Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old April 3rd, 2005, 08:45 PM

new pet mom

Hi all,
Just found this site today looking for somewhere to ask some questions about problems my older dog is having (posted on the pet health forum).
Our family has 2 dogs, Maggie will be 13 in 2 weeks, shes 3/4 chow and 1/4 husky or shepard. She`s been the greatest dog ever and litter-mate to our oldest son who was 6 months old when we got her. She has congenital cataracts & seems to be going deaf, but still is totally sweet to everyone except our new addition. A couple of weeks ago we heard about a litter of chow-shepard mix puppies at our local humane society and adopted Lola. Lola is just 3 months old, about 90% housetrained, and looking to get her enrolled in puppy classes soon. I`m sure I will be asking questions about puppy problems soon!

We also share our home with Teeny, a small black tortie cat who is nearly 11 and very stressed out by the puppy. Plus a 5 yo Guinea pig named Fluffy and a 5yo cockateil, Peaches. We are out-numbered! LOL The kids are always clamoring for new pets, but the new puppy is the only one who they`ve been good about taking responsibility for so far.

Thanks for listening
Pam
Old April 4th, 2005, 12:41 AM

Welcome to the board!! I think we all love people who love their pets even in their older years and we never tire of hearing about them.
Old April 4th, 2005, 09:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Welcome on board. WOW you do have a house full. I think it is good that kids have pets but I also think they should help take care of them. It teaches them responsbility. Just wanted to say hi and let you know that we love pictures. We look forward to getting to know you and your fur babies better.

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old April 4th, 2005, 10:11 AM

We haven`t adopted any pets that I wasn`t prepared to take full responsibility for, even when it turned out to be more than we were expecting. Like the guinea pigs (we had 2, one died about a year ago), I was thinking they would be like big hamsters, but they are way more work that that! I spent a lot of time on GP forums learning how to properly care for them.
With the new puppy however, I ended up in the hospital for a week the day after we brought her home, so everyone HAD to step up to care for her. The kids are becoming much more responsible with the other pets too. My daughter, age 8, is amazing me at how interested she is in learning about animals and is finally able to understand why she can`t get a kitten now- I`ve said no more animals until the puppy is fully trained, plus our older cat doesn`t get along with other cats (plus I`m not really a cat person, so she would have to be fully in charge of its care). She is now thinking about a hamster (which I don`t care for either) and I think she just might be able to handle it. They`ve sat through several lectures about how a pet is with us for the rest of its life, whether they feel like dealing with it or not. I think with having the older animals they are finally 'getting it'.

I would love to put some pics up and have some scaned, just need to take the time to find them and figure out how to post them
Old April 5th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Welcome! Hope you enjoy your time here. Its very addictive!

Sounds like you have a full house over there.