Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old October 5th, 2011, 03:42 AM

I need some help.

In a previous thread I was asking for help with a decision my friend was about to make, before I showed her youre answers. Now I have a question for me that will be very helpful.

First I wanna say that I have experiences with dogs ( I had a dog half German Shepherd and half Chow-Chow, then I had a Dutch Smoushond and now we have a German Shepherd ). I am surrounded with dogs and cats ( we always had cats at home ), so I have experiences with big and small dogs. Im also very calm, Im not affraid of dogs, I watch Dog Whisperer and well, Im good with dogs.
But now Im about to move on my own and I will have a big house, big place outside on a country and I have lots of time. I know I will have at least two kittens, but I wanna have two dogs, one of them will be deffinitly the Akita dog, but I need some help with a decision for the other dog.

I wanna know which breed will go well with my Akita. Like I said, I have patiente, Im very into training them well, I know how to deal with dogs and I have plenty of time and place. So, please help.
Old October 5th, 2011, 07:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Best dogs I've ever had were two "Golden Retrievers" and there are a lot in shelters. I had a lot of breeds but this was the most loyal, and protective yet gentle with children and cats. I miss my goldens.....
Old October 5th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Senior Contributor

as well with the golden retrievers are labs...black labs, so many of those also in shelters and they seem to get along with any and all dogs, they love kids and are soooo loyal....all retrievers are I find
Old October 5th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Wow, I just googled Dutch Smoushond. Had never heard of them. Very interesting to read about how they were brought back from obscurity. They are pretty obscure, if not non-existant, here though.
Old October 5th, 2011, 12:16 PM

Sorry, didn't read this other thread you're talking about but I will say that Akita's are notorious for being highly dog aggressive, so I would not recommend getting one if you plan on having multiple dogs. They are also generally not good with other animals, they are hard wired hunters and would very likely end up killing your kittens.

What is your criteria for the dogs you want? What are you expecting of them?
Old October 5th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Skylar's Farm

If you are looking for a guard dog there are other breeds besides an Akita that will get along better with a second dog and kittens. It's kind of a strange mix.
Old October 6th, 2011, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choochi View Post
Sorry, didn't read this other thread you're talking about but I will say that Akita's are notorious for being highly dog aggressive, so I would not recommend getting one if you plan on having multiple dogs. They are also generally not good with other animals, they are hard wired hunters and would very likely end up killing your kittens.

What is your criteria for the dogs you want? What are you expecting of them?
I love big dogs and I really want two dogs that will be kind of good with other animals, with people and that will protect the house. I fell in love with Akita the first time I saw her, but I dont wanna have one if they dont like company. I also like Husky or Alaska Malamut.
Old October 6th, 2011, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bina View Post
If you are looking for a guard dog there are other breeds besides an Akita that will get along better with a second dog and kittens. It's kind of a strange mix.
Can you tell me some breeds that will be good with other animals and as guards? I preffer big dogs.
Old October 6th, 2011, 07:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Husky's are wanderers....I've met some pretty great shepherds, protective, loyal and get along with other animals.
Old October 6th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Senior Contributor

mine is a black lab/shepherd mix, best dog, great with kids, great with my chinchilla, any of my friends can bring their dogs over....and man, does she let me know when someone comes into the yard, with just a finger symbol I can keep her barking for as long as I need if I'm not too sure who's at the door.
Old October 6th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Skylar's Farm

My best guard dog/house buddy was probably my Bouvier des Flandres, but they do require alot of fur coat maintenance and grooming.
Next would be German Shepherds, they are absolutely brilliant.
And like Melinda said, the Labrador/Shepherd mix is usually an all around superb dog.
These breeds can live 12-14 years so plan carefully.
Old October 6th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Just another word of caution re: Akitas
They are wonderfully loyal, regal animals, and so beautiful... as well as deadly to other animals. As others have stated, they are animal aggressive. I had one yrs ago. He was a bronze brindle with a full black mask, and just gorgeous. He LOVED people. Adults, kids... anyone and everyone. But he would try to attack any other animals that came near us. Even with training, he couldn't be trusted. The breeder I had gotten him from had to keep the parents seperated as well as muzzled during breeding, so that says a lot.

As for Malamutes, they can be "if'y". I have 2 and they get along wonderfully now, but it took a good 3 months of slow intorduction. Our old boy is not dog friendly, but has always been an only child until last year. Our baby, who is now 1.5 yrs old has been going to daycare since he was 3 months and just loves other dogs. If another dog gets aggressive with him, he will defend himself, but he doesn't initiate it. I think with good socialization from puppyhood on, Mals are wonderful

There is a great rescue for Malamutes here in Canada. They occasionally get puppies, but not often. One good thing with the rescues is they can tell you if they get along with other dogs because they have been in foster homes etc. I would highly recommend checking them out:

http://www.malamuterescue.com/

Hopefully there is something similar in Slovenia!

This is where our next baby will come from

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old October 6th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Well I know of a lady with Akitas also, and the two get along, but one is a hunter for certain. It will kill any animal it can find, cats, racoons, whatever. That said my girl is an Akita X and grew up with cats so isn't that aggressive with them. She is however dog aggressive and cannot be walked off leash any longer due to that. Akita's were originally bred as guardian dogs and pit fighting dogs, so they can be a handful. I think there are many better choices out there.

I think any type of lab or lab X could be a very stable dog. Retrievers in general are very loyal, yet easily trainable. I also like the Bouviers and they are great guardians, but I don't really know their true natures so can't advise on that.

Go cautiously since you are determined for a large dog.
Old October 6th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

I LOVE my German Shepherd. She is a great watch dog and can be intimidating to strangers.....but in reality, she is the kindest, most gentle thing. She's just appropriately wary and will hide her sweetness until my husband or I show that the person is welcome. As soon as she has that sign from us she's cuddly, licking, wagging etc.

She is incredibly smart, and adores my cat and any other dog she meets.

BONUS: I got her from a shelter when she was about one. She is so beautiful and loyal....I have no clue how she ended up there in the first place!

So I recommend Shepherds all the way.....and be sure to check shelters and rescues, because incredible GSDs end up there for no good reason at all.
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old October 6th, 2011, 04:24 PM

Wow Akita may be a cute dog, but really WOW I had no idea they are so dangerous of other animals. I think you saved my life, because If I wouldnt ask and just got a dog I dont know if my kittens would survive.

I love German Shepherds, we have one right now and he is the most beautiful dog in the world.
Old October 6th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Senior Contributor

There are a "ton" of shepherd crosses out there in the shelters....
Old October 6th, 2011, 06:26 PM

So all the shepherd breeds are okay and get along with other pets and people?
What about the Greenland Dog, Dalmatian and Karst Shepherd?
Old October 7th, 2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty11 View Post
Husky's are wanderers....I've met some pretty great shepherds, protective, loyal and get along with other animals.
Are all shepherds good or just German shepherds? Because I really like Karst Shepherd and some other breeds of shepherd.
Old October 7th, 2011, 09:30 AM

Breed is no guarantee. It is much more dependent on individual temperament and raising. A specific breed makes it more likely to get a certain temperament, but each dog is an individual and may differ from the standard breed characteristics. So 90% of sheperds are probably good with other dogs/animals, but there may be one puppy in the litter who is not. Evaluate any dog you want to add to your household carefully. How strong is their prey drive(chase reaction)? How do they get on with other dogs? Were they raised with other animals or with no exposure at all? If you start with a puppy, socialization is very important. Careful introductions to other dogs and cats known to be puppy friendly or at least tolerant to give them exposure is the best way to ensure your dog is comfortable and controllable around other animals. Training is also important, although you can't expect perfect obedience from a puppy. Introducing a dog to a cat with the dog on leash and plenty of room for the cat to leave if it gets uncomfortable is best.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old October 7th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

I too have personally seen a well trained Akita attack another dog (turned out okay thanks dog) while its owners had their heads turned for a millisecond. They are indeed hard wired to hunt.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter