Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 6th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Senior Contributor

heidiho,have you read the ingredients in SD?.....If not,do so....
Old May 6th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Senior Contributor

g s

yeah he has got about 50 toys,a kong..no he is potty trained,every now and then like if we have been playing i think he just gets lazy cause he will stop right in the niddle of playing and pee.....yeah royal canin has a dog food out just for g s might try it..what about that corn question i asked??
Old May 6th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Senior Contributor

g s

ok!! gonna get nutro tonight ans mix in with sd to ween him off of it..what is so bad abnout sd ??? come on fill me in// cause he does itch alot
Old May 6th, 2004, 01:52 PM

I fed Oliver (a Shiba, not a Shepard) Royal Canin puppy formula Nature's Recipe (??) when he was younger (as a supplement to his raw diet). It is a very good holistic dog food. Oliver did really well on it but I have since switched him to Petcurean's Go! Natural based on my breeder's rave reviews of it and also since I like to support a local Canadian company producing a high quality product. I don't know if Royal Canin makes a specific food for GSs or not.

Science Diet is not good due to the high quantity of corn in it. Also, if doggy seems to itch, you may want to avoid foods with a wheat base as well - also known to cause itching due to food allergies. Most high quality foods do not contain wheat or, if they do, it is low down on the ingredient's list.

Michelle
Old May 6th, 2004, 02:04 PM
Senior Contributor

g s

yeah royal canin makes one for gs./... so bottom line what do you recommend i feed my itchy dog??
Old May 6th, 2004, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidiho
ok!! gonna get nutro tonight ans mix in with sd to ween him off of it..what is so bad abnout sd ??? come on fill me in// cause he does itch alot
did you read my post a page or so back???... Basically it is the corn.

But if you read the post back there it will tell you how to read the ingredient list on the bag of dog food, so you can see for yourself the difference in better quality dog food.

ok here's the post again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBRA518
Most SD feeds have corn as the high percentage (first listed) ingredient. Check the ingred list, they are listed in decending order starting with the highest percentage ingredient.

Dog's can't digest corn very well, corn meat is a little better but still not great, so the corn is just filler... which is fine if it is down the list a ways... but not good as the first ingredient... the more corn in the feed.. the more that comes out the other end.. and you pick up later and the more you have to feed so your dog gets what he needs out of it.

There are lots of quality feeds as the pet stores... and I have found a great feed at costco called nutra nuggets lamb and rice, it is a great feed for a low cost - $22 for a 16 KG bag and my 75lbs rottie only gets 2-2.5 cups a day and looks and feels great.
Old May 6th, 2004, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidiho
yeah royal canin makes one for gs./... so bottom line what do you recommend i feed my itchy dog??
Well... I think you need to take the advise of stay away from corn and wheat based products. Read my above post, so you know how to read the label, and go shopping, read the labels and using the above info make an informed decision. If you are looking to stay away from corn and wheat, a high quality lamb and rice food maybe just what you need. If you have access to a Cost-co store you can try the food I use... I can't guarrentee it will work for you, but it does work for me and it's a little easier on the pocket book too.
Old May 6th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Senior Contributor

g s

ok,so no wheat and no corn,gonna try out royal canin for german s....
Old May 6th, 2004, 02:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Do not get a food the has corn as the first 4-5 main ingredients.

Talk to those in the pet food stores...They are pretty go.At least mine is...

Also,after play take him out so he can go to the bathroom.

I really don't think it's laziness,it's when you got to go,you got to go...LOL..

Many times I have stopped doing thing to go potty..........
Old May 6th, 2004, 02:52 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

If you block her off make sure there is no way she can get out and make sure there is nothing harmful she can get into!!
Old May 6th, 2004, 03:07 PM
Senior Contributor

g s

yeah,but most of the time he goes to the door and lets me know he has to go,only when we are in the middle of playing he just stops where he is and pees///// ok so no wheat products,or corn///
Old May 6th, 2004, 03:25 PM
banned user

I'm sorry it's not funny but somehow I got this image in my head.....poor Heidho going to the pet store secretly whispering to themselves....."No wheat no corn ..no wheat no corn" lol cracked me up!
Old May 6th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Senior Contributor

g s

taht is exactly what i will be doing...
Old May 6th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Senior Contributor

LMAO @ amaruq...........

BUT,if there is corn on the bottom of the list,it won't hurt....There is very little of it, as MBRA has stated.

Royal Canin does have a food just for the GSD....And can you believe they also have it for breeds of cats?They have it for Main Coons,Persians,Siamese...Go figure.

Do you have a pic of your pup?
Old May 6th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Senior Contributor

g s

so you think ryal c would be a good choice?? yeah i have pics but i dont know how to get them on computer,not that savy...he is ssoooooo beautiful,i never knew i could love something this much..
Old May 6th, 2004, 04:44 PM
Senior Contributor

You can try him on that......But first read the ingredients.....I'm not sure what ingredients are in it.You can do a search on the net for that food.

What you can do is go to the pet store,check that one out.But what I would do is get a smaller bag first and try him on that.Usually if there is an allergy to a food,you will see it in the first week.

Also,have you given it any thought as to giving him canned food?

And did you read all about Bloat and how to prevent it?Cause there are things you need to know if you are going to only give him dry...You will need to avoid food that has alfalfa,soybean and citric acid.
Old May 6th, 2004, 04:47 PM

If anyone is interested, the Royal Canin website that lists the ingredients of all of their foods is:

http://www.royalcanin.ca

Michelle
Old May 6th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Senior Contributor

g s

jeez!!! are you sure i can feed him....doesnt sound like anything ids good for them.......maybe i will just give him flavored water// So what do you feed your dog again????
Old May 6th, 2004, 04:54 PM
Senior Contributor

i had never heard of bloat before being here. my vet has never mentioned it and i have never met a dog that had it. charlie is pretty deep chested to so that is a bit strange..well i didnt know that big dogs ate more than once a day either.. the things ive never heard of (but then we know some pretty tough little farm/pig dogs). charlie ate 3X a day as a pup with all the right suplements ect. and once she reached 9month she has been fed once a day since. but she does get snax (denta bones ect) in the afternoon. she would just kill herself if she didnt get her breakfast, if it is late you should hear the carry on, it is like i am killing her. she has had the same routine for 8 years, a run and walk in the morning, followed by breakfast and then a really big nap (a girl needs the beauty sleep). well at least i can tell new dog owners now, charlie is fine and likes her diet ALOT so i wont change it or she may just eat me alive . i once new a man who had pig dogs that were fed every 2 days, he said it was natural, charlie and i just stared at him.
Old May 6th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks cmt..I would have done that but my comp is being a pain....

I feed my dogs Eagle Pack Holistic...It is all natural....My cat is on it too...For cats that is....LOL

Flavoured water.LMAO

There are very good foods out there.

There is :
Wellness
Neutro
Chicken Soup for the Dog(I think that's what it is called)
Old May 6th, 2004, 05:03 PM
Senior Contributor

My guys are both 8 and still get fed 3 times a day.....9 months old and fed once a day,hmmmmmm....Sorry,but I wouldn't do that.Once a day is just not enough for a dog/pup.

What breed is Charlie?
Old May 6th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Senior Contributor

oh i just didnt know, the vet said to do it and as a child and teen that is how all the dogs i knew were fed. i sortof thought that you would do that for little ones but i had no idea you did it for big dogs. but charlie has a really sensitive weight problem (desexed female GSD, can get real fat fast) and in the past has been very overweight. her weight is sort of good now (better than ever actually, yay ). but it is good information to have and share. one vet did once suggest that she could skip a feed once a week but i think that is just outrageous, i could not imagine her reaction if i didnt supply the goods, lol, she would be devestated, and would never shut up, you GSD owners would know that GSD talk, well if she is not fed on time my god, you should hear it, she just talks and moans until she gets it. but she does get a good snack in the arfternoon so she is happy with that. not to mention she follows me around all day and well, i just love to eat. so she does get extras also (the gal just loves a bit of vegemite toast) .
Old May 6th, 2004, 05:18 PM
Senior Contributor

i once new a staffie X dingo,
he was a total spunk and his name was ringo (great rhyming) he ate nothing but curry and chilli (his owners were feral type folk) he was 14 years old the last time i saw him
Old May 6th, 2004, 05:25 PM

I would think that similar to people, feeding dogs several smaller meals instead of one bigger one throughout their lives, especially with overweight dogs, would be beneficial. In fact, I finally got my parents to do this (their animals ALWAYS seem to get chubby but not obese thank God! - my mother just can't help herself) and the dogs appear to be doing even better, plus, they don't eat as quickly anymore since the meals are split up and they know they get another. In fact, they just changed their 10 year old Akita over to twice a day. She loves it and is losing weight!

Re the vet suggesting skipping a meal, I just can't see how this would help. Just cut down on the amount being fed everyday. I think my critters would kill me if I tried this one ! Ever try to convince a "hungry" Shiba that he isn't? Good luck with the moaning, crying and carrying on... it may start a temper tantrum and I wouldn't want to bug the neighbours...

Michelle
Old May 6th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Senior Contributor

g s

i went to royal canin site,sounds good to me i am gonna try there food made for german shepherds,looked at nutro and that does have corn in it.rc does not..
Old May 6th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Senior Contributor

g s

If you work 8 hours a day,it is impossible to feeds three meals a day,most vets say 2x is fine//
Old May 6th, 2004, 05:55 PM

Bob usually doesn't eat until mid afternoon. He's just not fixated on food at all. I asked the vet how much, when I should feed him and he said that for his size (about 80lb) he should eat about 4 cups/day. Maybe a bit more for a while since he's still a growing boy. At the beginning I would put out two in the morning and two early evening. In the morning he just doesn't eat breakfast before or after we go out for our first walk, so now I just put it out when we get home. He munches at it throughout the day, and eventually by nightfall it's all gone. Vet called that "free feeding".
My friends can't do that because they've got three dogs. They have to put the bowls out in separate rooms and the dogs eat it all at once or all the bowls go away until later in the day. She didn't do that before, but the poochies were having fun eating at each others food if someone didn't finish. Too many grumbling matches.
Anyhoo, Bob and I think Nutranuggets Lamb and Rice all ages rock! Tried the Royal Canine GS24(that's the GSD one) at the beginning, but Bob wasn't a big fan. Plus it made his poops.....how can I put this.....somewhat difficult to pick up. I mix in some diced Rollover, which is like a big salami made for dogs if I want him to eat at a particular time.

Funny story. This Rollover comes in a big sausage like thing, which you have to keep refrigerated. My buddies Mom was in town over the xmas holidays. Guess who made a sandwich out of the rollover without reading the label. Oh man. Poor woman. It says "not for human consumption" right on the label though.
Old May 6th, 2004, 06:02 PM
Senior Contributor

heidiho,is there any way you can have someone come and feed him and take him out?Like I have mentioned,8 hours in a crate(the 2 days you have said)is not good...Actually it's not fair...
Old May 6th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

It's not 'right' either!
Find someone to take the dog out and feed him. If you get a responsibility be responsible.
Old May 7th, 2004, 10:41 AM
Senior Contributor

g s

I am very responsible thank you,had a neighbor that was walking my dog,but he became a little to obsessed with my dog,so that wont work,gonna hang a sign by the mailbox,for a petsitter......My dog gets plenty of time with me,int he morning we run.after work we go for long walks,play in the apt,go everywhere together on the weekends......He is a very happy dog,except when i mess with his food...