Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 30th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by adammo View Post
Now that my cat has been using it for 2+ years, is it possible to switch them to wet food?
Totally possible! I switched my guy at the age of 10, and although it wasn't easy, it was absolutely worth it. There are tips for transitioning on the www.catinfo.org link, but basically the main rules are to take it slow, stop free-feeding dry (go to set meals with a measured amount of dry - which is gradually decreased) and if needed, try to make the wet more familiar or extra appetizing by sprinkling it with pulverized kibble or treats, dried bonito flakes, freeze-dried meat (Halo Liv-a-Littles or Real Food Toppers), parmesan cheese, nutritional yeast, tuna juice, etc.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old April 30th, 2009, 12:06 PM

That's good to know.

I did have another question. Instead of wet food, would going to "higher quality" dry food be ok as well? We started off with some expensive stuff for my cat, but she never ate very much at all. When I moved into the other house (with a different cat) my cat kept eating the cheaper dry food that the other cat always ate. I never really knew the dangers before and feel like a bad parent now .

So are there any high quality dry food brands that would be ok or should I go to wet food? What about brands like Iams, and Medical?

Thanks again!
Old April 30th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I did have another question. Instead of wet food, would going to "higher quality" dry food be ok as well?
Nope. Kibble is a poor choice for cats no matter what the ingredients or how expensive it is. The biggest problem is the fact that it's dry. Cats evolved in the desert, where pretty much all of their water intake was from the fresh prey that they caught (60-80% moisture). Consequently, they have a very low thirst drive and when fed only dry food (10% moisture), are chronically dehydrated. This can lead to some very serious bladder and urinary tract issues, as well as possibly kidney failure.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old April 30th, 2009, 05:31 PM

Hi Adammo!

Quote:
"how would you id your cat",
Yes, how would I id my cat? Collar and micro chip? Don't SPCA kittens come micro chipped?

I think I'm getting cold feet. The more I acquire cat things, and clean in preparation is the more I'm scared that maybe this isn't a good idea.

Oh well, its off to a bit more cleaning and we'll see.
Old April 30th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Kitty pimp

o comn you have had cats before

as to the food and budget issues of course it would be nice to feed as well as possible putplenty of cats i have known have thrived friskies wet
when you arent a college student or have more in the budget them no worries

as far as cat tress two boxes and a blanket a cheap book shelf

best toys cehapa
a big paper bag
some string or better a long piece of elastic like you get in sweat pants
a lazer tag that pricey but is sooo good

NO COLD FEET! the kit will be fine with a good hoooman to watch over her

cats are survivors remember
Old April 30th, 2009, 10:00 PM

Lol! - Kitty Pimp?! LOL!

Alas, dogs and fish yes, cats no. But I'm all set and ready. Will update after my visit to the SPCA.

Last edited by WantingToLearn; April 30th, 2009 at 10:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old May 1st, 2009, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantingToLearn View Post
Hi Adammo!

Yes, how would I id my cat? Collar and micro chip? Don't SPCA kittens come micro chipped?

I think I'm getting cold feet. The more I acquire cat things, and clean in preparation is the more I'm scared that maybe this isn't a good idea.

Oh well, its off to a bit more cleaning and we'll see.

Haha I didn't know how to answer this either. She said the microchip will be fine.

You'll be fine with a kitten. Another thing we use to play with them are different types of strings. Just run them around you, and they will be jumping all over the place.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 06:12 PM

I know I shouldn't have....

http://fredericton.kijiji.ca/c-pets-...AdIdZ124121051

But please. This kitten is absolutely ADORABLE. And theoretically I'd be saving him/her from ...well I'm assuming from death (and from labs, and from potentially abusive homes...). If this cat has been vaccinated and neutered/spayed, couldn't this be a good option? I'm just saying, does it really matter where I get my kitty from, as long as I am prepared and able to give it a good home? To be honest, my b/f is leaning towards this darling from Kijiji, and I'm still open.

I know people say that by adopting from the SPCA I'd be saving a life, but wouldn't I also be doing that by getting one from kijiji as well?

Last edited by WantingToLearn; May 2nd, 2009 at 06:14 PM. Reason: link issues...
Old May 2nd, 2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantingToLearn View Post

http://fredericton.kijiji.ca/c-pets-...AdIdZ124121051

But please. This kitten is absolutely ADORABLE. And theoretically I'd be saving him/her from ...well I'm assuming from death (and from labs, and from potentially abusive homes...). If this cat has been vaccinated and neutered/spayed, couldn't this be a good option? I'm just saying, does it really matter where I get my kitty from, as long as I am prepared and able to give it a good home? To be honest, my b/f is leaning towards this darling from Kijiji, and I'm still open.

I know people say that by adopting from the SPCA I'd be saving a life, but wouldn't I also be doing that by getting one from kijiji as well?
Normally the problem is that most of these kitten are not neutered and spayed. I looked at the kijiji way first as well as the SPCA did not have any kittens. But to be spayed and the shots would have cost me close to $300. If you purchase through the SPCA they cost $125 and include all of the shots and being spayed. At least I think I have that right...
Old May 2nd, 2009, 07:22 PM
-

The kitten on Kijiji may be "free" but I really doubt that it is spayed/neutered or been wormed or had it's first shots and been vet checked. By adopting through the spca you are getting all that done for alot cheaper than getting a so-called free kitten and having it done yourself.

Also, by taking this kitten you are supporting someone that has not bothered to get their cat spayed and may very likely allow it to get pregnant again.

Spring is the time that most kittens are born and May is the month that the spca usually gets many of them dropped off. Please keep checking as I'm sure you will find one there that you fall in love with.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 08:47 PM

Also if you adopt from the SPCA you are supporting an organization that's mostly run by volunteers . Also the cost of adopting a cat is usually less than what they put into it. They are lucky to break even on costs .

Oh and if you adopt from the SPCA you are freeing a spot so another needy cat can go in. I know for a fact the Fredericton SPCA has to turn animals away because they are so darn full :sad: .

Noel- 4 year old black and white cat
Felix- 6 year old black cat
Maggie-3 year old Newfoundland Dog
Sparkie- Puppy Shih zu
Old May 5th, 2009, 04:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi
I just wanted to mention something about letting kitten or cats play with string. If they eat it it can get wrapped around their interstines and they will need surgery. It can also kill them. They can get it wrapped around their necks or whatever if they are left unattended with it. ( Im a worry wart.) I only allow mine to play with string when it is attached to the other end of an interactive toy.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Senior Contributor

I have an idea about food! Small towns always have a feed mill. I used to buy quality food from one here in ON. Check it out.

Last edited by Marty11; May 5th, 2009 at 03:11 PM.