Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 9th, 2005, 11:36 PM

To the Nelson, BC folks out there

Hi everyone!

I found this great job offer in Nelson BC and was very tempted to apply... Western Canada has always been "home away from home" for me and it would be so nice to go back to the mountains...

Anyways... Since I have two wagging things to think of in the deal, I went on the city's web site to check out their info about pets. Well, gee, guess I am gonna need some help to turn the place into a dog friendly area!

According to their laws, you can't take your dog anywhere, you face huges fees if you own a "vicious dog", whatever that is (no "visiousness" problems with mine though, for sure!) and your dog needs to learn to use a potty in order to go no.2 lawfully... If anyone from Nelson reads this, tell me: are dogs allowed anywhere other than their owner's living room?

Check this out, see for yourself... http://www.city.nelson.bc.ca/html/animal.html

I was thinking.. Do you think that sending them emails to ask them for a more "dog friendly environment" could make them change their views??? Sure hope so cause I know two goldens (and their owner) who would love to live in the great, wild west :-)
Old May 9th, 2005, 11:46 PM
banned user

You must ensure that your dog does not defecate on another
person's property, on any street, lane, boulevard, pathway, or
any other City or public property, or on any property used or
preserved as a park, recreation or cultural area.

WOW, do the dogs walk around in diapers?
Old May 10th, 2005, 12:02 AM

Diapers? I'd have to go with pullups for mine! LOL!

And this: If you do something wrong, according to their regulations, one of the consequences is that the dog might "be destroyed". I sure hate that expression. You destroy a thing, not a living being... In that case, I call it killing...

Pfffffffff!
Old May 10th, 2005, 12:57 AM
banned user

What the heck is this?:

"Dog Used Puppy Walking
Program Purposes

Fee: $ 15.00 $ 7.50"
Old May 10th, 2005, 12:17 PM

I know! And if you have a "vicious dog at large", you are fined 250$ but if you have "just" a "vicious dog", it's 1250$.

Seems like someone was sleeping at the switch when they passed those regulations!!!
Old May 10th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Personal servant to Joey

Nelson seems like such a laid back relaxed place I'm surprised their dog rules are so stricked. by the way I have seen diapers for dogs (at zellers) but it was along time ago so not sure if their still around...I have yet to see them on a dog though not sure that I would want to either.
Old May 10th, 2005, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by researchbulls
Nelson seems like such a laid back relaxed place I'm surprised their dog rules are so stricked. by the way I have seen diapers for dogs (at zellers) but it was along time ago so not sure if their still around...I have yet to see them on a dog though not sure that I would want to either.
I know, their rules seem out of place... Found it really surprizing. Maybe they just don't enforce them that much??? And for the diapers, I don't think cactus flower was serious... I know I wasn't!

Anyways, it is too bad because it sure is making my decision making very different. I know we would of had a blast, the girls and I, going for long walks in the bush... Spent a summer in Alberta/BC 3 years ago and it was MARVELOUS for both of us... But I don't want to live in a place where I have to bring a book of rules with me to make sure I don't forget any of them or I don't feel my dogs are welcome... And there is NO WAY IN THE WORLD I'll give my babies away to move somewhere. I'd rather go homeless with them than having to live anywhere without them...

Oh well... Anyone from Nelson to comment?
Old May 10th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Kitty Consort

My best friend now lives in Nelson,must ask her about this.
Its a great little place, and as mentioned, it has a very relaxed and casual approach that this definitley doesnt match.
I cant help but wonder if these bylaws were written by someone long ago (who wasnt very articulate) and are not 'really" enforced but merely "on the books".
Certainly the times I've visited Nelson I saw dogs walking down Baker Street
(their main drag) - none wearing diapers .
Old May 10th, 2005, 03:27 PM
<-----nut ball

The city of Brampton has basically the same rules and fines as were listed on that link.

Here is a link to the actual bylaw:

http://www.city.nelson.bc.ca/pdf/CON-2333.pdf

Most cities have the same rules and regulations, you just don't know they are there. I doubt that someone would report you if your dog pooped on the sidewalk, and you picked it up.

Quote:
35. (a) No owner shall permit his or her dog to defecate on another person's property, or on any other private property, or on any street, lane, boulevard, pathway, or any other City or public property, or on any property used or preserved as a park, or recreational or cultural area.
(b) An owner whose dog defecates on another person's property, or on any other private property, or on any street, lane, boulevard, pathway, or any other City or public property, or on any property used or reserved as a park, recreational or cultural area, shall forthwith remove the defecated matter.
in other words, try and let your dog poop at home, but if it happens, clean it up.

In Brampton you are not allowed to have a leash longer than 2 metres, or have your pets off leash at all unless in a leash free park. Tons of people walk around with flexi-leashes (which are against the law technically) and walk with their dogs off leash in the parks, not in the off leash area, and no one makes a big deal about it.

Last edited by raingirl; May 10th, 2005 at 03:29 PM.
Old May 10th, 2005, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock
Certainly the times I've visited Nelson I saw dogs walking down Baker Street
(their main drag) - none wearing diapers .
Lol!
I was there 3 years ago and I don't remember dogs in diapers either :-)

Thanks Raingirl for the the info on Brampton. Ya, I guess that it must be the same pretty much everywhere. l'll call the guy (for the job) up in Nelson and I'll ask him directly... Cause frankly, I just miss the mountains too much... I'm addicted to them... Seeing my Loulou running in the wilderness was magical. I want my little Dixie to experience it too and for longer than just a summer. I hate the steets of Verdun. I need to get away from all that concrete... I wish I could just tap some red shoes together and be there...
Old May 10th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Personal servant to Joey

[QUOTE=mamielou]I know, their rules seem out of place... Found it really surprizing. Maybe they just don't enforce them that much???
Quote:
And for the diapers, I don't think cactus flower was serious... I know I wasn't!
I wasn't serious about the doggy diapers either just thought I would mention it for fun.

I am not sure how to quote so this may not work