn't seem to do anything but make my mouth dry.

Thanks!!
Old October 25th, 2006, 08:29 PM

Puppy fur is different from adult fur, but everybody I know is allergic to adults and not puppies... Not sure what you can do but try to keep your immunity up and maybe build up a resistance to it.

I guess you'll be the first one around you screaming from the rooftops that there is no such thing as a hypoallergenic dog.
Old January 5th, 2007, 06:21 PM

Unhappy Non-Allergenic

I can only speak for myself, but I have terrible dog allergies, and got a bichon 2.5 months ago and he doesn't bother me at all.... however one time I got him groomed and they sprayed him with some kind of perfumed hair conditioner and I broke out in hives.....
Old January 29th, 2007, 08:20 PM

I used to be alergic to the fur of cats and dogs as a child.I had to take some medications and today i do not have problems with my dog or other pets.

It is very strange i think that these medications helped me and i do not have this problem anymore. Because i have not read anyone of you having a similar experience.

i really loved this site if there are any errors in my english .I hope that i will improve them.

Last edited by saya; January 29th, 2007 at 08:29 PM.
Old April 29th, 2007, 03:24 PM

I would just like to say that for anyone looking for a dog that is less likely to cause allergies and of course if you like the looks then a Chinese Crested or other hairless dog such as Xolo's or AHT's may be an option!

I have a hairless crested and a coated (powderpuff) Crestie and both are supposed to be "hypoallergetic" well about as close as you can get really since no dog is truely that way!

I am lucky though and don't have any allegies to animals so that wasn't the reason I got this breed but it's a definate plus if ever in the future My grandbabies have allergies

http://www.freewebs.com/crazy4cresteds/index.htm
Old May 11th, 2007, 01:47 PM

Post Hair not fur

yes it's true that fur is and allergen, BUT most dogs that have HAIR not fur, -Poodles,Yorkies MIKI'S etc.our allergy free. There are also a new breed of cat that is guaranteed allergy free but you will pay dearly for it.Most cats are allergens because they lick there coat much much more then a dog and yes it is the saliva that causes the allergy.
Old May 11th, 2007, 06:45 PM

Actually, no dog is allergen free. They may have different fur, but it can still cause allergies. Some people are allergic to only the dogs with hair and not the furry ones.
Old January 10th, 2008, 07:59 AM

Cool

dogs that are best for allergies are bision fies,poodles and anything crossed with a poddle.like a cockerpoo labradoddle,because they dont shed there fur.
Old January 10th, 2008, 12:40 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Also, a lot of people are allergic to the dander not the fur, so it doesn't matter what type of fur your pup or potential pup has.

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)
Old January 15th, 2008, 09:57 PM

I was surprised at the post from the breeder insisting there is no difference from one breed to another as far as allergies go. The Canadian Kennel Club website says differently! Although that site does not specify breeds, wikipedia does. Here's the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypoallergenic_dog_breeds

Hope this helps!
Old January 16th, 2008, 12:37 PM

pet alergies

Amreican Eskimo are great dogs for allergies. They have 2 different coats, one like persian fur the top coat is like human hair. Good Luck
Old February 21st, 2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petdr View Post
Question:

What breeds of dogs are best to have if allergies are present?

Answer:

Firstly, there is no dog that is non-allergenic. It is a myth that dogs with short hair are non-allergenic.

What people with allergies are allergic to is a protein that is found primarily in the saliva and urine.
When the dog (or cat for that matter) grooms itself by licking its fur, it is placing the allergen on its coat where the particles become airborne and find their way throughout your house....and into your lungs.

So if you are allergic or your kids are allergic to dogs or cats DO NOT GET ONE.

It's not fair to the allergy sufferer or the animal that will eventually be given away.

If you already have a dog and develop allergies there are some things you can do.

The best solution for your physical health would be to remove the pet from your home. However many people with allergies (it all depends on how severe) do live reasonably well with their pets save for the occasional sniffle.

If you do have allergies and are living with pets here are some things you can try;
  1. Do not let the dog enter your bedroom. You sleep 8 hours a day there. Minimize the allergens that can get into this room.
  2. Get some kind of ventilation system that exchanges the air in your house with fresh air from outside.
  3. Vacuum frequently
  4. Wash your pet frequently (ask your vet for a schedule for your breed)
  5. Have someone who is not allergic brush your pet OUTDOORS as frequently as possible.
  6. Wash your hands after handling the pet

These steps should reduce but not eliminate the amount of allergens present in your home. They may lessen your allergic symptoms but they will not eliminate your allergies.

Hope that helps

Samantha
Dog owner and breeder for over 20 years
. Thanks people need to know this with all the so called new no allergy dog/ cats that people are falling for and spending big $$$$ on I tell my new clients this all the time just wish some of them would listen.
Old February 28th, 2008, 07:00 PM

hair/fur

i have an Maltese she non -shedding coat .but she still cant not be around some people with allergies because of her saliva and dander .
Old March 26th, 2008, 07:54 AM

alergy

My wife developed a minor allergy during her first pregnancy while we had a long haired cat. We found the cat a good home at the time. 9 years later we got an Abasynian that does not bother her 90% of the time.

We got ourselves a standard poodle 9 months ago, he's now 11 months old. My wife has had no problems with him around our house and he sleeps in our bedroom next to me on the floor. Even after 4 months of not having a hair cut, there is no problem. He's about 84 lbs and he is great with my kids who are 6 and 9 and they have no allergies either, not that they had them before.

My father has a medium long haired dog that when he is at our house for a few hours visit, my wife doesn't seem to show any allergy symptoms. However, when he's at our house for a few days when my folks go out of town, she gets congested and some runny eyes. He was picked up from a shelter about 10 years ago. he's a different dog, different fur, and he sheds.
Old May 8th, 2008, 06:23 PM

although there is no such thing as a hypoallegenic dog, i have never heard of a husky being a close run for one. they have a layered coat so i wouldnt say they would even come close. the only dogs i know that would come close to hypoallergenic are the following:

chinese crested, (cute little things),
american hairless, long hair chihuhua (they d not have fur ,they have hair.),
mexican hairless, yorkie (they have hair as well instead of fur, Schnauzer,

i hope this helps.
Old May 28th, 2008, 07:37 AM

I know this post was old but I thought I'd add my from experience...
we are a family of allergies to dogs (and short haired cats)... my dad, my sister, me and now my young daughter... Over the years I've taken in several dogs s... every one of them bothered us to some extent.. the Boxer and the Husky were the absolutely worse by far but they all bothered us to some degree. Well, I've always wanted a small dog.. so last year I got a Shih Tzu.. and none of us are bothered by her . I can actually rub my face in her hair and I'm not bothered! My daughter and my Dad have severe allergies.. severe eye swelling, itchy throat, etc... so before I got my Shih Tzu I brought my daughter anywhere I could find a shih tzu.. had her pet them, play with them, etc.. we visited about 6 different shih tzu dogs (pet stores, shelters, friends) to ensure she would be okay with a shih tzu..
And yes, although allergies vary from one person to another.. I'd say a Shih Tzu is one of the safer bets... any reputable breeder or shelter will allow you to visit and spend time with the dog before you get it.. visit them, tell them about your allergies.. interact with the dog.. don't bring it home the same day... wait to see if it bothers you...
Old January 9th, 2009, 07:30 PM

Personally, I've always had dog allergies, and yet our maltipoo has never set me off. There again, my allergy triggers off of saliva, not the fur. She doesn't seem prone to licking herself all day long, so the shedding isn't covered in what would set off my allergies.

I don't know that a short haired dog will necessarily be less of an allergy problem, but one that doesn't drool or lick as much seems to make my life easier.

Hope that helps!
Old January 19th, 2009, 02:36 AM

I suffer from bronchial asthma and pet allergies, but am more sensitive to the dander than fur. Our last dog was a bichon. We had him bathed at the groomers monthly and my husband took care of his grooming needs in our home. If we kept our house clean and he stayed off of beds and furniture my allergies rarely bothered me. Near the end of his life, though (he passed away last spring from liver cancer) he spent more time cuddling on the couch, was more hesitant for baths and slept with us on our bed. I handled it with benadryl and more aggressive asthma treatment and we got by.

It was well worth it and we are considering adding a puppy to our family once again. That being said, regardless of claims my allergies have not done well with poodles, terriers or pugs (all of which were promoted to us as "allergy free"), but it could have been due to infrequent bathing (huge key - get a someone outside of the home to do this).

If you do choose to add a dog to your family my best advise would be to visit the breeder and rub your face in their fur a few times. Just don't take the kids with you.
Old January 19th, 2009, 02:45 PM
I'm a softy

I don't think I would put terriers or pugs in that category... The difference between what people call "hypoallergenic" ot not, is if they have hair, or fur. Some breeds like the shih tzu, bichon, poodle. ect, have hair that grows contstantly, like ours. Other breeds have fur, one hair grows, another grows under it and pushes the first one out, i.e. they shed.. It is a myth.. It is fantastic that people find breeds that don't bother them but I think that these breeds should just be classified as sheeding and non shedding, leaving the allergenic out. The common allergen is dander, a protein in the animals slaiva, that when dried becomes airborne, and breathed in. Therefore hairless dogs, like the chinese crested, and xolo(don't wanna spell the rest but it sounds like showlowitzquintly, lol!) are not hypoallergenic either...

Some people are just having good luck finding breeds that they can live with and I think it is just luck. There are also people that do not have allergies but use it as an excuse to not look evil when they want to give up their dog. Otherwise there could just be something else they are allergic too. Either way it is not fair to classify any breed as being non allergenic, because they can still cause reactions.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 02:30 PM

The scary side of allergies...

I know this is an old thread BUT I had to put my 2 cents in as well.....

First off, if you are having trouble breathing, do not kid yourself, allergy medicine may not always help or it may be too late...your safety comes first, please get help and advice from a medical professional immediately!

My own allergy history:

Age of 2 diagnosed with many allergies (citrus, chocolate, house dust, etc.) and by age 5 diagnosed with animal allergies (dogs, cats, farm animals, etc). My animal lover parents had to give up our 2 cats and dog for my sake!

I have found over the years that my allergies have changed a lot. I am not severely allergic to many foods anymore, sometimes I get itchy hives, but these are more an irritant versus an allergy.

I am still severely allergic to cats and horses. My throat starts to swell, itch and close and I start having trouble breathing. I carry an epi-pen at all times because of this. I sadly can only be around cats for 15 minutes before my eyes itch, get red, start swelling and then within 2 hours my throat is closing and I need to leave.

Dogs are a different matter. I find every single individual dog is different to me. I have dog-sat for and been around numerous dog breeds now and I find I react differently. Its an very individual thing.

I am now living (the first time in 25 years) with an animal- a bichon/shih tzu cross. It has been good. My eyes itch and turn red occasionally and I very rarely get hives.

It sucks to have allergies but you need to learn there signs and symptoms and choose to live with or without animal accordingly. Some severe allergies are life threatening!

Thats all!! ha ha

Tags
pet marketing, the pet market