Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old February 22nd, 2007, 11:48 AM

Introducing Lola

Hi there,
I'm the new person owned by little Lola, 14 week old "Schnoodle". I'm sure you will be reading a lot about Lola in the coming weeks and months as she has a few issues...coprophasia , separation anxiety :sad: , etc... She came to us at 11 weeks very fearful and shy but is shaping up to be a delightful little shnook despite her shortcomings. She is a very smart little cookie.

Lola is a replacement (but will never truly replace) my sweet little loving Rozie, the greatest little Welsh Terrier who ever scampered on this earth. We had Rose put down on January 2nd. She would have been 14 years old this April. I didn't think I was ready for another dog but now that she's here, Lola has really helped to take the edge off my grief. (It was a terrible day but now I can actually say "Rozie" without crying.)

It's been a long time since I had a puppy...I forgot how much work it is!!
Thank goodness for this site and folks like you!
Cindy
Old February 22nd, 2007, 12:14 PM

Hi Cindy: Sounds like you have a lot of socialization to do...at 11 weeks, you have a very small window; about 3-4 more weeks to work in. Try and expose her to as many places and things as you can...if you stay calm and matter-of-fact she will take her cue from you.
I believe fearful and anxious dogs are made worse when their humans respond to it with comfort...to a dog, it's a reward for the fear. The less fuss you make, the more her confidence will grow...good luck.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 12:46 PM

Hi AJ's Mom,
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I'm aware of the socialization window and have been working hard to get Lola exposed to as much as possible. She's been to the local grocery store mall where I've asked passersby to greet her and she's seen walkers, bikes, canes, shopping carts, what-have-you. She's learned that she can get tasty gum from the sidewalk . She LOVES kids and other dogs, is very interested in befriending cats but keeps a wary distance. She doesn't care for the car but just lies down immediately and waits out the trip. I don't think she realizes that there's a world going by outside the window as all she can see from her prone position are treetops and sky! I take her to the vet's office for visits with the girls. We don't molly-coddle her when something scary happens but speak to her in an up-beat, excited and friendly voice to let her know that the chair scraping or the blender whirring are FUN noises. She does not like to be left alone - I had a video camera on her when I left her at home in her crate for 42 minutes...she howled and yipped for 21 of them before settling down. She's learning to spend the night in her crate by our bed and is accepting it more and more. She's coming along quite well, hopefully we can overcome the separtion anxiety. I'm aware that it is imperative to work it out while she's young.

I'll be posting more about our issues in the appropriate forums when there's time. Thanks again for your comments/concerns!
Cindy
Old February 23rd, 2007, 11:13 AM
-

Welcome Cindy ~ and you too Lola ! We would love to see pix of your lovable mutt (a lot of us have mutts so no worries about breed-snobs here !).

There have been a number of excellent threads on separation anxiety and puppyhood. You will see "Search" on the dark blue bar under the light blue "header". Hit "search" and key in "separation anxiety" (or any other key words for your concern) to see all the threads and posts about that topic.

Now, no excuses with the pix ~ cuz we love puppies !
Old February 23rd, 2007, 12:37 PM

Heeeeere's LOLA!

Thanks for the tips, mummummumm!
I'll be sure to read up on this, we're determined to overcome this problem!
Here are some photos of our little scamp. The action one was taken yesterday while she was "helping" in the yard. She LOVES being outside in the yard, will zoom around and entertain herself by tossing sticks, mouthing leaves, digging holes, etc.
Attached Images