Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 3rd, 2018, 07:17 PM

Dog with bad limp following long walk

So I know that it may have been in very poor interest, but recently I'd taken my dog with me for a relatively long (~10.5 miles) charity based walk. Initially she seemed to just be tired afterwards and for the next day or two she only walked a little stiffly without much else. My first thought was that her muscles might just be sore (Usually she doesn't go on walks of this scale), which is something that tends to happen to me as well at the start of the sports seasons at my high school. Usually though, I can just shake off the soreness by reworking the muscles and getting them readjusted to a working state at my next practice or on my own. Under this impression I took her for a short walk in an attempts to loosen her up so she might feel a little less rigid. This only proved to exacerbate the situation as she came into the next day with a limp, and seemed to be worse off than before she went on the walk, and on top of that she has begun vomiting for a reason that escapes my reason. Naturally I'm a little bit ambivalent about the whole situation; is the issue in that she's just stiff from the walk and I should be walking her in order to regain range of motion, or should I take a more indolent approach and allow her to rest in case the problem lies in the tendons/ligaments. My mom doesn't want to make any unnecessary visits to the vet, and considering the extent of any sort of medical knowledge I might have comes from a high school anatomy class I wanted to confer with somebody a little bit more knowledgeable.
Old April 3rd, 2018, 10:17 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Hi, Ji'Quiez.

Your profile says your dog is 9? So she's really a senior girl, even if she were a small breed. And, as I can attest to my dismay, getting older means much longer recovery times after half-marathons... Even with training, it just takes longer for older joints and skeletal systems to recover. Given that it sounds like you might have taken her into the walk 'cold', without working up to that distance gradually beforehand, it's not surprising that she should come up lame afterward.

I would let her rest for at least 2 weeks now to give those tendons and muscles a chance to heal. In the past, when we've had joint issues with the dogs, it was recommended that we leash-walk them just around the yard to eliminate, and nothing longer or more strenuous than that. You should be able to see some improvement after a few days, but keep it up for the full 2 weeks. If she's not improving at all, or if after 2 weeks, she's still lame, she should be evaluated by a vet.

The vomiting is disturbing, though. How often is it occurring? Is she keeping any food down? Is she keeping water down? Is she still pooping? If she has been vomiting for more than 24 hours, has any blood in the vomit or in her stool, or if she's very lethargic, a vet visit is necessary. Do you know how to check for dehydration? If she's getting dehydrated, she needs to see a vet, as well. Dehydration can be very serious.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 5th, 2018, 07:03 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

How is your dog dong, Je'Quiez? Did the vomiting stop?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."