Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Kitten health

Old April 10th, 2006, 03:22 PM

Red face The cost of Spaying and decawling a cat

A bit of a wierd question I suppose.

I might be given a kitten in the next fews weeks. (A cat at my fiances work is pregnant). I've never had a cat before, just dogs. I don't know if the cost is the same. We live in Ontario. Does anyone know roughly what the cost of spaying and de-cawling a cat is? And any other tidbits would be very much appreciated!!! (I've already decided I want a female cat). lol

Old April 10th, 2006, 03:33 PM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

Congrats on your soon to be new arrival and even more so on wanting to get her spayed. There are others on this board that live in the Toronto area and could probably give you good references for various vets, though I have to ask, why declawing? Technically it's the amputation of an entire portion of a cat's toe and considered rather cruel and barbaric? Again, congrats and I hope you rethink the declawing part of your pet experience

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old April 10th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Chibey,you'll love having a kitten in the house,I am not sure how much spaying is where you are,but here it runs from $150-$200.
Please,please do not declaw your kitten,it's cruel and causes the kitten a lot of pain and she might even turn in to a biter,since she has no claws to defend herself.It's not only a question of pulling the claws,the bones are sawed off,it's like you losing the first part of your finger.
Most of us here who have cats,are 200% against mutilating cats:sad:
There are always certain disadvantages with having a cat or dog(not to me)puppies might pee on the floor,chew slippers,cats might scratch the furniture,but there are ways to prevent this from happening.
Cat-trees,scratch-boards are all you need and keeping your cats nails nice and trimmed.
I've had cats all my life,I would NEVER consider de-clawing,so please reconsider,your kitten will thank you for it!!
Another thing,this kitten will expect you to care for her for the next,up to 20 yrs..
Old April 10th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I agree with chico please please I beg you do not declaw your cat.
If you knew what was involved you would shudder. It is not simply the removal of the nail it's removal of the tip of the joint. It's painful and horribly cruel. Many vets will not even do this procedure anymore. GEt some great scratching posts for your cat and many toys or a cat tree.

Also if your cat ever 'needed' to defend itself it couldn't and would suffer. It just seemed to be the 'thing' to do to declaw and now people are of the wiser.

I do hope you reconsider please it's just cruel and inhumane!
Old April 10th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Declawing is not a manicure. It involves amputating the ends of the cats toes, through bone and nerve and muscle.

It is banned in most countries as it is considered a totally unnecessary cruelty done merely for human convenience.

http://declaw.lisaviolet.com/
Old April 10th, 2006, 06:57 PM
cat slave

odd how you want to know the price of spaying ANd declawing...as if they were closely related.

Declawing is not necessary. You could just take the time every 2 weeks and cut your cat's nails and then there would be no scratching issue.

Are you worried she might attack or ruin any furniture?
If that is so, then why get it? You're trying to save a life and then amputate her fingers.

Please reconsider declawing, or don't get the cat.